Any Gout sufferers here

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Just wondering if anyone else here is putting up with this very annoying malady.....
And what cures and remedies have you discovered.....

B in Santiago

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Yup, I was diagnosed a few years ago. I take Allopurinol 100 mg every day. If you google it, you'll find out there are certain foods that trigger attacks, some of them my favorites [lots of different fish, especially scallops; mushrooms, etc., etc.] There are some things that help, I remember my dad [who also had gout] always eating cherries, because there's something in them that naturally lowers the uric acid. Sometimes I buy cherry juice, don't know if they sell it in DR though.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Yup, I was diagnosed a few years ago. I take Allopurinol 100 mg every day. If you google it, you'll find out there are certain foods that trigger attacks, some of them my favorites [lots of different fish, especially scallops; mushrooms, etc., etc.] There are some things that help, I remember my dad [who also had gout] always eating cherries, because there's something in them that naturally lowers the uric acid. Sometimes I buy cherry juice, don't know if they sell it in DR though.

Has to be sour cherries. Asparagus is what causes my gout to act up. I haven't had an attack for about 5 years because I started eating less preserved meats like ham....etc. Too much uric acid and this can be controlled by two or three different medicines. My advice based on what worked for me- less meat, more vegetables, more water.

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
I have started taking Allopurinol 300 mg every day but I have had an ongoing attack for about 2 months and have tried everything including the cherry juice regiment. Diagnosed years ago and it appears to want to return no matter what I eat. Between Gout and trying to control high cholesterol, it seems like the only thing left to eat is mud. When the pain gets severe which is quite often I take 1 mg Colchicina which has nasty side effects. The special foods, certain vegetables, fruits etc. necessary is getting old......
Just curious if anyone else has tried things like baking soda mixed with water or any other extreme remedies.

B in Santiago

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
Pork is very high in purines which forms uric acid. Uric acid crystals in the joints and organs lead to the painful gout attacks. Allopurinol works to lower uric acid levels in the blood, but, treatment can take months and if you take it during an attack it can make it worse or last longer. If having an acute attack, Colchicine is best for the pain but has disgusting side-effects. You take a 0.6 mg. tablet every hour until the pain subsides or you develop nausia, vommiting or diarhea. When you develop the GI symptoms, it indicates you have taken enough Colchicine. The pain will resolve soon. Then take the Allopurinal to control thr uric acid. Followed this for years with a very rare attack. Take enough allopurinol to maintain your blood uric acid under 8.0. Allopurinol Information from Drugs.com

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Barry, I had such severe achilles tendon pain in my heels that I didn't wear closed shoes for a few years. I lived in open-backed sandals, mules and clogs - nothing could touch my heel without awful pain. Went to the ortho doc, and he had me doing exercises to stretch the tendon - needless to say, that didn't help.

After a couple of years of this, I thought it was my lot in life. Then my doc called after routine blood tests, he had added uric acid [apparently for the first time], and it was so high that his nurse called me to come in. He asked me if my big toe hurt. I said no, but my heels did. He shrugged, gave me a script on a Tuesday, and on Thursday the heel pain was gone, never to return.

Still popping my allopurinol. And dulce is right - beer in particular is a killer!

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
My first attack was the joint in my right big toe, incredibly painful, then my left big toe. It has progressed into my calves with swollen feet. Have recently started taking 300mg allopurinol and seems to be taking a positive effect. Have read large amounts of fresh orange juice also helps so have started that regiment. I know exactly what you went through, you want to cut off your lower extremities. Anyone who hasn't been hit with a Gout attack really has no idea.......
And, never ever alcohol....

B in Santiago

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
The only thing worse than gout pain in a joint is gout pain due to a uric acid crystal forming in kidney. Even the lithotripters can't break up these kidney stones, you gotta pass them.

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
When you have a gout attack the quickest relief is indocin.

In all the years of dealing with this, not one doctor ever mentioned Indocin. This is exactly the info I was looking for. What would the name be here in the DR....
This is exactly what dr 1 is all about, real informative information. The 2 or 3 people on this site who's only agenda is to argue about everything lowers the integrity of this site. Thank you for this info, it is most appreciated.

B in Santiago

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
In all the years of dealing with this, not one doctor ever mentioned Indocin. This is exactly the info I was looking for. What would the name be here in the DR....
This is exactly what dr 1 is all about, real informative information. The 2 or 3 people on this site who's only agenda is to argue about everything lowers the integrity of this site. Thank you for this info, it is most appreciated.

B in Santiago
I' ve used Indocin in the past. It is OK for an acute attack. It is a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory (NSAID) like ibuprofen. It works by reducing the pain and inflammation, but has no effect on the uric acid level in the blood. Once you stop taking it,the giut returns quickly as the blood level is not treated. Other problem with Indocin is it is very caustic to stomach lining and repeated use can cause stomach ulcer and GI bleeds. Indocin is tradename, Indomethacin is generic name. http://www.goutpal.com/gout-treatment/gout-cure/indomethacin/indomethacin-side-effects/

Last edited:

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
So it still boils down to Allopurinol for long term treatment to actually control the uric acid level. It appears that Indocin and Colchicina serve the same purpose for the fast relief of pain with Colchicina having less severe side effects. Sounds like what I am doing now is still the least invasive of the two, Colchicina over Indocin.......

B in Santiago

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
But remember, you gotta take enough colchicine to give you nausea, vommiting or diarhea for it to have a high enough level to be effective for gout pain. After a couple of episodes you will know exactly how much to take and stop soon enough to minimize the GI effects. Colchicine's side-effects, though annoying and disgusting, are les dangerous than the risks with Indocin.