Leaving a Passport for a Rental Car

rhett

Feb 27, 2012
We are traveling on a tight budget and without a credit card. Hot Deals Rent a Car in Santiago will rent us a car but will not take a cash deposit and wants us to leave a passport as a deposit. Knowing that leaving your passport is never the best idea - Does anyone have input on this? We are staying in Puerto Plata and want to move around quite a bit so a rental car seemed like the best option Thanks!.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Never ever leave your passport anywhere with anyone. I am surprised they will loan a car without a Credit Card if they are a legit company, which leads me to one conclusion. You will return the car and they will not return the passport until every thing on the car before hand of after is paid for by you. Without your credit card you have no protection at all. If they have your passport then they have you by the short and curlies, which means get the things fixed or miss your flight back!
IMO

And beside that, you can then be cloned and land in alsorts of trouble.
\mske s photo copy of your passport to carry around with you.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Normally these are a " friend of a friend " type of rentals. NO do not leave your passport as this is not standard legit biz with rental cars here.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
dont do it!!! but just in case...make copies of your passport and give them that. I'd pay the extra pesos and go legit for the peace of mind

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
My friend was renting a car in Cabarete from one of those 'off the curb' renters and was asked for his passport as security.

He declined and still got the car for the day.

Feb 7, 2007
...I even hate giving copies, whenever I have to hand out copy (e.g. bank) I scribble across..."for xyz purposes only"... you never know what smart minds in the DR can "invent"... no institution has "data privacy and protection" policies, so you are on your own with leaving copies of your card and ID with people...

arrugala

Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
I USE A LAMINATED PASSPORT FOR EVERYTHING HOWEVER i have not used it to rent a car .Without a credit card i think you can in Cabarete i will check

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
DO NOT LEAVE YOUR PASSPORT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, unless you want to show up in Puerto Rico or Mexico as an undocumented alien.

LTS

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
A US passport is like gold to forgers. I have been told it can be worth as much as US$10,000 to the right people.

Never, ever give your passport to ANYONE for any reason.

Additionally if it's lost it's hell to get another one and you cannot leave the country until you do.

Dandman

May 17, 2004
I would question why anyone would travel without a credit card. I have one or two that I take with me but do not use. They are for emergency uses or for car rental only. If your finances are so poor that you cannot get a credit card then perhaps you need to remain in your home country.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
I would question why anyone would travel without a credit card. I have one or two that I take with me but do not use. They are for emergency uses or for car rental only. If your finances are so poor that you cannot get a credit card then perhaps you need to remain in your home country.

The recession has been a killer for many. Everyone is entitled to a little R&R no matter how they want to pay for it!!!!

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
Much more prudent to pay cash than to charge a vacation and pay it off at 20+%. Some do not have the will power if the card is in their pocket. I know one person who has his credit cards frozen in a block of ice in his freezer. He knows he has hours to reconsider their use before they defrost.

rhett

Feb 27, 2012
I don't think that was my question but thanks for your unhelpful advise.....I would have to question that since your finances are so secure and life is great. What are you doing wasting your time writing responses?

rhett

Feb 27, 2012
Thanks!

WOW thanks for all the responses! That was kinda what I figured after a lot of traveling I have never been asked for my passport as a deposit. So 2 other questions then. The company that asked me for a passport as a deposit said that they would not take a cash deposit and that no car rental in the DR does. First has anyone rented from Hot Deals Rent a Car in Santiago? or does anyone know of a rental company that will accept a cash deposit?