Market for Used Furniture?

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I'm pulling the trigger and having all my furniture shipped down, and there is no way it'll all fit in our house. Some will have to go. And what will go is of a high quality (Oriental rugs, antique metal patio furniture, Eqyptian cotton sofa/loveseat, custom marble coffee tables, teak bar chairs and more.)

Once in a while you see a firesale of expat possessions. This would not be a firesale, but an "over-inventory" sale.

Is there a market for this here? And besides an ad on DR1, where would one access it?

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
Why wouldn't you sell it before you come down? Avoid shipping and the hassle.
We craiglisted our stuff before coming down. If yours is of value consider
an estate sale.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I know of someone who will be looking to furnish their house in the next few months. Historically speaking it seems that household goods at decent prices go pretty fast here on DR1.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Why wouldn't you sell it before you come down? Avoid shipping and the hassle.
We craiglisted our stuff before coming down. If yours is of value consider
an estate sale.
Because it's already in a container in humidity-controlled storage. I'm here and it's there. Colossal hassle to go back and do it.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
A classy add that your Spanish speaking acquaintance can do, in the Clasificados of the Listin Diario and La Informacion. A bigger than normal ad of course. Address it to Architects and Interior Decorators, as well as home owners.

HB

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
I don't know if it would do you any good... but someone was asking about buying used furniture in Punta Cana not too long ago. It's kinda far away though. We've been looking for some items in the new furniture stores, but we're searching for things that are kinda specific, like a small side-board table/chest thing, and night stands that would go with our existing bed. But again... transporting that distance is a pain in the youknowwhat.