Looking for photography school on N.Coast, or tutor

JessicaRabbit

Sep 21, 2009
I wanna learn how to use SLR camera and learn Photoshop from beginner to advanced level. More for my self-development, not planning to work as a photographer, just wanna do real nice pix for myself and family. I cant stand online courses, prefer someone personally introduce me into the new stuff for me, share tricks and tips, then i go with books. Funny part that my dad is a photographer (for newspapers), but he was working only with film cameras, black and white stuff. I wanna know how to use modern cam and software to the maximum of its ability, im thinking of getting Nikon D90 from ebay. I already have good soft box light kit and background muslin with stands, so lessons can be done at my place in case of tutoring. Its between Cabarete and Sosua. Tutor/teachers in school have to be profi but also with skill to teach! Not that im dumb but just want it to be time efficient. May be asking too much... sigh

PM me pls if you have any recommendations

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
awww... it's a shame we're not closer, I would have been happy to give you some help. My place is in Punta Cana, and I'm only there a few times a year for a week or two. I'm a photog, commercial/corporate/advertising. Used to also teach courses for community college, and I miss teaching. Have mentored people from time to time too. In general, best thing is to keep shooting, and trust your "eye". There's a lot to learn with the technology, but don't let it overwhelm you. Learn to use the functions that are most important for you, and pick up the finer points as you go or as you need them. There's no way to learn ALL of photoshop, it would be a full time career it is so deep and feature rich. Use the parts that make sense to you. In the end, it still boils down to the photographer's creativity, and personal vision.

JessicaRabbit

Sep 21, 2009
Damn yeah PC is a remote spot.. But in case... i take a week off... and come to PC... you think you can put enough material in my head within that week? How much $ would it be?

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
in that time I could definitely get you to the point where you would be proficient with the camera, teach you some basic lighting (sounds from your post you might be doing some studio type photos), teach some basic photo and composition theory, and how to use P-shop for editing, primary corrections, color and density corrections, some basic retouching, and filing and archiving.

As unusual as this might be in the D.R., I wouldn't charge for this, LOL My business is doing photography, not teaching. I got a lot of help when I first started, and helping someone with a few lessons is just part of paying it forward.

The difficult part would be arranging a time when I'll be in the D.R., but that could be worked out.

one other point... the D90 is a good camera, but is being replaced by a newer generation. For your purposes, there might be better choices. Be VERY careful of buying on eBay... I have done it, but I know exactly what I'm looking for. There are lots of ways to get kinda scammed on there.

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
You should contact Rick at Rockys Bar, aka dafishguy on DR1. He may be able to help you out on the North Coast.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
JR, there are wide and deep resources, video tutorials, on youtube that will be VERY helpful.

Try there.

JessicaRabbit

Sep 21, 2009
JR, there are wide and deep resources, video tutorials, on youtube that will be VERY helpful.

Try there.
I always do so when there are no other options but its booorrrinnnggg
I spend all day at computer working so wanted something different for a change.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I always do so when there are no other options but its booorrrinnnggg
I spend all day at computer working so wanted something different for a change.
The ONLY way to become proficient at Photoshop or Illustrator is hours and hours at the keyboard.

Welcome to geekdom...

JessicaRabbit

Sep 21, 2009
The ONLY way to become proficient at Photoshop or Illustrator is hours and hours at the keyboard.

Welcome to geekdom...

LOL i figured but at least i try to skip some hours where i dont need computer to learn photography :D ( i mean learning how to use camera, light etc etc)

goldengirl5

Mar 7, 2012
I got a lot of help when I first started, and helping someone with a few lessons is just part of paying it forward.
g.php

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
perhaps you should start out with Adobe Lightroom 3 (Lightroom 4 is due out soon). photoshop seems to be the norm for a lot of people. i achieve the same results with LightRoom. Lightroom 4 will also be able to edit video. btw, i am a videographer and photographer.
but as any good photographer will tell you, depend on your camera, not the software. learn the basics of ISO, aperture, exposure, shutter speed, composition and depth of field.
using flash photogrpahy to do some potraits in a studio setting is a different ballgame.
nikin d90 is a nice camera (i'm a canon guy) but you can get a better camera for the price of a D90.
i have a 18mp Canon T3i which can also do some stunning 1920x1080 HD video.

good luck !!

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010

Welcome to geekdom...

I used to think a darkroom was a "time sponge".... Pshop is far worse. LOL But it CAN be fun.

In the end though, the only real way to get good at taking pics is to TAKE PICS. Actually the best lessons I ever learned were from bad photos and mistakes. Even when I'm slow for a while, I can see the difference in my photos. When I'm busy and shooting a lot, I'm better.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Perhaps you should start out with Adobe Lightroom 3 (Lightroom 4 is due out soon). photoshop seems to be the norm for a lot of people. i achieve the same results with LightRoom. Lightroom 4 will also be able to edit video.

Information on Lightroom 4-

Adobe releases Photoshop Lightroom 4 at more affordable price: Digital Photography Review

Many people do their photo/video editing in different fashions, but you'd do well to invest in an IPS panel (maybe two for side-by-side comparison and extra workspace) and make sure you color calibrate the screen/s.