Need to get to HINCHE

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
If someone could please give me a little information on how to get from Santiago to HINCHE Haiti, I need to be there for 1.5 days for something with my organization. Can I catch Metro or Caribe Tours? What do I need to take as far as identification, what can I leave behind? Any tips, etc.? I am unfamiliar with Haiti.

SHALENA

Jul 4, 2010
If someone could please give me a little information on how to get from Santiago to HINCHE Haiti, I need to be there for 1.5 days for something with my organization. Can I catch Metro or Caribe Tours? What do I need to take as far as identification, what can I leave behind? Any tips, etc.? I am unfamiliar with Haiti.

SHALENA

Hinche is closer to Cap-Ha?tien than Port-au-Prince, so maybe your best bet is arranging travel through the North, that is, the border crossing at Dajab?n. By the way, did you know that Hinche (formerly known as Hincha) was the birthplace of Pedro Santana, Dominican Republic's first president? : )

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
There is a good road from PaP to Hinche. The road from Cap to Hinche is terrible - far worse than anything in the D.R.
That was the situation up to 1 year ago when I last drove those roads.
100% bad idea to go to Cap and drive down to Hinche.

x x x

Jul 4, 2010
There is a good road from PaP to Hinche. The road from Cap to Hinche is terrible - far worse than anything in the D.R.
That was the situation up to 1 year ago when I last drove those roads.
100% bad idea to go to Cap and drive down to Hinche.

x x x

The road is not that bad, except for a stretch around San Rafael. But if you don't want to go by land, you can always take one of the three charter flights a week from Port au Prince to Hinche.

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
Caribe goes Santiago to Cap or Santo Domingo to Port au Prince. Fly if you can, if I was there I would carry you, I'm a brujo.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Well, seems that my trip is a no go since the trsveling is outrageous. From Santiago to Santo Domingo, from SD to Port-Au-Prince, spend the night in PAuP, from PAuP to Hinche. This is too much as I only have 3 days possibly to spare, and wanted to spend one whole day with them. 2 days of traveling??? Can't do it.
Thanks for the advice, and the lady from VOYAGES LUMIERE is great!!! Her name escapes me at this moment but I will let you guys know,
Thanks,

SHALENA

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Why didn't you do Santiago-Cap Haitian-Hinche??? Seems doable in less than a day...

Is there something that wrong with the roads>??

HB curious, really.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Hinche is a hole anyway.
Have them visit you?

Ummm, I think that it would be nearly impossible for 4 Midwives, laboring women, and all staff of the Birthing Center to be coordinated to get to Santiago to visit me. Thanks for the suggestion though :s

SHALENA

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Why didn't you do Santiago-Cap Haitian-Hinche??? Seems doable in less than a day...

Is there something that wrong with the roads>??

HB curious, really.

HB, I looked into that and on the Caribe tours website, there did not look like any buses went to Haiti from Santiago...I kept getting the "No disponible" when I clicked on the schedule. And trying to get someone to answer the phone there was nearly impossible. IAnd the biggest problem is that it seems that I will miss the buses from PAuP and Cap Haitian to Hinche unless someone knows different?
If anyone knoWs different please let me know....really did want to see them.

SHALENA

jackichan

Bronze
Jun 23, 2011
Hope you find a solution. But Most importantly remember to carry AND protect your documents just incase the immigration try playing games and block you from crossing over to the dr

Good luck

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
HB, I looked into that and on the Caribe tours website, there did not look like any buses went to Haiti from Santiago
There is a daily Caribe Tours bus from Santiago to Okap. The tickets are cheap. The journey takes about 5 hours, less if the formalities at the border don't take too long. My girlfriend went last week and the bus departed at 12 noon and arrived in Okap at 4.00 pm (5.00 pm DR time), but I cannot say if it always leaves at noon, or whether they run on Sundays. I am old and doddery and I found the trip to be clean and comfortable so it should be a breeze for a younger, fitter person.

Okap to Hinche I know nothing about. Maybe hire a private taxi?

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
There is a daily Caribe Tours bus from Santiago to Okap. The tickets are cheap. The journey takes about 5 hours, less if the formalities at the border don't take too long. My girlfriend went last week and the bus departed at 12 noon and arrived in Okap at 4.00 pm (5.00 pm DR time), but I cannot say if it always leaves at noon, or whether they run on Sundays. I am old and doddery and I found the trip to be clean and comfortable so it should be a breeze for a younger, fitter person.

Okap to Hinche I know nothing about. Maybe hire a private taxi?

getting from Cap Haitian will require going down to Mirebalais and up to Hinche

much better to go to PauP

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
That would be "le voyage au Cap Haitian" not Okap...please...even if you are in your dottery...

Anyway, that departure at noon is what I have heard, too.

HB

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Well, seems that my trip is a no go since the trsveling is outrageous. From Santiago to Santo Domingo, from SD to Port-Au-Prince, spend the night in PAuP, from PAuP to Hinche. This is too much as I only have 3 days possibly to spare, and wanted to spend one whole day with them. 2 days of traveling??? Can't do it.
Thanks for the advice, and the lady from VOYAGES LUMIERE is great!!! Her name escapes me at this moment but I will let you guys know,
Thanks,
\

SHALENA

her name is Jaqui LaBrum.. she used to be a Methodist Missionary back 30 year ago and retired to Haiti about 12 years ago and opened her travel agency. She is a Brit and knows EVERYTHING =and EVERYONE.. she can fix you up with every thing from a shopping tour of Croix de Bouquet to a Carnival trip to Jacmel.. When Lonely Planet FINALLY sent someone down to do a new addition of their Haiti guidebook, he went to Jax who sent him around the country. I cannot recommend her highly enough.

Sorry, Shalena. but it does seem a no go with only three days... next time come with a week and I will perhaps go with you as I have always wanted to go to Hinche.. have almost relatives there.

There are guided tours put on by a local NGO up in the mountains near there -- Seeds For Haiti

they run out of NYC pretty regularly and are very reasonable..

I was almost on the one that ended up in PauP the night of the earthquake

thank you, Stars!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
As of this moment, there is the information regarding Santiago-Cap Haitian by Caribe Tours
Departure: ONLY from Las Colinas Station. IMPORTANT TO KNOW.
TIME: 1200 Noon
Cost: US$46 from here to there and US$45 from Cap Haitian to here. This fare includes transportation and frontier crossing.

Hope this helps the cause a bit.

HB

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
That would be "le voyage au Cap Haitian" not Okap...please...even if you are in your dottery ...
Baffling post!
"Okap" is the correct name of the city in Haitian Creole, and therefore the name most used by Haitians. It therefore seems polite to use it.
"Cap-Ha?tien" is the correct name of the city in French.
"Cabo Haitiano" is the correct name of the city in Spanish.
"Cap Haitian" is not correct in any language I know, although I am unfamiliar with hillybilly dialects.

I was unable to find "dottery" in either real English or American English dictionaries. Maybe that is hillybilly dialect as well?