Playa Coson - Los Nomadas

mooskey

Oct 24, 2011
I recently returned to Toronto after spending a week in Dominican Republic at Playa Coson, on the outskirts of Las Terrenas. We stayed in one of the beachfront Villas in Los Nomadas, Villa Arquebuse. We had 3 families in the villa, 6 adults and 6 kids under the age of 6.

The beach was amazing at Playa Coson....daily trips down the beach to Luis Restaurant for fresh lobster lunch, and trips into town for groceries at Lindo. We arranged Whale Watching in Samana with Kim Beddal, which exceeded our expectations and really delivered a up close experience with lots of humpback whales. Amazing weather every day (Feb 5th -12th 2012), an amazing housekeeper and cook onsite at the Villa...all around an amazing experience.

There was only really one drawback, which is clouding our decision to return again next year. Mosquitoes. For the adults, it was not really too big an issue, but for the kids it was absolutely unbearable. They were all completely covered in mosquito bites head to toe, blanketing their skin in layers and layers of bites. We quickly learned to close off all the windows and doors after sunset, and to burn multiple green mosquito coils in every room.

Thankfully we had the foresight to bring a tent with us that we planned to use on the beach. Instead, all the kids slept in that 6 person tent every night after the 2nd night of unrelenting mosquito attack. The local mosquito repellant had little to no effect in deterring the pests. The villa had no mosquito nets on the beds, and certainly no airtight windows or doors to keep the mosquitos out at night. It was kind of ridiculous to rent a humungous 6 bedroom villa, and have 3 bedrooms empty as all the kids slept in a tent in the living room.

The villa itself was absolutely beautiful, but we came to dread the sunset each evening as it would undoubtedly bring the mosquitos out to attack the kids again.

So, some questions for those DR1 members better familiar with Las Terrenas, Playa Coson, and the fact of life that is dealing with insects in the DR. 1) Is there a better time of year to come than early Feb in regards to mosquitos. 2) Is it true that all the resorts fumigate regularly to get rid of the mosquitos? 3) Any better aversion, defensive techniques to protect the kids from the constand mosquito attacks? I would really like to convince the other families to return to Playa Coson and Los Nomadas again next year, but I have an uphill battle convincing them that we can effectively deal with the bug issue. Some of the families are pushing for a all inclusive next year instead of a villa rental, but I really do prefer to get a villa out on a deserted beach, go into town for groceries and get out of the whole all-inclusive resort mentality and really see the countryside. Maybe it's because as a kid my parents had an apartment in Sosua we would vacation at several times a year, and walk to the grocery store every day. I just don't remember the mosquitos being so bad back then.

Thanks for your advice!

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
Yes, the large resorts fumigate often. You have few options, bring repellent with a lot of deet, use mosquito nets on all beds, long sleeves and long pants after dark, and most effective is to run a fan all night.

latitude19

May 29, 2011
Hi, I would think that you could find a villa rental that has glass or screens to prevent mosquitoes from entering the house reasonably close to where you rented.

Gordon

Jan 24, 2011
We live in the hills just behind Las Terrenas, up with a spectacular view. We are five minutes from the closest beach and about 15 min drive to Coson, our personal favourite. There are sometimes a few mosquitoes that come on the terrace at sunset (and bite a few people more than others) and last an hour but they do not bother me as they really do not bite most people other than a few particular juicy people. We leave our front double door wide open most of the time and use the windows that do not have screens as much as the ones that do, without penalty. I am sorry your trip was ruined by those nasty pests.

We do not have to spray around here thankfully. We do have to spray against ants and other crawlers but mostly for those guests that are not careful about leaving food around, eating in the bedrooms and spilling sugar. I often wondered about those swampy looking areas leading into Coson and Bonita. There are also mosquito farms along the hotels and villas along the LT beaches and you can see the swamps behind them.

Please come back but maybe pick a place to stay away from the swamps. Many of us do not have the bothersome aspect of those nasty biters. No screens required!!

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
The bites are just an annoyance. The DR mosquitoes (only one variety) carry Dengue Fever. Its something you do not want to ever suffer thru. Its also called "break bone fever". I try to avoid anywhere in the DR that is infested with mosquitoes. On the north coast the land adjacent to the beach is on a low lying coastal plain and the mosquitoes just love it there. The rich resorts spray a lot to keep down the numbers of insects. Live up on a hill, get the strong afternoon breezes and less insects. So what if you have a one minute drive to the beach. And you will never drown in the Tsunami that someday will hit us. Not paranoid, just sensible risk avoidance.

Gordon

Jan 24, 2011
Forgot about the fever. Wow I suddenly feel so fortunate to live on my hilltop with those lovely mountain breezes. Bonus - I love the ability to escape the loud music on the beach on party weekends (aren't they all here?). No mosquito nets needed.

ssarkas

Oct 9, 2007
i use a fan to sleep and my dogs flea shampoo to work in the yard when theyre really thick. works great and i havent died from it yet.

Gordon

Jan 24, 2011
The Hartz Ultra Guard plus flea collar is a nice garden accessory too although with higher work loads in the garden it does not last as long and should be replaced around the 60 day mark.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hi:

Very simple solution is either to demand that the villa you recently rented be equipped with screens or move on and find one that already has them. I live in Las Terrenas at Don Cesar Residencia and when my wife and I bought our Condo we insisted with the owner/builder that we wanted screens on every window. There are people at our complex that do not have screens and they are forced to shut all the windows at dusk and use expensive air conditioning all night. The mosquitos are not leaving any time soon and for the life of me I can't understand this attitude of not making a simple fix. Putting up screens is simple, fairly inexpensive and a definite advantage to the owner and renter. DO NOT expose your kids to this again. Fumigating is not healthy. They are using chemicals to fight the mosiquitos that have probably been banned in North America. I am not trying to scare you but find a healthy alternative.

LTS

LTS

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Living on Swamp Land

... pick a place to stay away from the swamps. Many of us do not have the bothersome aspect of those nasty biters. No screens required!!

Quite right.
There used to be a swamp belt behind the beach line along the Las Terrenas area.
(As far as I know even rice was cultivated there then.)
The land was filled up to obtain building sites but, of course, the ground-water table is still high. Such land is shown to potential buyers on dry days... :cheeky:

From our hilltop finca (alt. 300m) we can see the mosquito farms filling up on rainy days. :classic:

donP

Gordon

Jan 24, 2011
The best protection is to not live where they breed and feed!!!!

@ DonP
I cannot imagine a more beautiful place in the world to watch the mosquito slappers from. Hope you have a great spotting scope handy.

As a side note from the earlier weather window we had (and thanks to my wifes sweater collection), I will never laugh at your woodstove again. promise

Juniper

Apr 15, 2004
In addition to the mosquitoes, we also have lots of "no-see'ms", (gegenes in Spanish) in the sand. I am sure the kids
got hit with those also.

A lovely alternative in Las Terrenas is renting an apartment or villa in Balcones del Atlantico. The apartments are huge and the villas are even bigger. Full maid service daily, all the amenities and clean beaches.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
AHHHH I wonder how this is all going to work out? All this... well.. marketing.. Las Terrenas is indeed built on a swamp.. as is Coson.. there is no way the bugs are leaving.. it is always going to be a sorta lonley planet destination for those of us who actually want to learn to live with the bugs but that is long term project.. so it is never going to be a safe short term vacation spot... the beach at Coson? Dangerous as all get out! And I have been a life long diver.. No reef. Wicked undertow.. We lose two people a year there.

Punto Poppy is safe. The Village is safe. Playa Ballena. Playa Bonita... yup

coson is an outback dangerous place...
do better research when you are traveling with young children please

Juniper

Apr 15, 2004
I agree with Mountainannie, the beach in Playa Coson is indeed very dangereous. And for future travelers, do your homework indeed. There are many places that advertise online that paint a wonderful picture of their rentals; however, most places are not what they portray them to be.

There are many areas in Las Terrenas where you don't want to be, for several reasons, but mainly for security reasons; and Coson is one of them.

mooskey

Oct 24, 2011
Balcones del Atlantico eh?

In addition to the mosquitoes, we also have lots of "no-see'ms", (gegenes in Spanish) in the sand. I am sure the kids
got hit with those also.

A lovely alternative in Las Terrenas is renting an apartment or villa in Balcones del Atlantico. The apartments are huge and the villas are even bigger. Full maid service daily, all the amenities and clean beaches.

Maybe we'll check out Balcones del Atlantico next time. I definitely really enjoyed Las Terrenas and want to go back again next year with the kids. Just gotta figure out how to deal better with those pesky bugs.

Don Case

Jun 1, 2011
www.monteplacido.com
I own and operate a small rental residence here in LT and it is shameful that the owners at Los Nomadas of the residence and coop don't spray once every 2 weeks which is sufficient to keep them away. They charged you a bundle to rent and the least they could do is put in some nets in the rooms. They know that Las Nomadas was built on marsh land and you have plenty of it in the back just perfect breeding ground for mosquitoes. As an owner/renter in LT I suggest that you go on TRIPADVISOR and write them up and let them know next time they will invest at least in nets.
Next time you come look us up up here hardly ever any blood thirsty insects and if so we spray and provide nets.

Buy an ad to on DR1 or be deleted

Last edited by a moderator:

Don Case

Jun 1, 2011
www.monteplacido.com
Glass kind of defeats the purpose of wanting to live outdooors. If you close the windows why not turn on the a/c.
The architecture is such on most rental properties that they aren't and can't be screened in but the berdooms can and all one needs to do is close the door open screened windows and spray beofree to turn in.