Claro "Stick"

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Last year I bought a Claro USB 'stick' for internet access. In Santo Domingo it worked fine, even used my MagicJack most of the time. At our house at a beach west of SD, forget it. Couldn't access Comcast e-mail, it constantly disconnected, trying MagicJack was comical.

Went back to Claro to reactivate my stick. They told me it was 'obsolete' and sold me a new one. Wow, what a difference at our house. They must have added service. 3G connection almost all the time, especially if I'm out on the terrazzo. Inside the house, usually 2 bars, outside I get 4. MagicJack calls sound like the person is in the next room. Pages loading quickly.

AlterEgo is a happy camper.

Now if they could just do something about these ridiculously long blackouts.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I got the Claro usb stick about three weeks ago and so far it works just great. I opted for the 5GB/60 day prepaid plan. Do you know whether or not you can recharge your account online or do you have to go to a Claro store?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Thats the one I had. I went to the 18 month plan w/ unlimited everything.
I have an antenna and a WiFi modem..

Works great as long as CLARO provides enuff bndwidth - or whatever

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Thats the one I had. I went to the 18 month plan w/ unlimited everything.
I have an antenna and a WiFi modem..

Works great as long as CLARO provides enuff bndwidth - or whatever

If I may, what is the price for an 18 month unlimited everything plan?

B in Santiago

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
If I may, what is the price for an 18 month unlimited everything plan?

B in Santiago

If I recall, something like 1800DRP a monthbut you can juggle/jiggle the numbersby wrapping in your TV, house phone, cell.
Like all other carriers, CLARO is into 'bundling'

There is a promotion going on now if you go to the CLARO store

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Excellent, thank you

Currently have cell, internet, house phone and tv service with them...and no bundle, Am I dumb or what...

B in LoonyTune Ville

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I got the Claro usb stick about three weeks ago and so far it works just great. I opted for the 5GB/60 day prepaid plan. Do you know whether or not you can recharge your account online or do you have to go to a Claro store?

That's the same plan we got. Last year I had "unlimited" access, but of course, I rarely had good access, so it's all relative. We did everything right in La Sirena [San Cristobal] at the Claro kiosk.

So, does anyone know how long 5GB should last? I don't have a clue.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
It won't last long if you are downloading Videos or Movies. I have used more than 5 G in one day many times.

Get a landline based Internet from Claro called I believe DSL Flash. There is no limit on this plan.

HumbleHindu

Jan 14, 2010
You can use the old stick. You can download the latest configuration and install it. I had the same problem and took it to them. They told me the same story and I had to buy a new one or change the windows OS in my computer ( it was brand new then). Also they insisted that I should sign a new contract for 18 months. I told them that if I had to sign another contract, I do not want the service and went to a computer guy. He easily configured the latest software and the same stick worked fine. They just want to push their products.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Excellent, thank you

Currently have cell, internet, house phone and tv service with them...and no bundle, Am I dumb or what...

B in LoonyTune Ville

To Daffy Duck..... This is WiFi I'm talking about for the internet.

You'll get it figured out. Not sure how good it is for streaming. We're downloading our NOOK and its taking time.
But we're in the campo, not city slickers like some others. Everything is slow here - no Flash for me !!

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
My daughter in Phoenix told me she has a stick for her laptop and she is supposed to get internet pretty much wherever she takes the laptop. This is what I thought you were referring to.

B still in Looney Tune Ville

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
She will, from what I understand. Cell signals ae ubiquitous in the US and usually strong.
Not so here.

The wifi beats the stick all day long... especially w/ the antenna.

But the hardwire is always better = DSL Flash if you can get it

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
That's the same plan we got. Last year I had "unlimited" access, but of course, I rarely had good access, so it's all relative. We did everything right in La Sirena [San Cristobal] at the Claro kiosk.

So, does anyone know how long 5GB should last? I don't have a clue.
On the Claro opening menu there is a drop down window you can click "statistics". This will tell you how much you have down/uploaded this month and year to date. I got my Claro stick from the kiosk at Ole Supermercado right by SDQ airport.

Don't forget with the stick and using Win7 you can set up your personal Wi-Fi zone.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
On the Claro opening menu there is a drop down window you can click "statistics". This will tell you how much you have down/uploaded this month and year to date. I got my Claro stick from the kiosk at Ole Supermercado right by SDQ airport.

Don't forget with the stick and using Win7 you can set up your personal Wi-Fi zone.

I don't get that 'statistics' option. Looked through everything and can't see where it tells me what I've used. Could it be because I'm on a Mac?

Ditto the personal wi-fi... Mac-able??

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
You can personal wi-fi on a Mac. You disable Airport, fire up the Banda Anche, tell Airport to 'share' your internet connection and presto. Works. I use the separate Banda Ancha hotspot from Claro instead of the sticks. I used the sticks for awhile but they kept getting in the way, they work pretty good tho.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I don't get that 'statistics' option. Looked through everything and can't see where it tells me what I've used. Could it be because I'm on a Mac?............

When starting Claro Movil do you get this........

23wlhjm.jpg

If so, try clicking "Tools",,,,,"Statistics"........... to get to this

14xnmvo.jpg