Bano in the campo

amstellite

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
ok I posted earlier about building a bano in El Limon for the family I know there, but looking over the comments, I cannot afford that right now. The current bano is a three-sided corrugated iron affair, with a rickety unhinged " door " of sorts, which is placed in front, a leaky roof of zinc, and wooden box- like thing for the deal. very old, very shanty, full of holes, and extremely sharp edges... about 2 feet square if that .... maybe what I could do is at least for now buy the new corrugated iron walls and roof and a new door? would that be such an expense? any ideas on how I might at least clean it up a bit for these guys ( and me. since I am the one staying at their house for a week or so....camping was never my schtick...a night in the woods maybe but not a whole week.) .So what would it cost to buy some new corrugated iron sheets and put at least a new clean secure and safe shell up?

fidget

Sep 2, 2004
I kind of understand your need to be helpful, even your need to have someone depend on you. I imagine you lead a lonely life, maybe I?m wrong. But why would you feel responsible for a bano? They didn?t keep the old one clean, why should it be different with the one you buy?
If they can?t get their act together for the basics, I don't see how you could improve their lifes. Wouldn't your help be more effective in an orphanage or some other project?
It is really none of my business and it is possible that I mis-read your posts, but I'm afraid you are looking for a family and the ones available in the DR are the families in need of your money. If you're ok with it and see it as it is: access to a family in exchange for money, then fine. If not: you're in for a huge disappointment. At least don't waste your money on a bano. Spend it for a hotel, don't hurt your butt ;-)

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
8mm 4'x4' sheets of pressure treated ply timber comes in at rd320 a sheet, to build a netty 8'x4'. So, you need to buy 9 -10 sheets @ rd320 p/s 3,200rd. 21'x2' studwork will be enough and cost you less than 600rd for the lot. Total timber costs + asphalt, inc diesel and crates RD4,000+or-

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
WE,especially Americans,like to believe that what we see as "Important",doesn't mean "$HIT" (Sorry,couldn't help myself)to people living in underdeveloped countries like the DR.
"Kitchens & Bathrooms" sell houses where we come from.In the DR,they want to "Crap",and get out.Hell,they can't even put the seat up or down,PI$$ everywhere,and never "flush",even when there is a tank and water.Don't you just love seing all those "Mojones" floating in the bowl?Why would they care what the "Bano" looks like? The smell alone is enough to make you get out as fast as possible.
When we think we are doing these people a favor by giving them what we believe is important,we ALWAYS fail!
Give them a "Celular","Tenis","Wiki",a "BIEN FRIA",a new domino table,with new "Dominos" something of real value to a "Dominicano"!
CC

amstellite

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
perfect Givea dog.... that helps... no comments, just the plain facts .. thanks man
8mm 4'x4' sheets of pressure treated ply timber comes in at rd320 a sheet, to build a netty 8'x4'. So, you need to buy 9 -10 sheets @ rd320 p/s 3,200rd. 21'x2' studwork will be enough and cost you less than 600rd for the lot. Total timber costs + asphalt, inc diesel and crates RD4,000+or-