Sending Money: Xoom Alternative

Vibe_2020

Jul 1, 2003
Does anyone know of a reliable economical way to send money to the Dominican Republic?

Xoom is very unreliable and has caused me lots of frustration.

Deyvi

*** I love DR1 ***
Dec 23, 2009
Find a VIAMERICAS agent and send dollars with them thru Caribe Express. What problems did you have with Xoom?

Feb 7, 2007
To be honest a friend of mine had some issues with Xoom couple of years back when they took too long to process/verify her transaction. But overall Xoom works fine.

FredBlogs

Jun 18, 2009
I have tried using zoom, successfully, however they advertise 'money available in 15 mins' in reality it seems to take 3/4 days from my US account, is this the norm ?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"No Way"!
At least after the first time.First time,they will call you by telephone to verify all your banking info.I welcome that! That time it took a few hours.After that only an hour or so.I send the money to "BHD" bank.Maybe the delay is here in the DR banking system.Once your account is on file at ZOOM,it's just a few "clicks" and the money is sent.
Cris Colon

Feb 7, 2007
@DerFish, it is a custom here, Caribe Express delivers most of the transfers by messenger, as well as ReD and others.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Better SAFE,than SORRY"!
CCCC
I too,opted out of the delivery service.
AND, the e-mail from ZOOM,goes to my 20 year old stepson,who then tells my mother-in-law,that the money is ready.I send it only to my mother-in-law! I don't want my wife to know there is money in the house!
Gotta love "Las Dominicanas"!
CCCCCCC

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
I've never heard of this service... wish I had known about it. How much does it cost? I've been paying $45 U.S. each for international electronic bank transfers.

Softail

Nov 15, 2011
I'm not sure what your specific money transfer needs are but you might consider PayPal. I have clients in 6 countries who use it to pay me.

Not sure about DR banks, but I have a bank account in the Philippines tied to my Phillipine PayPal account and can easily and quite inexpensively shift money between us and Phillipine bank account and can take possession of funds in USD or Philippine Pesos.

May 29, 2006
Does anyone know of a way of sending money using a cell phone? My automatic deposits have been accruing and I barely use the thing.

May 29, 2006
I don't get why people who want to send money on a regular basis simply don't set up a proxy bank account in their own name in the US (or elsewhere) and give the receiver in the DR an ATM card.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
I was using transfers to pay for purchases in the D.R. from home in the U.S. (condo purchase, furniture, etc. etc.) I currently use paypal to pay my management fees.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
I'm normally using Xoom right now, it takes overnight sometimes but the money get's there...

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"SOFT",get down here to the DR,and make your comments about "Things" here relevent!
This is "DR!",not "PI1"!
We have a lot of "Dominican Republic Wannabies" on "DR!",but at LEAST,they have actually set foot on our soil!:p:p:rolleyes:
A "PayPal" in the DR,is a "Friend With Benefits",who you pay,for those "Benefits"!
A Dominican with a "ATM" card???
Now,THERE is a receipt for DISASTER!
CC

Softail

Nov 15, 2011
"SOFT",get down here to the DR,and make your comments about "Things" here relevent!
This is "DR!",not "PI1"!
We have a lot of "Dominican Republic Wannabies" on "DR!",but at LEAST,they have actually set foot on our soil!:p:p:rolleyes:
A "PayPal" in the DR,is a "Friend With Benefits",who you pay,for those "Benefits"!
A Dominican with a "ATM" card???
Now,THERE is a receipt for DISASTER!
CC

OK. No need to be so vulgar!!!!!

Infraction given.

Keep it up and your are history forever!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
I don't get why people who want to send money on a regular basis simply don't set up a proxy bank account in their own name in the US (or elsewhere) and give the receiver in the DR an ATM card.

Reason I don't do it...The person would be getting pesos instead of USD and getting screwed on the exchange rate, so it ends up costing more. In addition the person would have to go to the bank and play the ATM roulette. Next thing you know someone swiped your money out that account and you have no recourse. Home delivery in USD is the way to go. I do agree with risk involved, but honestly I think is less risky than the person going to Caribe Express and getting the money (in front of everyone BTW) and then having to walk home with that money.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006

I did that with Bank of America, it worked great until they started charging 8 bucks a month for the privilege of using their checking account with MY money..

Feb 7, 2007
Not sure about DR banks, but I have a bank account in the Philippines tied to my Phillipine PayPal account and can easily and quite inexpensively shift money between us and Phillipine bank account and can take possession of funds in USD or Philippine Pesos.

Paypal in the DR can be only cashed out to the U.S. bank account, or via U.S. mail check. Because we do not get mail in the DR (and even in lucky situations it may take 2-3 months to arrive), the only real use of PayPal with DR address is to MAKE payments. Some Asian countries have credit-card Paypal payouts deposited on VISA card. Not so here. Also, to receive payments even on personal Paypal D.R.-based-accounts you are hit with 5.4% charge. For those who HAVE option to make Paypal payout to a U.S. bank account it's much easier to set up a U.S.-based Paypal, with 2.5% fee instead of 5.4% fee.

Miguel Vasquez

Jun 1, 2012

Not good....you get charged a fee by the us bank everytime you make a transaction...which is higher than sending yourself the money.....lets say that you use 150usd on a restaurant you get charged with 5 dollars...and if you withdraw the same amount is more than that....i think 1-2% of the amount plus 5 dollars flat