Anyone know anything about Xenon lights?

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I've just bought a car (2001 Rav4) that has aftermarket Xenons fitted to it.

The dipped beams are normal halogen and the high beams are xenon.

The problem is the color temperature of the xenons. It's like a very bright green. Although bright, there is very little contrast in the dark and doesn't actually aide driving with them on.

I would like to lower the color temp down to 2700K which is more yellow. How do I do that? What determines the color temperature? Is it the bulb itself or the high voltage control unit?

beyondnyc

Feb 23, 2012
Everyone has it in their car here and blind the **** out of you when you are driving. Worse is when it rains. It is really bright then.

Liong

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Try an auto adorno place.... all the locals have those eyeball busters.
Somebody knows how to adjust them

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I've just bought a car (2001 Rav4) that has aftermarket Xenons fitted to it.

The dipped beams are normal halogen and the high beams are xenon.

The problem is the color temperature of the xenons. It's like a very bright green. Although bright, there is very little contrast in the dark and doesn't actually aide driving with them on.

I would like to lower the color temp down to 2700K which is more yellow. How do I do that? What determines the color temperature? Is it the bulb itself or the high voltage control unit?

You will have to change the bulbs to get the yellow color. People here think that other colors are cool, but you are correct that they are very bad for visibility.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
The reason I ask is that I had them retro-fitted to my Prado. I bought the kit off ebay and shipped it here. They worked really well and were the lowest color temp you can get for xenons, 2700K.

They were adjusted properly and didn't blind everybody and they illuminated the road really well.

However, one of the ballast units failed so I ordered another one. The replacement was a different manufacturer and it made that light a different color from the original, even though the bulbs were the same.

I just want to know my facts before I go to an auto adornos shop first.

kimbjorkland

Apr 6, 2011
Wow. Somebody took that comment a little personal. I guess you have xenon lights and like to blind everyone around you at night too. If ever there was a single object that demonstrates how selfish and insensitive Dominicans are, it's the Xenon lights.

"Who cares about how it affects everyone else, so long as I can see better"
"Who cares what it's doing to the economy or the poor people, so long as I can get my botella"

Pretty much the same thing!

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Wow. Somebody took that comment a little personal. I guess you have xenon lights and like to blind everyone around you at night too. If ever there was a single object that demonstrates how selfish and insensitive Dominicans are, it's the Xenon lights.

"Who cares what it's doing to the economy or the poor people, so long as I can get my botella"

I have very bright lights.

Bite me.

(BTW, the pure white light illuminate the best. I think the colors are for show...)

DipreSantana

Nov 29, 2009
Remove them, they are absolutely useless, go back to the regular halogen bulbs, believe me. First, the HID lights will throw light everywhere but where you need it, it will blind other drivers, it's a white almost blue light, which is terrible if it's foggy or raining, it could light your car on fire. I have some HIR headlights on my SUV, but I did properly retrofitted projectors into my headlights, it was extremely expensive, and an incredible amount of work. Unless you're using projectors, do not use HID lights.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

As usual you don't have a clue
Automotive Lighting: Live Saver Xenonlight - T?V Rheinland Survey

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"C'mon" Bob.
A "STUDY" by a company that sells a product,extolling the virtues of that product????
You buy a "Spin Doctor's Kit" from Pi$$Chardo"??????
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

DipreSantana

Nov 29, 2009

There is a huge difference between a car that comes with the hardware to use high intensity discharge lighting, and the kits that they sell for $40 dollars to put in a car with halogen reflectors. Which is why those kits are illegal in every developed country. It seems as if you're the one who doesn't have a clue.

There is a right way to add Xenon lamps to a car that didn't bring them, it's very expensive, I've done it, below are pictures.

This is a stock 2003 Xterra
$(KGrHqEOKjUE5,(mBp9oBO(Db+zP!Q~~_1.JPG

This is my Xterra with projectors out of an Audi, this convertion cost me about RD$14000 in parts and about a week of labor.
1tk50y.jpg

This is the difference between;

Xenon kits;
57760d1181626841-hid-glare-removal-mod-will-affect-lighting-mad_glare_disaster_hid_kit_in_halogen_housing_01.jpg

And a proper projector setup;
onex-hid-cutoff-line-step-6.jpg

Notice how one throws light everywhere and will blind an oncoming driver, and the other has a defined pattern and will not blind anyone.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
That's an impressive set up you have there DipreSantana. Are they self leveling too?

My Cayenne has them as standard and when you switch on the lights, they scan up and down then level off. They also go round corners too! When you turn the wheel, the light tracks the steering.

I think I'll put the halogens back in the Rav and ditch the xenon kit.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
q=http://www.danielsternlighting.com/images/BadBlueBulbs.pdf&sa=U&ei=iiRaT6qNGfSF0QHNlK29Dw&ved=0CBkQFjAB&usg=AFQjCNFJVGFiajzoIlHfUtz_9Ae66nSQ0Q
Aparently the Blue lights are not Xenon lights and the main issue is as DipreSantana state- improper set up/installation.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Wow, those are some nice lights. Only problem still left for me is that I really want to burn out the eyeballs of that insensitive jerk who tries to blind me. In a perfect world I would want the projector set up. In the DR I love my xenons. So far only three drivers have failed to dim when they get a load of my lights on high. They must have been blind drunk. So its not just about me seeing, its about payback. I am careful to never "high blind" anyone who does not do it to me first. I am very immature, but in a responsible way.

Randall Bell

Feb 17, 2012
Hi Guys,

Does anyone know if there's a place where I can get these lights set up in 4 different directions? Front, back, and both sides?

That way I can get my 'payback' for people that blind me, in multiple colors. lol

DipreSantana

Nov 29, 2009
That's an impressive set up you have there DipreSantana. Are they self leveling too?

My Cayenne has them as standard and when you switch on the lights, they scan up and down then level off. They also go round corners too! When you turn the wheel, the light tracks the steering.

I think I'll put the halogens back in the Rav and ditch the xenon kit.

I wish they were self leveling, I could have done it, but it would have doubled the price and quadrupled the amount of work.

You seem to have a lot of money, so why not just get some plug and play projectors? Here's the link to a kit.

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/product_info.php?products_id=227

Last edited:

DipreSantana

Nov 29, 2009
Wow, those are some nice lights. Only problem still left for me is that I really want to burn out the eyeballs of that insensitive jerk who tries to blind me. In a perfect world I would want the projector set up. In the DR I love my xenons. So far only three drivers have failed to dim when they get a load of my lights on high. They must have been blind drunk. So its not just about me seeing, its about payback. I am careful to never "high blind" anyone who does not do it to me first. I am very immature, but in a responsible way.
The problem is that you are blinding people, even when the lights are not on high, because the reflector is not made for the Xenon bulb, so it reflects the light incorrectly.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I have recently adopted the same strategery. I call it "Biblical."

Do unto others... ;)

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
In response to "blinding people".Its true that when first installed everyone blinked their hi beams at me, even when I was on lo beams. Soooooo, I lowered the low beams until they stopped dipping their lights (90 % as there are always babies who cannot take it). The high beams are still sufficiently blinding to get everyone but the really hard core drunks. In the DR you are either a victim or a victimizer when it comes to lights and driving at night. I like the latter. I know that if I drove in the states with this set up the first cop I high beamed would write me a ticket. Plus I am able to see the horses, cattle, and no lights motos now. Lastly its fun being "king of the night" and make driving at night slightly less insanely dangerous.