going thru santiago to go at barahona?, it's possible?

drroyal2000

Aug 22, 2004
Need help. Going to Barahona, I live in cabrera, really don't want to go thru the capital (heard it crazy, maybe the express way is a way to go?)), is it possible to go thru sabanete (where ever that entrance is) and go to santiago and from there go to barahona? :)

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Yes you could go that way over the mountain road, but it is out of your way to go back. If you do go that way you turn off before the busy part of JFK and avoid the main part of town. I can't give you good directions as I just know where to turn but really don't know the street or a good landmark. Maybe someone else can help you on this.

But I think it would be a better trip to take the new hwy and go through SD than to go back to Sabaneta from Cabrera.

The best way to go from Cabrera would be to Drive to Nagua, go thru San Francisco De Marcoris to the Auto pista near Bonao continue into the capital, as you approach the first overpass bear right this is 27 febuary extension, take this road till you see sign for San Cristobal,Bani and Azua and make that turn and your on the autopista toward Barahoana.

drroyal2000

Aug 22, 2004
thank you for that info, I will try to find a map and look at that direction

The best way to go from Cabrera would be to Drive to Nagua, go thru San Francisco De Marcoris to the Auto pista near Bonao continue into the capital, as you approach the first overpass bear right this is 27 febuary extension, take this road till you see sign for San Cristobal,Bani and Azua and make that turn and your on the autopista toward Barahoana.

thank you for the replies

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
A MUCH better route is to take the El Baden bypass (toward Medina) that connects in San Cristobal. Then jump on the south autopista there.

We rode back from Barahona to Jarabacoa that way today.

(And a mega cool suggestion: check out the Cuevas del Pomier in the Calcium Phosphate mines near San Cristobal, just past La Toma, and take a flashlight. Fantastic!)

arrugala

Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
HI ANY WAY YOU COULD explain that alittle more so a person might know the El baden bypass etc (not familiar with this area) and also the direction to the Cuevas calcium phosphate mines? thx

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
HI ANY WAY YOU COULD explain that alittle more so a person might know the El baden bypass etc (not familiar with this area) and also the direction to the Cuevas calcium phosphate mines? thx
As you go south on the autopista past Villa Altagracia and where the autopista divides (and you can't see the northbound lanes), it's a road to the right. It's fairly well marked. There are a couple of colmados there.

For the caves, When you pass La Toma a mile or so, you'll come to a large intersection to the right. That goes to the mines. Go up the hill a couple of miles and bear right at all the road branches. Way up the hill you'll see a small sign pointing to the caves to the right. You may have to ask the guard which road to take within the mines, kinda hard to explain.

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
From Cabrera, head West towards Cabarete but turn off at Sabaneta to go towards Moca. Go over the mountains to Moca (not Santiago), then La Vega, then Villa Altagracia, to outskirts of Santo Domingo and then head west towards Bani to Barahona.

There is a short jog you can take out of Piedra Blanca south over the hills that will eventually dump you onto Carratera Sanchez (the southern road, route 2) but I do not recommend it. Stay to the major roads so you have some opportunity for assistance if you get a flat tire or some other issue.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
A MUCH better route is to take the El Baden bypass (toward Medina) that connects in San Cristobal. Then jump on the south autopista there.

We rode back from Barahona to Jarabacoa that way today.

(And a mega cool suggestion: check out the Cuevas del Pomier in the Calcium Phosphate mines near San Cristobal, just past La Toma, and take a flashlight. Fantastic!)

Not only is this much shorter it is a very scenic ride too.