I was considering moving and doing business in Dom Rep until reading the safety topic

b0nkers

Feb 24, 2012
Hi, my first day finding and reading this forum.

I'm in the process of finding a pace to settle for awhile and live the dream. Nice home or penthouse on or close to a white sand beach with crystal clear waters. Spend my days playing in the ocean and freely exploring the jungle. Hire someone to help with domestic needs and take a closer look at the Free Zone.

Initially, I have been looking at Costa Rica or Brazil. The Dom Rep just recently came to interest after hearing about advantages of doing business in the Free Zone. Tax free for 20 years? Sounds good.

After reading the thread here about safety concerns, I'm not so sure this is a good idea after all. I want to live free, happily, in the sunshine and never have to worry about razor wire fences, bars over the windows, carrying a 9mm, barking alarm systems.... I want it to be perfectly safe to SMILE and be happy like a kid again.

With everything said in that thread, why on Earth would anyone want to visit, let alone relocate to the Dom Rep?

Is Costa Rica the way to go?

Thanks

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Let's see I have been living here full time for 6 years with out any problems.

I was robbed within 1 hour of landing in Costa Rica... Go figure.

Bob K

b0nkers

Feb 24, 2012
Are these posts in the safety thread by overly fearful people? It's made the DR sound like a lawless war zone, where you might get mugged for smiling too much or being outwardly happy, lol. Not to mention the posts about the police being worse than the criminals?

I've just never seen so much talk about safety on than I have on these forums.. which is an obvious concern to anyone considering a move. Please note, I've done extensive traveling to more than 50 countries and have seen the poorest of the poor neighborhoods, and have never been close to feeling I was in danger.

b0nkers

Feb 24, 2012
Nvm... Mods feel free to close or delete the topic. It's just going to be trolled. I'll look for info and advise elsewhere.

Cheers

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
Safety is a concern in any country, the Dominican Republic is no different. I've lived here for nearly a decade, brought my kids here when they were teenagers and now have brought my grandson here. Why? Because it is safe, serene, relaxing and beautiful here, IMHO.

There are others who write as if the country is a warzone and maybe it is where they live. I know I wouldn't want to live on the south side of Philadelphia, either! Pick your spot, use common sense in security and you should be fine. You'll love it here.

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
Firstly, my question is, Have you ever been here to see for yourself? There are a lot of varying opinions on this board, but you have to come and see for yourself. As Castellamonte stated it depends on where you are. I have lived here 8 yrs and haven't been held up or robbed, but I know other people that have on numerous occasions...sometimes trouble gravitates to some people more than others....I love the island, and feel safer here than in Calgary Alberta Canada.
But until you come and find answers for yourself, you won't really know if its good for you or not.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Yes, i agree with Castellmonte and Hammerdown, i travel this island weekly and never had a problem; i partially grew up here and went to high school here (in Bonao) and never had a problem; i work late at night on the beach here on the North coast and never had a problem; i walk around at night and never had a problem. but then i know some expats down here who stumble around drunk every night, and sometimes try and purchase drugs, and they seem to find trouble all of the time. Crime can be random sometimes and find anyone, anywhere, including Bob K, in the above post, but I really think crime is mostly through association and who you hang out with and what you do with your time.

Come on down Bonkers. this place isn't any more dangerous then wherever you're from. there are good people and bad people. it's like everywhere in the world down here.

Frank

MiaMaria

Feb 23, 2012
My husband and I were really looking forward to checking out DR for maybe settling in at some point, but after reading all the posts about driving to places with a shotgun on the front seat, never stopping for anything, people killing you in your sleep at home, we've begun to wonder. We like the "pioneer" spirit of making your own way, but if it's at the cost of your life, and the lives of your family, I don't think it's worth it.

You said there were places to avoid, but can you tell us where it would be safer then? Or does it depend on a certain areas of different towns or something like that? In our town: Louisville, Kentucky, there are places you don't go into if you value your life, but then again, places that are really safe. But the crime isn't organized either, not like armed militia barging into your home (like that one gentleman in JD? whose gf got gang-raped.).

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
My husband and I were really looking forward to checking out DR for maybe settling in at some point, but after reading all the posts about driving to places with a shotgun on the front seat, never stopping for anything, people killing you in your sleep at home, we've begun to wonder. We like the "pioneer" spirit of making your own way, but if it's at the cost of your life, and the lives of your family, I don't think it's worth it.

You said there were places to avoid, but can you tell us where it would be safer then? Or does it depend on a certain areas of different towns or something like that? In our town: Louisville, Kentucky, there are places you don't go into if you value your life, but then again, places that are really safe. But the crime isn't organized either, not like armed militia barging into your home (like that one gentleman in JD? whose gf got gang-raped.).

MiaMaria,

If you're not in the drug business and you're not hanging around the wrong crowd, it's no more dangerous here than Louisville, Kentucky--in fact, probablly much less dangerous.

Again, just to reiterate: Some expats come down here and find trouble around every corner becuase of a myriad of reasons--some have psychological issues, some have drinking problems, some have drug issues, some are incredibly naive (particlualry people from southwest Ohio and Indiana...count yourself lucky, you're from Kentucky!), etc. etc. the list of people that come down here running from their problems back home is as endless as the sky.

For those people whom are relatively normal--but not completely, this place is as placid and serene as any island in the sun that still practices cannabilism. Just kidding. This place is wonderful. the people are warm and friendly, the culture is diverse and ecclectic, the beaches are beautiful, and the weather is awesome for anyone coming from the Ohio Valley--including Kentucky.

For motorcyclist, this island is heaven, for ATV or four-wheelers, its an adventure that surpasses anything the US has to offer. For someone who is retired and just wants to sit on the beach or by the pool all day lounging, taking in the sigths, and using a local (man or women) booty as a shelf or drink tray, it's delightful. there are no flat butts on this island!! people go about their daily lives in a normal, albeit exciting fashion--mating like rabbits when the electricty goes out (not too worry if you're in a gated community or a good condo complex). the North Coast is one of the best places that the island has to offer with mountains, water sports, world class kite surfing competition, nightlife, good restaurants on the beach, etc. the mountains and ocean are within 15 minutes away from each other here on the north coast. That's why it is the best. Hands down.

Come on down, i'll hang out and talk to you or anyone else about anything. I sit at a bar on the beach 4 days a week. i don't care if you've been abducted by UFO's in Louisville, i can talk to anyone about anything--including the stray dogs and donkeys that accidently wander into my bar. I can talk donkey talk and dog speech. I'm fluent in all languages, including Martian.

PS. One thing...i strongly dislike religion (i went to a religious school for 8 years), it's the only thing i refuse to engage in or talk about.

Frank

DOC1727

Aug 30, 2011
Costa Rica is not as safe as it use to be and there are lot's of robberies and crime as well as some kidnapping incidents that have occured. Do yourself a favor and just go to Costa Rica for yourself and watch the news and talk to people and get a sense of the place for yourself. The place has definetly changed to the worst and it has become very expensive to live and it is flooded with expats to the point that the goverment is trying to turn some away by making it harder to get permenent residency and increase the requirements that was the impresion I got when I decided to look at the place as an option for retirement and changed my mind. Try Panama or Colombia as an alternative option in my humble opinion.

Last edited:

MiaMaria

Feb 23, 2012
Thank you so much for the replies. I think I will copy/paste and e-mail my hubby this.

We're not naive when it comes to expectations for sure, and my husband grew up "roughing-it-out" in the Oklahoma back woods :rambo: I guess we won't know whether to go for it or not, until visiting the place and meeting people. However, one would have to venture out of the AIs and look around to get a decent feel of the land, but that still sounds a little daunting :rolleyes: Anyway, thanks for taking time to reply!

May 29, 2006
I've been looking at Columbia or Chile as alternates to the DR, but the proximity to US makes the DR a lot more attractive. I very much doubt that the crime is any better in Costa Rica or other countries. The crime rate in the DR isn't bad as long as you use the same common sense as other ex-pats. There are usually enough people who don't have it to keep the thieves busy. Foreigners are targeted in any country they go to, including within the US. There are bars on the windows in NYC, there's going to be bars on the windows in the DR. Things sound a lot worse in Mexico..

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I am the only one on this board that can say this:
I have been here over four decades and never been held up. Yeah, one of our gardiners/gofer/guard ripped up off for booze, and some of the neighborhood kids stole equipment from my workshop, but that happens all over.

Like other have said above: if you lead a decent live, there is no reason to think that you are in danger or are going to be the subject of some assault.

Folks, I live almost in the heart of Santiago, and we do not have bars on all of our windows. Some yes, it is common sense in a poor country. I have gone to bed and forgotten to lock doors or have even left a door open, and nothing....

Unless you live here for a good while and get a feel for the place all this talk is bullsh!t....Distance learning won't work...Try it, and maybe you will like it.

HB

Last edited:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I agree with MOST of thee comments/observations made about the DR,"so far.
There is one "Observation" I MUST disagree with.
"There Are NO FAT BUTTS on the island"????
I RESEMBLE that remark!
And so do hundreds of thousands of "Dominicanas"!
I would not stay away from the DR because of "crime",or "fear",there are a lot of "Better" reasons not to come!
Cris Colon
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
To the OP: I can see why it may be confusing for someone new to this forum. You tried to get a little familar with the DR by reading DR1.
Included in posts on DR1 are many personal stories and tips about crime in the DR. When you mention your concern about moving to the DR forum posters proceed to tell you it's OK. Well... for a newbie..which is it? It must be confusing to you.

Sohrab

Oct 1, 2010
""There Are NO FAT BUTTS on the island"????"
Since this is a sensitive issue:
Criss, you mis-read Franks writing. Please re-read and don't miss quote.:laugh:

imfromda305

Dec 9, 2011
With everything said in that thread, why on Earth would anyone want to visit, let alone relocate to the Dom Rep?

Yo my man, move to Miami.. that would be the best thing for you to do. Other than, just go and spend 2 or 3 weeks to see what the city is all about you'ld like to live in.

In all honesty, on this forum and even people I've met on the streets keep telling me I can't walk around with my chain on. That dumb shhh never has been said to me anywhere else in the world unless you're trying to visit the ghetto.

The thing is, if you ain't flashing then nothing is going to happen to you.. it's not like Dominicans are like vampires at night just waiting to suck the blood out of you.

Before going to Santo Domingo, almost all the questions I've asked were answered with: JUST COME OVER AND FIND OUT!

I did, I like it.. and I'm about to go back.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
I am the only one on this board that can say this:
I have been here over four decades and never been held up.
HB

Correction Hillbilly, you're the second person on this board who can say this. i seriously doubt you've been here longer than me--1964 to 1969, left in 1970 after i accidently burned down my grandfather's tobacco farm in Bonao after playing fireman with his tobacco and my urine--i ran out of urine (it made the New York Times). Returned in 1972 and spent every summer here until 1978 when i went to high school in Bonao from 78 to 81. returned every summer until i moved here in 1993 after my father retired and came back home to Bonao to be with his family--brothers, uncles, aunts, cousins, etc.

I posted some pictures of me and my family--including my father, uncles, sister, and cousins in the "Dominican Photos Thread" last week started by Pichardo. those pictures are from 1964 thru 1969.

Anyway, it's all the same in the end. We're all here for a myriad of reasons but, mostly, we're here because we like it or love it, and until you come down and try it for yourself, there's just no way of knowing the million dollar question: "Do i like beautiful weather, a friendly culture, round butts that make for good tray tables, cold beer, beautiful water, friendly smiles, majestic mountains, stunning valleys and mountain vistas, and inept officials...and oh...Jevoha Witnesses, Evangelicals, Baptists, Mormons--and a myriad of other religiously inclined people who feel its their duty to come down here to try and convert the natives."

Frank

(Sorry Frank, but I have been here since 1962.....I just did not want to exaggerate! So you might be #2, but Remember Dolores, the owner of DR1, has been here all of her life!!!)

Last edited by a moderator: