Need suggestions on where to go other than Santo Domingo

shawn27

May 24, 2010
I'll be in Santo Domingo next week for my 8th visit but wanted to do something other than the Santo Domingo/ Boca Chica trip. I was thinking Cabarete or Sosua. I see that Caribe Tours offers hourly transportation, which town is better, Cabarete or Sosua? I know know, I've read the posts but most say that both towns are in decline... I'm looking to stay in an AI resort. Any suggestions are welcomed and appreciated.

Thanks.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Sosua is on the way up and is much improved of late. If you stay in one the other is only 15 minutes away. Sosua is a tree lined beach while Cabarete has kite surfing and board surfing. Cabarete has waves while Sosua beach in in a bay and the water is calmer. Sosua is a small city with winding streets and trees. Cabarete is a dusty tree less strip of about six blocks in length. I like Sosua but go to Cabarete for the surf. The largest AI in Sosua is Casa Marina and its pretty good if you like AIs. I much rather stay in hotel and eat in restaurants, see the place and mix with locals and other people. Good luck.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
if you like peace, quiet and clean you may consider punta cana. if you like beautiful and serene you may like samana (whale season is still on, i think, well worth seeing). i live on the north coast and i do do really think there is much to it. but it will do if you like girls and drinks :)

tamana

Mar 1, 2012
Sosua is a tree lined beach while Cabarete has kite surfing and board surfing. Cabarete has waves while Sosua beach in in a bay and the water is calmer.
g.php

shawn27

May 24, 2010
Thanks, I think I'll stay in Sosua as it appears to be bigger. Thanks everyone!