New Year, Nuevo Tu!

RAmelia

Oct 20, 2011
So it's 2012. Looking for folks interested in sharing what they're doing towards better health in 2012. Whether you are looking to lose weight, maintain weight, or simply become more educated about how to live long and strong!

Todas contribuciones son bienvenidas. English or Spanish.

So here is what I'm doing:

1. Read, read, and then read again food labels. Got to know what you put in your body, particularly the carb count and the type of fat (say no to polysaturated) found in each item. Caloric count doesn't matter as much as the carb, sodium and total fat numbers do.

2. Exercising. Yes, it's a drag I know but you've GOT to do it. THERE IS NO MAGIC PILL, TRICK, DIET,etc and it pains me when I go to the beauty salon and other places and hear my fellow Dominicans and other Hispanic friends talk about stuff they buy off infomercials, the internet etc promising overnight results! These companies prey on foreigners and we have got to stop making them richer! I get up at 5:00, hit they gym around 5:30 and work out till 7 or so. It allows me to get the exercising out of the way before my day starts so no excuses, conflicts pop up during the day. You do it consistently and you WILL get used to it. Your body will actually start craving it, looking forward to it. Believe me. Plus, you feel like a million bucks when you take a shower after and get on with your day. It is true that exercise is a drug (a good one) so try it if you haven't.

3. Gave up sodas as of 2012. Wasn't a big user but do love a Coke. Instead, I found this product called True Lime which is crystallized lime juice (they have orange and lemon too) and you add it to your water and end up drinking 8 even 10 glasses of water a day without even realizing it! Seltzer water is a nice alternative too.

Is it working? I think so. I went to DR for Navidad and came back on 12/28 weighting in at 154. Currently at 145 so not bad so far.

About you? Let's hear it. Any healthy Dominican recipes? Que mas?

abretusojos10

Dec 2, 2007
this is a great idea! I am struggling myself to lose a little extra fat !!! I can't seem to find the time to exercise, I find myself starting a diet everyweek... I usually just drink only water, eat veggies and only meat with low seasoning or none. snack with fruits or soda crackers. but I find it hard with my stress driving me nuts all day. I need a little motivation. What do you guys suggest?

I have been thinking of printing up pictures of what I'd like to look like and pasting it in the bathroom or the bedroom. but I think it may depress me instead of motivate me.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
If one is in their mid to late 30's or older it is difficult to get weight off w/o doing exercises or really changing one's diet. Probably a combination of doing exercises 3 times a week for a half hour and cutting back on greasy meat, fried foods, soft drinks and sweets can go a long way.

For me I would rather do more exercises and still be able to drink a coke and a beer and eat bread on a daily basis. One thing that is certain that being overweight is not genetic but is just poor eating habits. For example, most people like to eat until they feel like they are going to pop like they did when they were teenagers. This can be mitigated of course by filling up on vegetables like salad, etc but better yet is for people to learn they need to stop eating before they really feel full.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I've been on a sort of health kick since last September - I'm trying to do something about my soaring cholesterol and triglyceride levels: all but stopped eating bread, cheese, butter, sugar, chocolate, prawns and eggs, switched from white rice and pasta to brown, and trying to reduce carb volumes. Never used to have sugar (apart from in chocolate) meat, milk, fizzy drinks or fried stuff anyway. More importantly, I've been walking for 1-1.5 hours 3 or 4 times a week and use a bicycle or walk for short trips within Punta Cana Village.

Although Dominican food does not have a healthy image, most dishes can be made healthier by reducing oil, salt or sugar, and not using artificial sopita/sazones. We have a "light" category on the cooking site: Light

Some very healthy options include cepa de apio, chench?n (without the milk) and casabe.

Crema de cepa de apio (Creole celery root cream) - Dominican Cooking
Receta: Chench?n (Savoury cracked corn) - Dominican Cooking

Casabe toasted with a bit of olive oil, garlic and oregano is to die for.

Not to mention all the fresh fruit and veg.

rice&beans

Silver
May 16, 2010
I've been on a sort of health kick since last September - I'm trying to do something about my soaring cholesterol and triglyceride levels: all but stopped eating bread, cheese, butter, sugar, chocolate, prawns and eggs, switched from white rice and pasta to brown, and trying to reduce carb volumes. Never used to have sugar (apart from in chocolate) meat, milk, fizzy drinks or fried stuff anyway. More importantly, I've been walking for 1-1.5 hours 3 or 4 times a week and use a bicycle or walk for short trips within Punta Cana Village.

Although Dominican food does not have a healthy image, most dishes can be made healthier by reducing oil, salt or sugar, and not using artificial sopita/sazones. We have a "light" category on the cooking site: Light

Some very healthy options include cepa de apio, chench?n (without the milk) and casabe.

Simvastatin.....miracle drug...(at least for me)....lowered my cholesterol 100 points in a year and a half....incredible, very happy....

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
If possible I'd like to do this without having to take anything - but if there is no improvement after 6 months of diet and exercise I might have no choice.
r&b - what, if any, are the side effects?

young seniors

Bronze
Feb 1, 2012
this is a great idea! I am struggling myself to lose a little extra fat !!! I can't seem to find the time to exercise, I find myself starting a diet everyweek... I usually just drink only water, eat veggies and only meat with low seasoning or none. snack with fruits or soda crackers. but I find it hard with my stress driving me nuts all day. I need a little motivation. What do you guys suggest?

I have been thinking of printing up pictures of what I'd like to look like and pasting it in the bathroom or the bedroom. but I think it may depress me instead of motivate me.
First thing to do is STOP the DIET THINKING. I, too, could loose about 10-15 pounds or so. My problem is chips, ice cream, popcorn etc. I drink lots of water and eat mainly fish and chicken, veggies and fruit. I try to stay away from anything that is WHITE, like flour, sugar, bread etc. Chip is right, the older you get the tougher it gets to loose the pounds. I do exercise, BUT.......like i said its CHIPS, ICE CREAM, POPCORN etc. If I can rid myself of that, I`d be doing good. Hard to do while hibernating in the snowy blizzardly weather. suppose i can walk more, but I guess Im lazy.

rice&beans

Silver
May 16, 2010
If possible I'd like to do this without having to take anything - but if there is no improvement after 6 months of diet and exercise I might have no choice.
r&b - what, if any, are the side effects?

I've never experienced any side effects, but as you know, everyone is different, from everything I have read on it, people seem to tolerate it pretty good....

Simvastatin Side Effects

I also walk 45 minutes a day, and hit the gym every other day....it's become more mental than physical, that sense of overcoming, when you really don't feel like doing it.

Funny, I told my doctor, "I'm still eaten all the bad stuff, and I can't believe my cholesterol is still going down"....she whispered Shhhh...winked, and said..."Don't tell anyone"

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I have been eating everything I want,and all I want,and I still weigh the same as I did when I graduated from high school!
It MUST be genetic!
Oh,and the fact that I was obese when I graduated!
CC

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Before each meal I have been trying to drink a broth, chicken, vegetable etc... Also trying to stay away from rice, potatoes, bread etc...I have never been a big water drinker but I now have been trying to drink at least 8 glasses. I put a slice of lemon/limon and for me it makes drinking the water a treat. I really do not eat sweets that much but give me some potatoes or some bread. Yes the older I get the harder it is to take it the weight off.

RAmelia

Oct 20, 2011
The key is NOT to think of a diet but rather educated eating. If we think DIET, then our brains will automatically tend to go to the "restriction zone" and that's not what it's all about. Think of it this way, if you went to a fritura and the attendant told you that the oil the tostones was fried in was recycled from last month, would you still buy the tostones or would you choose for either something else on the menu or perhaps a different fritura? It's the same concept when eating food. If you know how carbs turn into sugar in your body (which translates into extra pounds) they you are less likely to pick an item with a huge carb count because of the effect it will have on your weight.

In terms of time to exercise, it's hard at first but believe me when I tell you that your body begins to look forward to it after just 2-3 weeks of CONSISTENTLY doing it. Also, exercise doesn't mean a gym. You can exercise at home, you can take your kids out to the park and "play" by chasing a ball with them (they'll love the quality time too), and also walk the dog, etc. Some people take running shoes to work and just walk around the block a few times during lunch. Any little bit helps. Also, finding a buddy to do with is highly recommended so you stay consistent.

I keep a journal of what I eat daily, track my weight weekly (every Friday morning) and also keep track of my measurements on the first of every month. The pounds are sometimes up and sometimes down but by tracking what I eat, I am able to see what may have contributed to the extra gain for that week. However, I don't let that discourage me although it's very easy to feel like throwing in the towel. Also, since I track my measurements and those have been slightly going down each and every time, then I use that as my motivator on the weeks when I've gained a little.

You are not eating enough and no offense but your diet sounds quite boring. Try and add at least one of your favorite foods into your meals a day and then balance it out for the remainder. For instance, if you love locrio/arroz con pollo, have it BUT measure how much you have. You'll be surprised how much we tend to pour on a plate when we don't measure.

Good luck and keep posting here how you are doing :)

RAmelia

Oct 20, 2011
Agree that adding lemon to water makes it a lot easier to "drink our 8 glasses per day". I love True Lime, which is sold at most supermarkets in little pouches that equal a wedge of lime. Also comes in lemon and orange. Great to have around when you can't hit the produce market and also to throw in your purse and have handy, even when eating out.

RAmelia

Oct 20, 2011
I have been eating everything I want,and all I want,and I still weigh the same as I did when I graduated from high school!
It MUST be genetic!
Oh,and the fact that I was obese when I graduated!
CC

Good for you! Yes, it must be genetic. Not all of us are that lucky :)

RAmelia

Oct 20, 2011
If one is in their mid to late 30's or older it is difficult to get weight off w/o doing exercises or really changing one's diet. Probably a combination of doing exercises 3 times a week for a half hour and cutting back on greasy meat, fried foods, soft drinks and sweets can go a long way.

For me I would rather do more exercises and still be able to drink a coke and a beer and eat bread on a daily basis. One thing that is certain that being overweight is not genetic but is just poor eating habits. For example, most people like to eat until they feel like they are going to pop like they did when they were teenagers. This can be mitigated of course by filling up on vegetables like salad, etc but better yet is for people to learn they need to stop eating before they really feel full.

You got it! I read somewhere that it takes our brains 30 minutes to recognize that we are full. So if we slow down when we eat, we definitely end up reaching that full stage quicker and often leaving food on our plate. I've tested this. Not eating in front of the TV is also recommended because then you are distracted and maybe eating too fast.

I can't stress enough the benefit of investing in a set of measuring cups, spoons plus a food scale (got one at Bed & Bath and Beyond for 5 bucks) because when you actually see how much rice in an 80z cup, then you realize that you may have been eating 2-3 times that much by using a "cucharon" when serving yourself :)

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
You got it! I read somewhere that it takes our brains 30 minutes to recognize that we are full. So if we slow down when we eat, we definitely end up reaching that full stage quicker and often leaving food on our plate. I've tested this. Not eating in front of the TV is also recommended because then you are distracted and maybe eating too fast.

I can't stress enough the benefit of investing in a set of measuring cups, spoons plus a food scale (got one at Bed & Bath and Beyond for 5 bucks) because when you actually see how much rice in an 80z cup, then you realize that you may have been eating 2-3 times that much by using a "cucharon" when serving yourself :)

I actually use a large soap dish for my large lunch meal and a small one for dinner(for plantain or cassava) so I know how much to eat.

RAmelia

Oct 20, 2011
If you eat real food it doesn't have labels. No way to read on the side of a banana or carrot, potato or papaya how many calories are in it. And if you really want to be healthy you'll steer clear of food that comes with labels.
Der Fish

Agree but fruits and vegetables are good for you so I personally don't worry about the caloric or other value of these. As a matter of fact, I use fruits and veggies to compensate for an extra cup of rice or something else on my plate. The label reading stressed here is for prepared, processed and other foods and the stuff our bodies don't need every day like sodas, etc.

RAmelia

Oct 20, 2011

Appreciate the recipes!

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

You are on the right path and you should end up healthier for it.