Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Feeding your dogs chicken (bones)

I have been feeding my Dominican dogs (street mutts) chicken bones for 10 years, without a problem. I do keep them away from my Rottweilers.

My mother (who does not live here in the DR) warned me again, that this is very dangerous for the dogs, that the bones can puncture the stomach etc.

Does anybody have any factual experiences, where their dog had serious medical issues from eating chicken bones?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Years ago we had our little mutt get a chicken bone stuck in her throat. The Vet had to do immediate surgery as it had lodged very deeply into her throat and was too far down to pull out by hand. She was also a small dog. Never again with any bones. We have had two Goldens as well and one of them had issues with bones in his stomach. We don't even give steak or beef bones now. Nada to the bones!

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

This is a fact that you shouldn't feed dogs you care about bones, ask any vet. I had a dog which we fed bones for years. When he was 10 years old he developed a hernia. I had to take him to the vet when he was backed up for days and couldn't "go". Cost me $1400US to get an operation. He gave us 3 more years of joy.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I feed my dogs once in a while chicken bones or a whole chicken but raw. Cooked chicken bones are pretty fragile and can splinter so I do give some of those at a few of my dogs from which I know they handle them and certainly not to young dogs. Raw no problem for any dog, cooked only the experienced ones.

Acira

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

@ Acira - why would cooked bones be more dangerous? Aren't they more "tender" as opposed to the raw bones?

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Acira View Post
    I feed my dogs once in a while chicken bones or a whole chicken but raw. Cooked chicken bones are pretty fragile and can splinter so I do give some of those at a few of my dogs from which I know they handle them and certainly not to young dogs. Raw no problem for any dog, cooked only the experienced ones.

Acira
    I guess salmonella is not a concern for canine amigos?

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I make a distinction between my street mutts and the Rottweilers, as it is my belief (not based on anything scientific) that Dominican dogs have developed over time, maybe even genetically, to be less susceptible to any damage from chicken bones. Thanks for any feedback on this theory.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rubio_higuey View Post
    @ Acira - why would cooked bones be more dangerous? Aren't they more "tender" as opposed to the raw bones?
    Try breaking a chicken bone raw and break one cooked and you will see the difference. The raw bone bitten through by a dog has no real sharp edges. A cooked bone is very fragile due to the cooking process and gives long sharp splinters.
    If you have a dog with an appetite to swallow everything, I wouldn't give them bones either, raw or cooked.

9. Likes puryear270 liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Conchman View Post
    I make a distinction between my street mutts and the Rottweilers, as it is my belief (not based on anything scientific) that Dominican dogs have developed over time, maybe even genetically, to be less susceptible to any damage from chicken bones. Thanks for any feedback on this theory.
    I highly doubt it. The reason why people usually make the comment that Dominican street dogs are more resilient to stomach ulcers or other affects from eating bones is probably cause no one cares for them so nobody cares or notices what they die of. Ive seen plenty of street dogs in DR with visible sign of damage such as hernias; its just that no one cares so no one knows.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I give my 6 dogs,ranging is size from "Tiny" to "Big" bones of all types,from cooked,to raw,to ground.they are all doing just fine.
    I believe,correct me if I am wrong,"GOD",but they have been eating bones since the "Stone Age",and before????
    Dogs digestive systems handle "Bones",as well as "Bacteria",very well!
    They are not,"Little People".
    Love them with all your heart,but they are still animals,NOT PEOPLE!
    We do animals a dis-service when we "Humanize" them.It's condecending!
    CC

12. Likes Bronxboy, frank12, nas, Africaida, siegs liked this post
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast