llego papa is it really going to make a change in the campo??

amstellite

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
I have always taken with a grain of salt anythingsaid by any politician ,whether it be here in the US or when I was in the UK... now this election is kicked into gear in the DR and everywhere I see "llego papa" for Hipolito.... motoconchos with flags behind them " llego papa" ... the families in the campo I know seem to be 100 percent behind this guy... they believe he is for the poor, their words.. can this be true? I am cynical..will he suddenly make the lives of the poor so much more rewarding, and like Moses lead them to opportunity and wealth? I hear this guy was the former president and there were issues....there is a fervour in the campo ( well Villa Gonzales and el Limon near Santiago , where I go) that this guy will miraculously change things... but to my eyes the corruption endemic in the DR will prevent any way forward... makes me very sad but I can t see what is going to change....I just see the people being disillusioned once more....

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Hipolito is not going to end corruption and I find it hard to believe that anyone who was here during his first term thinks otherwise. The guy was a disaster. If he had gotten a second term the rate of exchange would be over 100 to 1 by now. and Hipolito would have 3 mansions instead of the one he got for himself in that presidency.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The campo might be behind him because they have short memories about the damage he caused to the country as a whole, but how many total votes do they count for versus Santiago and Santo Domingo? For me it would be like having George W. Bush come back and run in the next US election. I do not think Hipolito will win but I do not see his competition as being much better.

yasmin

Jun 16, 2005
I remember an interview during his first term when he said: para que las escuelas necesitan computadores? Son platanos y yucca que se come! (why do they need computers at school, bananas and yucca is what we eat!) I agree completely he made one big mess during his first term, but we all now how they try to brainwash people, especially the poor. Because they are the biggest group in the country it is their votes they have to catch.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
I laugh every time I hear one of his ads on the radio.

He talks in a measured way, attempting to sound educated and serious. I can just picture a speech coach looking him in the eye and helping him through it as in the film "The King's Speech".

No pega. It doesn't stick.

You can't make a bruto fina with speech lessons.

jackichan

Bronze
Jun 23, 2011
I remember an interview during his first term when he said: para que las escuelas necesitan computadores? Son platanos y yucca que se come! (why do they need computers at school, bananas and yucca is what we eat!) I agree completely he made one big mess during his first term, but we all now how they try to brainwash people, especially the poor. Because they are the biggest group in the country it is their votes they have to catch.

That tells it all..

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"People get the government they deserve"!
Today's "Diario Libre" reports that the Minister of Agriculture has 38 "Sub Ministers, all getting big salaries,and only a few actually have responsibilities.
The "Law" says that the dept. may only have three!
CC

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Today's "Diario Libre" reports that the Minister of Agriculture has 38 "Sub Ministers, all getting big salaries,and only a few actually have responsibilities.
CC

Getting kickbacks from 38 is a lot more profitable than 3.......business as usual...
You have to ask, why stop at 38.....

B in Santiago

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
CC
If a law is not enforced does it actually exist?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"YES",but only on paper!
Now,"If a tree falls in the forest,and there is no one there to hear it fall,does it make a noise"?????
Who gives a "F-iretr-UCK"?
"Yo No"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
CC

It was in yesterday's DR1 News:

38 deputy ministers at Agriculture
The Ministry of Agriculture has 38 deputy ministers earning high wages and enjoying a series of perks. 29 of them work directly with Agriculture Minister Salvador (Chio) Jimenez. Only nine of the ministers have specific roles, as reported in Hoy.
According to law, the Ministry should only have three deputy ministers, in charge of the areas of farm production and marketing, natural resources and research and farm extensions. The deputy minister positions are considered technical, not political posts, in Law 8-65 that created the Ministry. The wage of a deputy minister is RD$60,080, but they enjoy a series of perks such as vehicle plans, vehicle running costs, cell phone and travel expenses, etc.
On 19 February the Ministry of Public Administration instructed the government to reduce the number of deputy minister posts to comply with the law. The Ministry of Agriculture has 9,201 employees and spends over RD$100 million on wages, as reported in Hoy.
The World Economic Forum regards the Fernandez administration as a world leader in wasteful spending.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
We call some people "Stupid",but remember,he WAS President here.He "somehow" managed to amass a huge fortune,big mansions,luxery "Everything",and all with other peoples money!
Doen't sound that STUPID to me.
He is definately "ignorant",but STUPID,I don't think so!
""Dumb Like A Fox"!
CC

May 12, 2005
We call some people "Stupid",but remember,he WAS President here.He "somehow" managed to amass a huge fortune,big mansions,luxery "Everything",and all with other peoples money!
Doen't sound that STUPID to me.
He is definately "ignorant",but STUPID,I don't think so!
""Dumb Like A Fox"!
CC

Dumb as a stump but sly as a fox

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
with regard to politicians, (anywhere), there are only two rules:

rule 1: they only care about themselves and getting elected by whatever means

rule 2: they only care about themselves and getting elected by whatever means

Just because you see campaign material spread all over, does not mean anything unless the people displaying it actually get out and vote. Even then it might not matter if the election is rigged.

Randall Bell

Feb 17, 2012
Gentlemen and Ladies,

I take offense to the notion that as your 37'th sub-minister of agriculture, I somehow do 'nothing' all day.

This is simply untrue. Just today I have sampled some of this country's agricultural products (yuca, rice, beans, pollo), and I am at this moment acting as an ambassador to this industry by liaising with the extranjero community on dr1 about the virtues of eating and drinking locally produced food and beer.

At your constant service,

RB (el 37), aka, 'el phantom'. aka 'el botellonazo'