Where to buy FISH Cabarete area??

latitude19

May 29, 2011
Hey, Have been here in Cabarete a little over 4 months, still do not know where to buy fresh fish. Have bought small reef fish from Dominican locals that were great, but am looking more for tuna, dorado, etc.,. Is there a person near Cabarete I can contact who reliably has fish?? Is there a fish market in Puerto Plata?? What about La Sirena in POP?? Have never been there- is there a good selection of fish there?? thanks, tom

ramy

Dec 16, 2007
there is a little fresh fish market or shop how ever you call it, about 100 meter from Janet's supermarket, on the same side of the street.

latitude19

May 29, 2011
Hey, Someone let me know where I can consistently catch 5# and over (good eating) fish near Cabarete (w/in 30 min) and I will be there as fast as my little jeepeta will take me. Would really like to catch fish to save money, and have 2 of my own poles, but do not know where to go.

Locals in front of the condo in Cab. go spearfishing, but they have years and years and years of practice. As I'm aware, they never seem to spear anything much bigger than .5 lb, altho on one occasion they brought back 3 nice sized pulpo (octopus)

is it easy to fish your own?
:)

Oct 11, 2010
Not in Cabarete but not too far, at the entrance to the beach in Los Charamicos (El Tabl?n), La Asociaci?n de Pescadores de Sos?a, usually fresh fish every day in the AM. If you want to catch dorado, wahoo, tuna, etc. you are going to need a boat.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Have not been there in a while but we used to have to drive down the road thru what was El Tablon all the way to the beach. One there we parked and walked over to the fishermens building and bought great fish direct from the fishermens assoc. Adding to what NY-DR Commuter said.

latitude19

May 29, 2011
Thanks IMMENSELY for the info!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Went this morning to buy fish. No reef fish because has been too rough to fish, however fresh frozen Dorado (Mahi-Mahi) plentiful at a GREAT price. I asked them if you could also go out fishing. The answer is yes, for about $125 for 4 hours. Very reasonable in my opinion. He said they go out about 12-15 miles.

You will know that you're on the right road in Los Charamicos if you are on about a 3/4 mile non-paved, bumpy road with cement blocks on either side going down to where they launch boats at the river mouth. There is also a sign for the Fishermans Assoc. at the entrance to this road.

Have not been there in a while but we used to have to drive down the road thru what was El Tablon all the way to the beach. One there we parked and walked over to the fishermens building and bought great fish direct from the fishermens assoc. Adding to what NY-DR Commuter said.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Hey, Someone let me know where I can consistently catch 5# and over (good eating) fish near Cabarete (w/in 30 min) and I will be there as fast as my little jeepeta will take me. Would really like to catch fish to save money, and have 2 of my own poles, but do not know where to go.

Locals in front of the condo in Cab. go spearfishing, but they have years and years and years of practice. As I'm aware, they never seem to spear anything much bigger than .5 lb, altho on one occasion they brought back 3 nice sized pulpo (octopus)
All that practice and they still bring in measley catches? Kinda tells you something.

The waters around the DR are badly overfished...

latitude19

May 29, 2011
Well, yes and no. Where we are the coral is all basically dead, so no cover, and also not much protection on the reef from large breakers. It is not an ideal fish habitat here. But then again, yes, I'm still surprised there aren't a few bigger fish. I have been snorkeling frequently and have NEVER seen anything bigger than .5lb.

On the other hand, local (Sosua/Puerto Plata area) boat fisherman do of course come in with nice reef fish, but I'm sure they have to travel some distance to get them.

I would have to agree that, like most other areas of the ocean, most of DR is highly overfished.

All that practice and they still bring in measley catches? Kinda tells you something.

The waters around the DR are badly overfished...

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
There is not much coral on the north coast. I have seen large (3 - 4 lb.) yellowtail snapper and small (juvenile) lobster on the reef just off Sosua bay. Since there is not much coral in the shallows it is easily over fished. I think its dying from the sewage pollution and warming of the ocean. It is nearly impossible to over fish pelagic (free swimming ocean species) with recreational fishing. It takes industrial efforts (longlines for one example). These pelagics come and go and do not stay in one spot like the reef fish. The Sosua fishermen work relatively small boats so I doubt that they go too far offshore or if so they are very careful, maybe go in pairs for safety. There is still a good fishery out there as evidenced by the nice fish the Sosua Co-op brings to market. Glad you found your sea food source. Keep your eyes out for yellofin tuna time. It is the filet mignon of the fish family. Eat one and you will never be able to look a canned tuna in the eye.

Oct 11, 2010
You would be surprised how far off these guys go in those small boats, ALONE!! I've seen them out over 10 miles plenty of times. And they usually target the pelagic species, they are doing great with the dolphin and wahoo right now.