Canadian Checks?

abretusojos10

Dec 2, 2007
Hey this is really for a friend who is trying to change his Canadian Pension checks...

is there anywhere here in DR where he can do this?

is it even possible?

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Who still receives checks any more?

Maybe someone else can answer that question but may I suggest that your friend have his pension checks directly deposited into a Canadian bank account and then he can withdraw the money at an ATM.

james

Jan 14, 2002
If he regualrly cashes dollars etc with a Cambio they may cash cheques for him. I cash mine in Sosua area with a Cabio house...not a cambio on the street. I think they can do the same in POP so why not SD.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
If he regualrly cashes dollars etc with a Cambio they may cash cheques for him. I cash mine in Sosua area with a Cabio house...not a cambio on the street. I think they can do the same in POP so why not SD.

The issue is not cashing a check, but cashing a Canadian check. I have always understood that Canadian checks could not be cashed in the DR. In the office, we have even had difficulty cashing checks, in US dollars, drawn on banks in the UK.

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
A friend of mine cashes her Canadian survivor benefit pension check every month in Cabarete. The Canadian Pension fund can't directly deposit into an account in the DR, even at Scotiabank. We looked into this 4 yrs ago, and the answer they gave, is that there is a software problem with banks that are outside Canada and the US.
So yes, you can cash a Canadian Govt check, but you have to find where they accept them.

james

Jan 14, 2002
The issue is not cashing a check, but cashing a Canadian check. I have always understood that Canadian checks could not be cashed in the DR. In the office, we have even had difficulty cashing checks, in US dollars, drawn on banks in the UK.

Sorry I was talking about Canadian checks that I cash at my Cambio house every month for many years now.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
A friend of mine cashes her Canadian survivor benefit pension check every month in Cabarete. The Canadian Pension fund can't directly deposit into an account in the DR, even at Scotiabank. We looked into this 4 yrs ago, and the answer they gave, is that there is a software problem with banks that are outside Canada and the US.
So yes, you can cash a Canadian Govt check, but you have to find where they accept them.

It might work if you open a ScotuaBank account in Canada to take the deposit.
Then you can wire it or ATM it here to access the funds.

I do it that way. ATM withdrawals are free that way

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
It might work if you open a ScotuaBank account in Canada to take the deposit.
Then you can wire it or ATM it here to access the funds.

I do it that way. ATM withdrawals are free that way

The problem is that she is Dominican, and there is no way she can get a visa to go to Canada to open an account. The only way is to have power of attorney transferred to her sister in law in Canada and have her open an account, and then send all that paperwork to the pension dept, and hopefully the approve they direct deposit. We looked into that too, and Pension Canada will only deposit into the account of the person named on the check....
So she relies on the great postal system for her check to arrive....

abretusojos10

Dec 2, 2007
Oh my lord...

I am NOT Canadian. I'm American.
A friend at work is not able to cash his pension check and I just thought maybe someone here was more informed.
He's tried different banks he states Scotia will do it but it will take them 20days. I just told him since he doesn't have anybody in Canada to help him just wait it out. Better than $0.00

The problem is that she is Dominican, and there is no way she can get a visa to go to Canada to open an account. The only way is to have power of attorney transferred to her sister in law in Canada and have her open an account, and then send all that paperwork to the pension dept, and hopefully the approve they direct deposit. We looked into that too, and Pension Canada will only deposit into the account of the person named on the check....
So she relies on the great postal system for her check to arrive....

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Oh my lord...

I am NOT Canadian. I'm American.
A friend at work is not able to cash his pension check and I just thought maybe someone here was more informed.
He's tried different banks he states Scotia will do it but it will take them 20days. I just told him since he doesn't have anybody in Canada to help him just wait it out. Better than $0.00

I think 20 days is a good deal. I have not had any luck cashing any US government checks at any cambio houses.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I will be surprised if you can cash a CDn check.... take the 20 day option.... or wire, but you need to be in Can to wire unless you have a relative/friend to do it for you.

Sylet

Sep 14, 2012
Can you please give the name of the cambio house. We have been trying to chased a check for tree month to no avail