Language

imlosttoo

Apr 27, 2009
So after reading quite few posts, is it safe to say that the population doesn't speak english with any fluency at all? I ask because I am thinking of a trip down there and I speak no spanish but I wanted to stay away from the touristy areas if possible. But, I suppose if I come down, the tourist areas are the only places where I stand a chance of having someone understand me. I am interested in any insight as to where I could go.

Thanks

C

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Why would you expect anyone in a Spanish country that are in a non-tourist area to speak English. How about making a little effort and at least learn a little Spanish. Dominican do take English in school and often understand more than they speak. As long as you can smile and know how to play charades, you'll get by. Take a good Spanish/English book like INSTANT SPANISH Follett vest-pocket Conversation guide.
What are you interested in seeing/doing, Are you young, old, male, female, going alone...etc? This will make a difference on suggestions.

imlosttoo

Apr 27, 2009
Doing

What are you interested in doing?

I'm a male, single, 40s just planning on renting a place and doing nothing in particular for about a month as I need some down time. I may wander around and see a few sites as the island looks interesting. Best case would be wandering around with a female I meet down there but we'll see. I thought I would perhaps start out in a place where I wasn't at a language disadvantage. I've been in a number of places where I didn't speak the language and was able to make my way but normally there is someone around that speaks a bit of english. I may learn spanish eventually, but at the moment I doubt I have the time due to scheduling and my busy life. Still interested in suggestions though. Suggestions are welcome. Thx

C

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
1) Learn a few basics: they are easy/
2) Stay away from dating sites or they will eat your lunch.
3) No woman you meet or find here will be traveling with you unless she is a professional.
4) There is a lot to see and do here, the island is bigger than West Virginia and the DR is about the same size, with mountains, valleys, deserts, rain forests, cloud forests, dry forests, piney woods, beaches, and more beaches.
5) The idea of renting a place for a month is a good one. See about a place in Cabarete. That is one place where you might find a non-Dominican female to run around the island with.
6) If I was to go to Iowa, or Minnesota or gee, upstate New York and speak only Spanish, do you think I would be able to get by? However, if I know a few phrases, people will smile and help me out...So learn a little, or stay on the beach..

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
I am interested in any insight as to where I could go. Puerto Rico? Sorry couldn't resist . . . .

I've been in a number of places where I didn't speak the language and was able to make my way but normally there is someone around that speaks a bit of english. Still interested in suggestions though. Suggestions are welcome.

You'd probably be fine in the Colonial Zone. Although the general population is not bilinugal, if you have the right attitude, you can get your basic needs met. Now of course, you won't be able to have in-depth discussions, but likely not what you are looking for. You'll also learn more Spanish doing it your way than staying at an AI. You can then take day trips/over night trips to other areas.

Dominicans are helpful, in general, and are not language snobs by any means, so I wouldn't worry too much about lack of language skills on either part. As a seasoned traveler, you'll be fine in most places you'll consider.