Living costs-single guy

niceguy

Aug 6, 2011
There have been a few posts of late that speak of living costs. I recollect that they are to do with costings on a 'family' basis
These are my basic costs in US dollars

rent; i own my home
water; i have tanks that hold rain water and i never need to buy
electricity; $120month
food (groceries); $150

car;
fuel;$100 month LPG ( i have a small car)
maintanance; ($500 p/yr) or $40 a month
tires; $600 a year (approximation) $50 a month
registration/miscellaneous $20 month

Pool
chlorine use only (small pool) $40 month
cleaner; me nada nada nada

property maintanance;
lawn mowed-me
roof cleaned ($100 a year) $10 a month

insurances; because of my concern for the lack of adequate cover (some DR policies cover you for $15k) i have elected to ake out travel insurance and pay $1500 a year or $120 a month
house insurance; $50

medicines/medical $100

cell; $20 month

internet; $100

cable; $20

total $950 a month

chicas/cookie/bj/wining dining
69ing etc etc $350

Yes the living expences is 1000us+ a month, like i always said. Of cource some will start to say they can live on 50us a month and others will say you cant live for less than 3000us.

It all depends on how taca?o you are. and how much Platano and fried Jamon you can stand.......

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
Yes the living expences is 1000us+ a month, like i always said. Of cource some will start to say they can live on 50us a month and others will say you cant live for less than 3000us.

It all depends on how taca?o you are. and how much Platano and fried Jamon you can stand.......

Yes..... excellent post! Now I think starting point is $400; without car; it is possible in many parts of the DR.
pi2

Rae Dennis

Feb 29, 2012
There have been a few posts of late that speak of living costs. I recollect that they are to do with costings on a 'family' basis

Thank you! I'm dreaming of moving over and this is the most useful information I've found as yet. Wanting to live somewhere quite remote and not speaking much Spanish I guess my husband and I are looking at "retiring" so need a feel for minimum income to make the dream happen. From this it could even be as little as the rent we could make in the UK on our home.

Another step closer to the dream!

Rae

Rep Dom

Bronze
Dec 27, 2011
Hi niceguy. Thanks for your estimation. I have a few question though:
. How do you make $100 for internet?
. and $50 for tires? Seems very much to me...
:)

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
expenses

rent; i own my home
water; i have tanks that hold rain water and i never need to buy
electricity; $120month
food (groceries); $150

car;
fuel;$100 month LPG ( i have a small car)
maintanance; ($500 p/yr) or $40 a month
tires; $600 a year (approximation) $50 a month
registration/miscellaneous $20 month

Pool
chlorine use only (small pool) $40 month
cleaner; me nada nada nada

property maintanance;
lawn mowed-me
roof cleaned ($100 a year) $10 a month

insurances; because of my concern for the lack of adequate cover (some DR policies cover you for $15k) i have elected to ake out travel insurance and pay $1500 a year or $120 a month
house insurance; $50

medicines/medical $100

cell; $20 month

internet; $100

cable; $20

total $950 a month

chicas/cookie/bj/wining dining
69ing etc etc $350

Hmmmm!!!!????

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I think that groceries at $150 is a pretty low estimate... honestly.

And I wonder about your medical costs? Travel insurance will not usually cover you for more than a couple of months. And regular international policies are going to be closer to $300 and up depending on your age.

And rainwater? You do not buy drinking water?

I think that the Board did reach a consensus that $1500 a month was a respectable and adequate budget for a single person.. who did NOT own a house ... And many posters support families on that amount.

Remember one very important thing those who read these numbers and start to drool in happiness over the calulator. 1000us+ is after you have been living here for a while and have bought most of the little gizmos you need.

When you come of the plane with 2 suitcases, be prepared to spend some money on booze and other of this island pleasures.... (and to be ripped off by your newfound motoco?o friend)

imfromda305

Dec 9, 2011
I've found 2 apartments in Santo Domingo..

* 15000 DOP a month, not furnished. 2 bed rooms, 1 living room, 1 bathroom, garden, 1 room next to the house (for the maid) in the Colonial Zone.

* $450 a month, furnished. 1 bed room, 1 living room, very secure, everything included like fast wi-fi, cable, hot water and bills.

I'll go for the $450 a month, I'll just break down what I've spent when I was in Santo Domingo..

- food; a meal is like 150 DOP, every day I bought 1 and sometimes 2 meals. I also bought my breakfast while heading where I had to go to.. 100 DOP a day. So that would be like 250 DOP x 30 = 7500 DOP and 150 DOP x 15 = 2250 DOP.

- groceries; everyday I eat fruit worth of 80 DOP, everyday I drink milk but I forget the price.. I think 50 DOP. So that would be like 80 DOP x 30 = 2400 DOP and 6 x 50 DOP = 300 DOP. To include snacks and drink, I think around 1000 DOP.

- transportation; taking the bus is only 25 DOP, I think on a daily base you'll have to get the bus at least 2 times. So that's like 2 x 25 DOP x 30 = 1500 DOP.

- mobile phone; I bought like 1000 DOP on credit for just 2 weeks, most of it was spent by my guide. He & his for ever going problems with his girl.. but when I'm back that wont happen again. But I think I'll still spend like 750 DOP on credit.

So we're looking at 7500 + 2250 + 2400 + 300 + 1000 + 1500 + 750 = 15700 DOP = like $400

This I consider the basics, this will happen every month.

I don't have insurance, I don't take medicines, I don't have a car, I bought everything I need to use already like clothes and hygiene products. (a lot of it is still in Santo Domingo and when I go back I bring more)

I can't comment on other costs like going out, wining & dining, I do go to the gym that is 500 DOP a month (1000 DOP subscribe).

So we're looking at $450 + $400 = $950 / $1000

There is no reason to pay more than 15000 DOP for an apartmant unfurnished, but I can't comment on the furnished apartments realy because the $450 was a lucky catch and the others are starting from $500.

Maybe I left somethings away, maybe I'm able to cut back without even knowing.. but looking at it I don't think more than $1200 will be spent on everything in order to feel good! Not talking about surviving, but just to live good!

* When I'm back I'm going to write everything down, because I went to Santo Domingo staying in a hotel.. so I don't know if my cost were realistic like when I go back to actualy live there in my own apartment. But still, $1000 to $1200 seems reasonable.

Last edited:

imfromda305

Dec 9, 2011
good work in finding those apartments in SD

that is often the hardest part

did you get them without a fiador?

Actually not! If you open a thread where people are looking for a place, everybody is saying.. just take look around yourself.

So if you feel like walking, you'll see a lot of apartments with those signs on it. I mean, it's A B C.

I can't edit my post but the $450 is also in the Colonial Zone. I did it without a fiador.