Rifle, Shotgun, Pistol information

TMac3187

Mar 7, 2012
Hello, I have a question on shotgun, rifle and pistol ownership in the DR. I would like one of each. After finishing the residency and permit requirements what are the rules after that? Thank you in advance.

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
Go and visit a good gun dealer, he will help you through the process.

TMac3187

Mar 7, 2012
Thank's Mido, the one is Casa Nelson doesn't carry pistols. I was looking to see examples of pricing on shotguns etc......I am sure a good HK or SigSauer will be a heavy bill though.....Nevertheless thank you for your advice.....

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Private individuals are not allowed to have a rifle. You can have a pistol up to 9mm which you can carry concealed and you can have a shotgun. They are VERY expensive as is the ammunition and you must be a resident as well.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
kinda interesting, and the "no rifle" rule is particularly puzzling.

Here in the U.S. I could drive 5 minutes to Wal-Mart, buy any number of rifles, shot guns and ammo and it would take no more than 20 minutes.

To get a pistol here, I'd have to register and wait three days for clearance... and to be able to carry it (legally), I'd have to wade through more red tape than you could imagine... background check, police investigation, etc etc.

Different cultures.

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
kinda interesting, and the "no rifle" rule is particularly puzzling.
Most of the politicians in power today were alive during the last coup d'?tat of 1963. It's cheaper to disarm the population than arm the military.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
That's not your "rifle" that is your gun!!

Remember?
This is my rifle
This is my gun
This for shooting
and this is for fun!!

Boo Ha!

HB

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
I will answer for lots of others; It is not a need. I am armed because it is my legal right. I am armed to protect myself, my family and perhaps you from becoming a victim of criminal violence. I have taken instruction in use of a personal protection handgun. I practice target shooting on a regular basis. The average person is unaware of how many people are victims of criminal violence every day. For example I try not to drive at night in the DR. If I have to drive at night I bring my gun, an extra magazine and a powerful flashlight. So far I have not needed the gun. I have carried a concealed weapon most of my adult life. Carrying my little friend gives me a warm comfortable feeling.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
As of last Oct., my rifle shoots blanks.............lol.....I hope..

B in Santiago

You too? Hmm, family discussions are requesting I have mine reactivated again which is way more expensive than having it deactivated in the first place, and I was kind of hoping my days of worrying about my loaded weapon were behind me, yet alone the aftermath of a once again loaded weapon, the peace of mind while carrying an unloaded weapon is great n all but hey, women, what can you do???

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
If I carried a loaded firearm here in the DR,I would be "On the street" for less than a week!
Wanna guess why????
Cris Colon
But don't come to my home unannounced!
You might get to:,"Say Hello To My Leetal Frend"!

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
As of last Oct., my rifle shoots blanks.............lol.....I hope..

B in Santiago

UMMMM... it takes a few months to empty out the magazine, soldier. Better do some target practice before you take that rifle into action. LOL