HOW TO SHIP a kayak to the DR

latitude19

May 29, 2011
Hey, I'm getting a competition surf kayak from a store in Savannah, Georgia. It is roughly 9 feet, 23 inches wide and around 30 lbs. I'm thinking that between shipping and duties better off to simply fly to Miami (Would have kayak store ship to Miami.) and bring it back with me. Or, is there a reasonably fast (2 weeks or less) and secure way to ship it here??

Also, does anyone know of anybody kayak surfing in the DR?? thanks, tom

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I haven't used them but my wife's cousins use them on a regular basis. Awilda trucks are a common sight in the DR.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Criss- It's a kayak, not a rowboat. Paddle back is the terminology. I'll paddle back, but only if you join me to beat up the sharks along the route.

Remember, he has a large ^ss, needs to fit into the Kayak 'hole'... maybe cant get out

Kidding, just kidding...........

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
I doubt the airlines would allow you to ship this item by normal means. You probably could ship it but you would have to ship it as special cargo through the airlines. You are better off using a shipping company that specializes in this sort of thing. Through the airlines it would probably cost more to ship than what the item is worth.

LTS

Gordon

Jan 24, 2011
I doubt the airlines would allow you to ship this item by normal means. You probably could ship it but you would have to ship it as special cargo through the airlines. You are better off using a shipping company that specializes in this sort of thing. Through the airlines it would probably cost more to ship than what the item is worth.

LTS
I brought down two kayaks one trip using westjet. They were shipped as personal baggage. I was told that they do not move them to the aircraft in the baggage bins but add them to the cargo hold after all the normal size cargo is in and they put then on top of everything else. For this reason they could not guarantee they would reach the destination on the same flight and you would not find out if they were actually loaded until baggage pick up on arrival. They would get then on the next available flight though. In my case they made the flight and although one kayak was two inches over the maximum allowed it was shipped anyway without comment. There was a oversize charge that they could not figure out easily at check in so they did not bother charging me. It would have been $45 each at the time.

You have to love Westjet airlines! A very small "supervisor charge" at customs and a small porter charge to get them through the airport system. It totalled about 200RD a kayak. You have to love DR customs!

latitude19

May 29, 2011
I'll be calling Awilda, but anybody off top of head know ballpark price for shipment?? Also, guessing they deliver to your location, correct?

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
3/8 will be ok but I would make it 100 feet rather than 50. Just in case the ship puts on the brakes suddenly.

cocoleka

Sep 7, 2007
if you do ship it with this company would you mind eventually posting the cost and the general impression?
I'm also thinking of shipping a similar kayak down there. Thanks.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
When you ship to Awlida, once rec'd in Corona, call Jessica and she will price it.

They will ship it before you pay - if you're mailing a check - or it can be COD if you're on the rec'ing end to pay.

I have had no trouble ..search Awilda for more info