"Llego Papa" surge? Concerned?

sean

Mar 29, 2011
Just heard that another party -- that of Hateuy -- was joining with Hipolito <Papa>'s PRD party and this is likely to give a nudge in his favor in this tight election. I know that there is a meeting with a representative of the PRD this Saturday at 2:30 at The Meeting Place in Puerto Plata. Too bad, but I am out of the country then but hope some in the English community will be there to pass along my concerns. Last time the PRD was in power the peso tanked. Ask him what economic guarantees the party gives? Also what about those high visa fees and bureaucracy we seasonal residents have? I think it is important that the party -- who after May could be in power -- hear our concerns. We may not vote but we do have economic interests here. Let me know what happens at meet. Don't know the address but there is a website for Meeting Place in Puerto plata.

jackichan

Bronze
Jun 23, 2011
Just heard that another party -- that of Hateuy -- was joining with Hipolito
's PRD party and this is likely to give a nudge in his favor in this tight election. I know that there is a meeting with a representative of the PRD this Saturday at 2:30 at The Meeting Place in Puerto Plata. Too bad, but I am out of the country then but hope some in the English community will be there to pass along my concerns. Last time the PRD was in power the peso tanked. Ask him what economic guarantees the party gives? Also what about those high visa fees and bureaucracy we seasonal residents have? I think it is important that the party -- who after May could be in power -- hear our concerns. We may not vote but we do have economic interests here. Let me know what happens at meet. Don't know the address but there is a website for Meeting Place in Puerto plata.

Like whatever he says matters. He just a politician looking out for votes.

</papa>

bochinche

Bronze
Jun 19, 2003
Concerned? Of course not......looking forward to papa getting back in.

Hatuey did a silly thing by splitting from the PRD in the first place.
At least he is doing what is expected of him.

Stay tuned for another big sign up .......amable aristy is about to go with hipolito.......that means the whole of higuey is in the bag.

Economic guarantees????? Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!

Don't you worry my son.........they won't be in power in may......they'll be in power in august.....no shadow of a doubt.

Boch.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Stay tuned for another big sign up .......amable aristy is about to go with hipolito.......that means the whole of higuey is in the bag.
That would be something, but with rumours like this AA is probably just trying to air that possibility as a scare tactic, his real aim being to squeeze out more rewards from Leonel, or to punish him for finally getting him to leave the Liga.
He'll go with the best offer.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I can't think of another politician who epitomises all that's wrong with Dominican politics as much as AA
El dilema de Amable Aristy Castro - Acento
But you have to love the balls of a guy who drops cash out of a helicopter to buy votes.

At least it was a better promotion than...

[video=youtube;lf3mgmEdfwg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lf3mgmEdfwg&feature=related[/video]

(One of my ATF favorite TV show episodes...) "As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly..."

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
I don't see Hipo winning due to one thing...to win an election in The DR you MUST win Santo Domingo or at least win Santiago and most other provinces by a lot. Whereas his support may be high in some of the other provinces it's not quite like that in Santo Domingo and it's even in doubt whether he would win Santiago and other large provinces such as San Francisco, San Cristobal, etc...it's a number's game. He could win the whole southwest and still be trounced if he loses Santiago.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I travel around a lot. From what I can tell, the PRD is popular in the rural areas and the PLD is popular in the urban areas.

I don't see any real substantive difference except the PLD wears better suits...

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
I don't see Hipo winning due to one thing...to win an election in The DR you MUST win Santo Domingo or at least win Santiago and most other provinces by a lot. Whereas his support may be high in some of the other provinces it's not quite like that in Santo Domingo and it's even in doubt whether he would win Santiago and other large provinces such as San Francisco, San Cristobal, etc...it's a number's game. He could win the whole southwest and still be trounced if he loses Santiago.

He can win Santiago.

Randall Bell

Feb 17, 2012
Yah maybe I travel in different circles than everyone else, but having visited various events on the streets of Santo Domingo, it feels like the white party has the momentum (people genuinely on the street), and the purple party is the dinosaur spending to catch up (most of the people on the street are there because they have to be not because they want to be). You can only put so much lipstick on the pig as the expression goes. Please no Margarita jokes!

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
I think it's going to be close, but I honestly don't see Hippo pulling it off. Like I said it's a numbers' game. Maybe he can win Santiago (a big maybe as The PLD has swept Santiago in the last few general elections), but remember The DR is not like The US where it's only electoral votes that count. It's the total number of votes...so PRD can win 10 smaller provinces and still lose if PLD wins Santo Domingo by a good enough margin.

Right off the bat The PLD has probably close to two million votes with all the people who are currently on their payroll (government employees and their relatives, everyone who receives a Solidaridad card, Bonogas, etc). That alone gives them a huge advantage, as the PRD would have to have huge wins everywhere just to make up that difference...and there are places like La Romana and Higuey where The PRD has never won and probably never will no matter how bad The PLD has been (Unless Amable allies with them and gives them his votes).

bochinche

Bronze
Jun 19, 2003
Gallup poll was/is a set back for hipolito........for the election to go to a second round is looking more likely.

hipolito has now announced that amable aristy has done a deal with him.
although amable aristy could milk more out of pld, it is unlikely as that is where carlos morales troncoso is.....and they don't exactly get on at the moment.

now if only MVM would see some sense and it would be back in the bag for the whites.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Gallup poll was/is a set back for hipolito........for the election to go to a second round is looking more likely.

hipolito has now announced that amable aristy has done a deal with him.
although amable aristy could milk more out of pld, it is unlikely as that is where carlos morales troncoso is.....and they don't exactly get on at the moment.

now if only MVM would see some sense and it would be back in the bag for the whites.

You seem to be a cheerleader for hippo and group . What's your vested interest?

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
One of my buddies have posted a picture of the Gallope
document where i could see Hipo positioned way far from
Danilo in firts position. Not second round will be necesary.

He' pa fuera que van!

JJ

NV_

Bronze
Aug 4, 2003
Lets go Hippo! Lets go Hippo! Times are tough and the peso at 70 would really help stretch my dollars out... :p

Peterj

Bronze
Oct 7, 2002
Dominican Republic
Lets go Hippo! Lets go Hippo! Times are tough and the peso at 70 would really help stretch my dollars out... :p

Yes, that would be great if you have Dollars and you don't eat, drink, buy or consume anything here....
Imagine 1 gallon of gasoline for RD$ 500!

Imho Hippo is a disaster for the country and let's hope, if he wins, he doesn't try to implement the daylight saving time again.......:laugh: