Do renters need a Guarantor

HarryLB13

Feb 21, 2012
Hello everyone. I am an American retiree living in Panama. I am planning an exploratory trip to Santiago, Dominican Republic in the next few months. If the trip goes well, I will probably obtain the needed retirement document and move to Santiago.

It is always recommended that a new person should rent for at least six months. I plan to rent long-term and I have no plans to buy at any time. However, I have read that a renter must have a ?Guarantor?. Is this a real requirement? If so, how do the many expats that live and rent in the DR work around such a requirement?

Thanks guys

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I have not heard of that and have rented several properties. You will be asked for a deposit - 2 or 3 months plus one month's rent. You will need a guarantor to open a bank account - either a Dominican or an expat with residency.

Matilda

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
I have not heard of that and have rented several properties. You will be asked for a deposit - 2 or 3 months plus one month's rent. You will need a guarantor to open a bank account - either a Dominican or an expat with residency.

Matilda

I was once asked by a landlord for a guarantor. I refused, and rented the property anyway.

Neither did I need one to open a bank-account. I did need references from Dominicans with an account at that bank.

BelgianK

Dubby

Mar 30, 2004
I agree that it depends on the landlord. The first apartment I rented the landlord did not require one but the
second did.

safariknut

Mar 5, 2012
g.php
Neither did I need one to open a bank-account. I did need references from Dominicans with an account at that bank.