Claro Internet Question

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Okay, so I have a Claro stick, with 5G.

Question is: if I use Skype, is that considered downloading video?

I have Magicjack to call the US, but loved seeing the daughter and grandsons today on Skype . After we hung up, it occurred to me that it might use too much of my 5G and I should use the MJ instead.

Anyone know???

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
I really don't think you meant 5G, more like "4G". If you use Skype it would be somewhat similar to streaming video. Does Claro cap you monthly? For example, are you only allowed 100MB per month? If so, using Skype will consume your monthly allotted bits.

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
AE, the meter on your internet usage starts as soon as you open any browser or app that uses the web...how much depends on what you are doing. Video streaming (skype) can use quite a bit...web browsing not much at all (thrown in for comparison)

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Grace, I find that the CLARO whatever, stick, modem rarely can support the Skype video.
We try it w/ our Australia daughter and it always fails after a bit.

That video is a life saver for families - just hard to work here

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
My skype video is great with the Claro stick - I use it every day for at least 10 minutes. Occasionally it is a bit iffy but rarely.

Matilda

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Grace, I find that the CLARO whatever, stick, modem rarely can support the Skype video.
We try it w/ our Australia daughter and it always fails after a bit.

That video is a life saver for families - just hard to work here

WW, it worked great for us, if I sit outside on the terrazzo I get 5 full bars with the stick. Inside the house, only 2-3.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
It might be my imagination but things seem to be better very recently......... faster and a steadier connection.

We were promised improvements... March 8th was mentioned..... keep your fingers crossed.

I haven't tried Video for a while, but based on your optimism I will.

Remember, the problem isn't the stick or modem - its the quality and strength of the feed you're getting.
I had internet weakness with 5 bars.... flatulence blowing through the lines !!!

Dubby

Mar 30, 2004
It might be my imagination but things seem to be better very recently......... faster and a steadier connection.

We were promised improvements... March 8th was mentioned..... keep your fingers crossed.

I haven't tried Video for a while, but based on your optimism I will.

Remember, the problem isn't the stick or modem - its the quality and strength of the feed you're getting.
I had internet weakness with 5 bars.... flatulence blowing through the lines !!!

I have a quick question - I am thinking of getting the same service and was wondering how if anyone has
used it with netflicks?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I think the present system is a bit slow to download the NetFlix movies.

But thats my area... depending on where you are, the system might be better.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I have a quick question - I am thinking of getting the same service and was wondering how if anyone has
used it with netflicks?

First off it is too slow, second if it does work you will be throttled in two days, and it won't work anyway. Get a Claro landline with DSL and you will be in business with no limit.