Top 10 Beach Destinations in Caribbean

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
These all look good but everyone takes the picture at the perfect moment.

Show us new stuff

The Negril Pic is older than Bob Marley himself.

Don't shoot the Sheriff It must have been the Deputy.

Sorry Rob

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
i'll keep this DR related. who did this survey, a blind man ? these must be based on popularity rather than the actual beach. the DR has so many beautiful scenic quiet beaches. you just have to know WHERE they are. i'd like to take him/her on a drive through the north coast, south coast and southwest and see if their opinion changes.

latitude19

May 29, 2011
Can't beat Exumas Out Islands, near Staniel Cay, Bahamas. Pick a small island, have it TOTALLY to yourself the ENTIRE day.

My favorite beach that I have been to up to this point is Playa Fronton (Samana) in DR. Isolated, with a one hour walk or boat ride to get there, SPECTACULAR cliffs, interesting rocks on the beach to collect, fish and tostones can be cooked for you while you snorkel. Snorkeling is good, altho be careful of tides there. Can see whales from shore when whales are around. A good climbing beach- have seen people rock climbing there.

Also hard to beat walking on Playa Cabarete. You can walk for about 4 miles uninterrupted.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I will place my Seal of Approval on these opinions regarding DR beaches....From the Morro in Montecristi around to the Bah?a de las ?guilas, there are so many great beaches here that no "Top 10" list can do them justice...

Once again it is just the money talking...

Tell me that La Ensenada at Punta Rucia is not to die for!.....

HB

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Playa Rincon should be on the list. It has been on other top ten lists before.

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
Often in lists like this there are certain criteria about accessability, and infrastructure near the beach that affects the ratings but without having a list it is difficult to judge the judges so to speak. This is sponsored by a travel site - of course they are going to push beaches/areas with more hotels that are easily accessable for a larger number of people compared to areas that would be difficult for them to make money from promoting. And if the beaches are chosen by the tourists then of course busier beaches have more people visit each year which means they have a much greater chance of having people vote for those beaches.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Makes sense but I for one would go to any length to avoid the touristy beaches at any price.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
I can tell you which is the ABSOLUTE BEST BEACH IN THE WORLD... BAR NONE. It's whatever one I have my fat behind parked on at the moment. LOL

OPPsss... that could sound egotistical... It's not good because I'm there... it's good TO ME because I'm there and not somewhere else.

Last edited:

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
The Southwest a great place to visit.

PJT would give Bahia de las Aguilas a high rank. If you like a remote place, pretty location, and tranquility, this is a top spot.

Amenities at the reception area: La Cueva Restaurant, good food at reasonable prices. Transportation to the beach by boat. It is a national park and the entry fee is RD$ 100 per person. Boat fee is about RD$ 800 pp.
You can get to the beach via 4x4. However, there is a part of the route that is a rock strewn steep incline. It is not for the timid driver. The boat ride to the beach is worth while as you enjoy the vista of the farallons. You schedule your time with the boat operator when to return to the reception area.

There is no hotels at the beach to overnight. Tenting is allowed for overnighting. There are hotels in Perdernales about 12 miles / 19 kilometers distant. There is a quaint restaurant in town, the "King Crab Restaurant", good quality food at very reasonable prices.

You should also include in your visit to this area, see and buy at the Haitian market, Mondays and Fridays, at the frontera in Perdernales, cross over the border and walk Lanse A Pitre; get a view of Hoyo de Pelempito, a natural depression in Parque Nacional Sierra de Bahoruco - opposit side of rt. 44 to the entrance to Cabo Rojo-Bahia de las Aguilas; see Lago de Oviedo, a salt water lake just off rt 44 in Oviedo.

This is great trip for a long weekend as there are various scenic stops, ie: Los Patos, Paraiso, on the route from Santo Domingo to the area. Two wheel drive will get you to the reception area at Bahia de las Aguila and Lago de Oviedo. 4x4 is a must from the visitor center at Hoyo de Pelempito to the overlook.

If you go enjoy your trip.

Regards,

PJT

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
hmmm...let?s see. all the beaches named in thse lists are developed areas, which are pretty high in the destination popularity pecking order. could it be that the magnificent, obsure beaches that posters allude to, have very little current commercial impact, and are of no interest to the people who publish these reviews? just a thought.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Sad thing that a majority of tourists never have the chance to see some of the most beautiful beaches outside of Punta Cana. Playa Rincon, Bahia de las Aguilas, Playa Fronton are amazing. Most of the travel guides, magazines etc.. always put the tourist type beaches on their list rather than the remote, locally known areas. I guess they figure your average tourist would not be interested.

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Sad thing that a majority of tourists never have the chance to see some of the most beautiful beaches outside of Punta Cana. Playa Rincon, Bahia de las Aguilas, Playa Fronton are amazing. Most of the travel guides, magazines etc.. always put the tourist type beaches on their list rather than the remote, locally known areas. I guess they figure your average tourist would not be interested.

I don't consider that a sad fact really. Your average tourist loves the best known area's and beaches. GREAT for me, I will visit the equally or even more beautiful beaches or area's without all the tourists.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
You have a good thought

hmmm...let?s see. all the beaches named in thse lists are developed areas, which are pretty high in the destination popularity pecking order. could it be that the magnificent, obsure beaches that posters allude to, have very little current commercial impact, and are of no interest to the people who publish these reviews? just a thought.

You have a good thought. One would have to agree with you.

What is happening is sort of a twist of the "Emperor's New Clothes" when reviewers (the tailors) set forth their opinions of grandeous beach destinations to attract interest to spark tourism to the locations. Of course, the local tourism bureaus (the emperor's subjects) and the commercial interests, are going maintain the desirability of the destinations to play along with the reviews. It takes the outsider (the child) of this ring of admiration to state, "wait a second", there are better places.

You sort of expect this type of impact as those who pay the reviewers on most occasions will not underwrite the costs of the opinion maker to visit an out-of-the-way location for an examination. Why you ask ? It is because the beaches with large commercial markets who underwrite the underwriters.

Regards,

PJT