Diabetic/Diabetes Issue

caribeman

Dec 26, 2011
Enjoy meeting new people/cultures
Good Afternoon All,

I have seen a few things on here from those dealing with Diabetes. Need some help.

My Father is a 30 yr Diabetic on Novolog and Lantus and uses AccuCheck Aviva test equipment. It has been hell to pay to deal with US Vets Admin or through a pharmacy in US using Medicare to send anything. I need to know ideas where to go to get these and similiar supplies.

Been to all pharmacies in Gaspar. Spent a whole day at Puerto Plata at Centro Medico, 4 pharmacies and Diabetes Center.

Can anyone tell me about INDEN in Santo Domingo? Opinions. We go to the city 1x per month so.. it is an option.

Thanks much.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Do not know about the medecines, but I see the Accucheck all over the place in Sosua and Cabarete. I know for sure the Wecare pharmacies carry it. In Sosua, across from the main Orange office. In Cabarete next to the Banco Santa Cruz.

I only noticed because I used to sell them in Belgium.

HumbleHindu

Jan 14, 2010
I am getting Novomix here. Around 650 Pesos for a pen. I will check with my Pharmacist about the Novolog and Lantus. Accuchek is available all over.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
ok, lemme tell you something, sometimes in DR you have to give up and allow a certain flexibility when it comes to things you are used to. is cannot be that only one medicine in the world is suitable for a sick person and alternatives may always be sought and sometimes, unfortunately, seriously considered.
this is my general word of advice it terms of "i really cannot live without (...), can i get it in DR?"

having said that, accucheck is widely available in DR, both meter and strips. they ain't cheap, thou. so is novolog and so is lantus (including solostar). none is cheap, again. now, the level of how badly you are f***ed financially depends, of course, on how much medicine you need to receive every day and how many times you need to check the blood.
on a plus side insuline is covered by the insurance (dominican medical insurance, that is) but i am not sure it helps in this case.
when you come to POP go to any small pharmacy, do not bother with large ones. if they do not have your medicine ask if they can order it from a different pharmacy, they can do it no problem, providing you pay in cash. if they do have it, ask politely to give you a discount (10%, if paid cash), it ain't much but always something.

two of the best stocked farmacias in the city are popular (809-586-1515, calle beller, just down the street from the cathedral) and/or puente de la guinea (809-261-0878, calle camino real, one corner away from tienda jimenez, close to the little bridge).
when you come over better carry on of them dry ice packs or whatever they are called in order to keep your medicine fairly cold on the way home.

caribeman

Dec 26, 2011
Enjoy meeting new people/cultures
Thanks to all for replies. I went to the places mentioned.. along with a few others. My pops has I guess.. an older version of Accu Check - even in Santo Domingo no one had Aviva.. Just found test strips in Santiago. Yea!. For others reference I went to INDEN, Diabetic Hospital in S.D. and it was very good. I was pleased by the professional, kind and caring staff. Like a hospital was when i was a kid(not that old...) in the states... actually cared about the patient and their whole well being. I found Lantus Insulin at Farmaconal...and no one has NovoLog(rapid acting). He switched to Novolin - the more common here.
Thanks!