How can extended visits affect your future relations with the DR?

b0nkers

Feb 24, 2012
Hello again,

I'm curious how long a Canadian can stay in the DR, and the repercussions of extending the stay for 6 months or longer. there seems to be many opinions on this from searching Google. Legally it is 60 days? if you stay longer, is it just a matter of paying a fine on your way out?

Can staying longer and paying a fine affect one's ability to gain residency later, or start a business in the DR, or anything else?

I've been looking at housing options and would like to rent a place for 6-12 months. Is there any potential downside at all if someone stays longer than 60 days and pays the fine?

Also, on a side note I wonder is someone can help suggest areas to look. I want to end up on, or very close to a nice white beach with crystal clear waters. Preferably in a gated community or touristy kind of area just so I can party with people on vacation as well as enjoy the local culture. If it's close to some mountains to explore, that would be a great bonus too!

This is an example of the sort of place I'd be interested in renting, while trying to keep the rental portion of the budget around $1500/m. What kind of options are there?

2176 Real Estate in Dominican Republic

Thanks!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
It is good to be specific, but your requirement may be too specific:

Hello again,

I'm curious how long a Canadian can stay in the DR, and the repercussions of extending the stay for 6 months or longer. there seems to be many opinions on this from searching Google. Legally it is 60 days?

http://www.dr1.com/forums/legal/120638-renewal-tourist-card-4.html#post1050086

if you stay longer, is it just a matter of paying a fine on your way out?

Normally the answer is yes.

Can staying longer and paying a fine affect one's ability to gain residency later, or start a business in the DR, or anything else?

I don't think there will be any effect on residency or starting a business.

I've been looking at housing options and would like to rent a place for 6-12 months. Is there any potential downside at all if someone stays longer than 60 days and pays the fine?

Also, on a side note I wonder is someone can help suggest areas to look. I want to end up on, or very close to a nice white beach with crystal clear waters. Preferably in a gated community or touristy kind of area just so I can party with people on vacation as well as enjoy the local culture. If it's close to some mountains to explore, that would be a great bonus too!

Those are some very tight restrictions that you might want to relax a bit. Sosua and Cabarete are out since the beaches are not white. Las Terrenas may be out if there are not sufficient gated communities and if you don't speak French.

This is an example of the sort of place I'd be interested in renting, while trying to keep the rental portion of the budget around $1500/m. What kind of options are there?

Reconsider your requirements and more people will be able to help, but right now maybe somwhere in the Punta Cana area, of which I am not very familiar.

This is nowhere near a beach and/or a tourist area. It is in Santiago.

Thanks!

b0nkers

Feb 24, 2012
Punta Cana is actually where Google searches seem to have taken me. Seems like it has it all, but not sure about the wildlife side of things. there is a nature reserve there, which is GREAT, but i think more of a bird watching kind of experience on paths etc.

The rental I linked to is just an example of the style, or quality of place, I'm looking for. Doesn't need to be a penthouse. Could be anything really... condo...apartment..house, doesn't matter. Just looking for that quality on or close to the beach. it's just an example of something that "wow's" me at the kind of prices I'm used to paying for something very average where I live.

As for the beach/water thing, I'd be happy to take wonderful snorkeling/scuba over white beaches. I'd like to be on/close to a big beautiful touristy beach though.

Trying to find the best of the best within my dream place to settle down for awhile. I understand some trade-offs will likely be required. It's harder to find find everything one wants when doing so on a small budget.

Thanks for the renewal link, I really want to do everything on the up and up and pay the fees etc.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
There is absolutely no problem with staying 'too long' as the DR doesn't record such events. They fine you (very inexpensive) and send you on your way. It has no effect on residency potential or status.

Unless you are implicated in a car crash and someone is killed, then you are an illegal tied up in all sorts of trouble in a country you legally should not even be in. Or are in an accident and the hospitals have no idea who you could be, coz you have no records of where you 'should' be staying.A few months in prison while all is ironed out and you'll be good to go. Oh, and that also applies for driving, ,, you can't!

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
Hello again,

I'm curious how long a Canadian can stay in the DR, and the repercussions of extending the stay for 6 months or longer. there seems to be many opinions on this from searching Google. Legally it is 60 days? if you stay longer, is it just a matter of paying a fine on your way out?

Thanks!

Punta Cana is actually where Google searches seem to have taken me. Seems like it has it all, but not sure about the wildlife side of things. there is a nature reserve there, which is GREAT, but i think more of a bird watching kind of experience on paths etc.

The rental I linked to is just an example of the style, or quality of place, I'm looking for. Doesn't need to be a penthouse. Could be anything really... condo...apartment..house, doesn't matter. Just looking for that quality on or close to the beach. it's just an example of something that "wow's" me at the kind of prices I'm used to paying for something very average where I live.

As for the beach/water thing, I'd be happy to take wonderful snorkeling/scuba over white beaches. I'd like to be on/close to a big beautiful touristy beach though.

Trying to find the best of the best within my dream place to settle down for awhile. I understand some trade-offs will likely be required. It's harder to find find everything one wants when doing so on a small budget.

Thanks for the renewal link, I really want to do everything on the up and up and pay the fees etc.

You can't drive legally on your foreign driver's license after 90 consecutive days in the country. It's been suggested that driving to Haiti to get your passport stamped as re-entering the country will resolve this issue, but I haven't seen this technique confirmed in the legal forum by Mr. Guzman.

I have only been as far east as Higuey and La Romana, but based on the fact that the further east I went the flatter it got I'd guess that Punta Cana is not a mountainous area. The north coast is probably the best mix of touristy beaches within sight of mountains. The southwest has beaches near mountains, but I don't think it has as many tourists.

You can get a nice apartment for $1500/month practically anywhere in the country.

b0nkers

Feb 24, 2012
It is absolutely part of the original question when considering repercussions. Thank you very much for brining that up! It's things like this that are essential when considering how to go about extended travel.

I don't want to do anything illegally. This is helping me get clarification of all the different opinions etc that I've been reading in random searches. i was actually under the impression that extended stay was legal! .. but you would just pay a fee for staying longer than the included 60 day 'free' tourist limit.

What 'could' or 'usually' would happen when a person over stays is one thing... but it would also leave the doors wide open for serious legal repercussions of staying illegally in a country. Now I know I need to contact the consulate or something along those lines for complete legal clarification. It's nice to know they are lax on these issues, but it doesn't mean I couldn't get into trouble for staying longer than 60 days in other ways.. It is extremely important in my line of work to do everything legally in life

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
If you want gated communities, beaches, mountains and expat and tourist life, then I think I would have to suggest the North Coast. Maybe something like a villa or condo in Perla Marina in Sosua. It has it's own beach although it comes and goes with the seasons and I'm not sure of the state of it at the moment. Hideaway beach halfway between Sosua and Cabarete is a nice little community near a popular surfer's beach. Ocean Dream or Ocean One in Cabarete offer high end condos on Cabarete beach and there are a few more projects under construction in Cabarete. All of which I have mentioned should fit your budget of $1500 per month.

There is also Seahorse ranch in Sosua, but that's really for the high rollers and might exceed your budget. There are some seriously rich people that live in palaces there! They have their own army patrolling the place and crime is unheard of there!

Can't say much about the Punta Cana / Bavaro area. I've been there a few times and I can't say I'm a huge fan. Although there is a lot of development in that area, to me it's missing a soul. I wouldn't want to live there as an expat. A two week vacation would be fine, but I couldn't live there.

Alas wildlife is very much lacking on the island of Hispaniola. Although i once saw an iguana in the road outside my house.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I have lived here permanately for more than 16 years,including ten working for the government,as a "So Called" illegal alien.I have no "papers".I bought a house,and several vehicles,I have bank accounts,and credis cards here.
I,"Over Stay" my Tourist Visa" at least once a year,and for as long as 18 months.
If you don't want to do "Anything Illegal",maybe the DR is not for you!
If you play by the "Rules" here(No One Does) you will be paralized.You will be "taken advantage of,and you will be taken for a "Stupid Gringo"!
Personally,I don't think you have the "personality/street smarts, to survive here.
Anyone as concerned about "problems" for over staying a "tourist visa",is probably afraid of being killed by falling "Space Junk"!
Cris Colon
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
If you want to be legal, then applying for residency is the path to take. If you want to see lots of animals in the jungle, that is not going to happen here.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
If you want to see lots of animals in the jungle, that is not going to happen here.

But we have a lot of what are called "tigres" here (tigers in English). You will need to be able to recognize them and not be scammed or cheated.

jaiallen

Jul 9, 2010
As far as driving after your 90 day stay, usually a hundred pesos or so will solve that problem IF you're stopped at a roadblock. It's not as if it happens all of the time. Unless there's an accident, all the police are looking for is a way to pad their meager income. With regards to long term stays in the D.R. , I have stayed up to a year, and the most I have ever paid in exit fines was 3500 pesos. As far as the 1500 a month rent, that's a bit steep. I guess it depends where you want to stay, but I have lived in Santiago, Cabarete and Santo Domingo, in decent areas, and never went above $750.00 a month. and that is on the high side.

To each his own, but do your research well.

jaiallen

Jul 9, 2010
Ooops. Hit both the like and the dislike button by mistake. I meant to like your post. Well said.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Oh No"!
You spoiled my "Perfect" record!
Don't worry,it happens all the time.
If you hit like,then look for it to "show up",then hit like again,it has become the dis like button.Just wait a while longer when you hit "Like",it will show up.
C

jaiallen

Jul 9, 2010
Nothing in the D.R. is " legal " by the way. The entire country is run on graft, corruption, and skirting the few rules that exits.

"When in Rome " should apply when living here, just keep in mind that you aren't Dominican and can't quite get away with everything that the average Dominican does without consequen$es. Other than that, there are no rules. Just don't stand out , trust few including a lot of expats, and the passport thing ? ONLY a fool would carry their passport with them all of the time. Those things fetch anywhere from a few thousand to tens of thousands on the black market. With that being said, the Nacional Policia, AMET or anyone else has NO idea how long you've been in the country unless you tell them.

" It's back at my hotel room " ( with the requisite bribe ) is usually good enough unless you committed a crime. And if you have, even your passport wont save you.

HumbleHindu

Jan 14, 2010
I have lived here permanately for more than 16 years,including ten working for the government,as a "So Called" illegal alien.I have no "papers".I bought a house,and several vehicles,I have bank accounts,and credis cards here.
I,"Over Stay" my Tourist Visa" at least once a year,and for as long as 18 months.
If you don't want to do "Anything Illegal",maybe the DR is not for you!
If you play by the "Rules" here(No One Does) you will be paralized.You will be "taken advantage of,and you will be taken for a "Stupid Gringo"!
Personally,I don't think you have the "personality/street smarts, to survive here.
Anyone as concerned about "problems" for over staying a "tourist visa",is probably afraid of being killed by falling "Space Junk"!
Cris Colon
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

This is very much true. I have a friend who lives in this country for more than 20 years. No residency or anything. He have business registered in his name, properties, bank accounts. He receives through his bank account a lot of money every week from abroad. He was dragged to court lot of times in labour dispute. So Residency is not necessary for doing business or living here.

But I have the residency only for the reason to take visas. My passport requires visa to visit any country and without being legal resident I cannot apply for visas. Also i need visa to enter DR and it is hell going through that process everytime.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
What will you lose from Canada if you are here longer than 6 months?

Your Canadian health insurance?