He Can Walk - It's A Miracale ! - No It's A Scam !

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
There are 2 gentlemen who sit in wheel chairs in front of the drug store in Sosua next to the little playero.

For the first time in 5 years I saw one of them ( not the guy with the amputated foot ) walk accross the street to PJ's with a little help from a cane so he does not belong in a wheel chair and although infrequent there will be no more donations from me.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
is this is the guy sitting on the paveway, or the guy sitting on the way to the door of the drug store?

rice&beans

Silver
May 16, 2010
There are 2 gentlemen who sit in wheel chairs in front of the drug store in Sosua next to the little playero.

For the first time in 5 years I saw one of them ( not the guy with the amputated foot ) walk accross the street to PJ's with a little help from a cane so he does not belong in a wheel chair and although infrequent there will be no more donations from me.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1R2YKeWXf_0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It's a miracle!!!!!!!!!!!!

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003

You might be right, but don't assume that everyone in a wheelchair is totally unable to walk. I need to use one in airports because of the distances involved (and the damage to my leg resulting from an auto accident) but I am able to walk short distances.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
is this is the guy sitting on the paveway, or the guy sitting on the way to the door of the drug store?

There is 2 of them and they sit next to each other .

This guy asks for money but the guy with the amputed foot never asks.

If you beg for money from a wheel chair then you better not be seen walking.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002

With all due respect, Mike, you are not painting an accurate picture.

I give money only to the one with the bad leg and foot because he has a great smile and is very friendly. The one Mike is referring to is a sour puss if there ever was one and all he ever does is rattle his cup. I give nothing to him.

But yes he can walk with a cane, sort of. He does not walk erect like those reading this post but bent over. I am told he was in a bad accident at one time and left in this condition. He is not tied to the wheel chair, but he obviously has problems that prevent him from walking anywhere near normally.

For that matter, the other fellow isn't tied to his chair either. When I first saw him more than 10 years ago, he did not have that wheel chair. He used to make his way around Sosua on his hands, knees and the toe of his good foot. Look at his shoulders and shake hands with him. It is immediately apparent he has great upper body strength. I am sure this is the result of all those years when he had to get around as best he could with his arms, knees, and the toes of one foot.

Even then he was always smiling.

I believe the people in the farmacia he sits in front of had something to do with his getting that wheel chair.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
If some old dude is in a wheelchair whether he can walk good or not if I've got change I'll give him 5 or 10 pesos. No biggie.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
I like the guy with the bad foot on the way to the door to the drugstore. Whether you give him something or not, he will always have a big smile for you. I normally give him whatever change I have in my pockets, and he always says he will watch my car or moto. I have always wondered what he would do if anybody actually tries to steal it.... lol.

Sorry, that is mean... but anyways this guy deserves the couple of pesos.

Same as the guy who normally sits in front of the parking lot of BP. Even if you just drive by, he will raise his hand, and treat you to a big smile.

Rumble2005

Mar 18, 2006

I gave money to both today. I did see the fellow you are speaking of walk into the store where he begs but he is in bad shape and he does certainly require that wheel chair.
The sadder case by far is the poor child with cerebal palsey and god only knows what else that is being sat in front of the store. He is not even capable of accepting the money. Not sure how long he has been getting parked there as I just arrived back in town today.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Always reminds me of a guy on some kind of rolling cart in Paris, France. He appeared to have no legs, but I saw him rolling his cart around the corner, get up on 2 legs, pick up his cart, and get into his mercedes...

May 29, 2006
Saying that anyone in a wheelchair who can walk 100ft once a day isn't disabled is jumping to conclusions. My 75 year-old mom broke her hip last summer and can now finally hobble her way to the mail box and back with just her cane. This does not mean she has to turn in her handicap parking sticker any time soon.

Yes there are scammers in the chairs. If in doubt, ask one of the locals, as in Dominican locals. They know who is faking and who is in actual need. I've heard in some spots there are people who go out into the campo to find someone disabled and transport them into town for the day for a cut of their takings. I've also heard a common scam is to fake a birth defect by wearing over-sized shoes and then twist the foot within to make it look distorted.

I don't know if she's still around, but there was this older woman who would haul around a young girl with her in cheap clothes and look pathetic for the tourists in numerous towns. The rumor was she live in a three story house with a pool in Puerto Plata. It is a good idea to check out who you give your money to. When some kid came up to me with an infected leg, I didn't give him money. I took him to the farmacia and bought the drugs for him with his prescription.

Aug 21, 2007
There are mission groups that take care of the two men at the farmacia and the boy in the wheelchair when their needs are greatest. The money you put into their cups certainly helps them to live day by day. And, oh but for the grace of God go I. But do know, at times when they are in a medical or hunger crisis, all three visit and reach out to the missions who will help them for free.

Lindsey

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
You might be right, but don't assume that everyone in a wheelchair is totally unable to walk. I need to use one in airports because of the distances involved (and the damage to my leg resulting from an auto accident) but I am able to walk short distances.

If I run into you in an airport I'll give you a buck. ;):cheeky:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Anyone know where I can get a good used "Wheel Chair" for short money?
EXTRA WIDE seat!
I think I now have an idea about "employment opportunities" for a disabled "Gringo"!
CCCC

CC i have an old worn out 3seats sofa and some old wooden wheels from an antique wagon. Maybe we can work something out? I supply you with the "tools of the trade", and you give me a small % every day.. Lets say 35%

"Only for you my fleind" :smoke: