Buy a Dog Poison Kit- Be Prepared

latitude19

May 29, 2011
I learned a few days ago that in the Dominican Republic dogs are regularly poisoned to control their number. (My fiancee Rosa said that Salud Publica (Public Health) routinely poisoned dogs in the past, and probably still does.) I'm sure most foreigners here know that, but does everyone have a life saving poison kit at hand?? Some of the poisons kill in as little as 30 minutes, which makes having the poison close by a necessity. We bought one for a reasonable price from the vet DR Bob near Sosua, although you can get one I'm sure from any vet.

The kit, at least the one from DR Bob, treats a few different poisons including that of the Cane Toad, which emits a strong toxin. There is a 2 page sheet that accompanies the poison kit. It explains the symptoms of different types of poisons. Make sure to take that along.

If you pick up a poison kit at another vet they may not have the write-up DR Bob has, so here it is in summary:

Organophosphates: Pet will show trembling, vomiting, diarrhea, foaming at the mouth and muscle spasms. A strong poison, your pet can die in 30 minutes.

Warfarin: A slow poison, can take days to kill your pet. Stops blood from coagulating. Pet will get progressively more tired, very thirsty, cold ears, fast heartbeat and may bleed from the gums, urinate blood, or have blood on the skin.

Cane Toad: Merely touching this ugly toad will poison your dog. Your pets body temp can rise to 106 and his brain will start to die. Heart rate will go as high as 220 beats, your pet will get very quiet and usually will hide in a corner. There is not much time with this toxin. In addition to giving the poison kit, bathe your dog to cool him, but STOP bathing when breathing again becomes normal and not labored.

If your dog has not been poisoned and you use the kit it will do no harm. Remember also to keep several different emergency numbers of vets on your fridge. ----Please add with your suggestions to the post!!

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
There is a rat poision that they have here that is called "three steps" which means it will kill whatever eats it in short order.

I have 4 dogs and I have found the best thing is to not let them out of my yard and control them when they bark too much in the middle of the night.

latitude19

May 29, 2011
Hey, Yeah, that's the organophosphate, Chip. Tres Pasitos.

There is a rat poision that they have here that is called "three steps" which means it will kill whatever eats it in short order.

I have 4 dogs and I have found the best thing is to not let them out of my yard and control them when they bark too much in the middle of the night.

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
Thanks for the post. That is one of my biggest fears for my beloved dog. My wife and I had two but sadly we lost our lab in December. Anyone know if they have one of these kits in Santiago? I would hate to have to travel to Sosua.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
If your dog doesn't roam the streets nor bark all night for nothing you have nothing to worry about.

gringostudent

Jun 20, 2005
Warfarin antedote= vitamin k
organophosphates antidote= atropine
you can get both at farmacias, but dosage will be tricky, and vit k isnt very effective acutely. Fresh frozen plasma works right away but good luck on getting that for a dog
youd be surprised how much the people poison EACH OTHER in the DR, much less the dogs.
tif your dogs get poisioned in the DR you are very likely to be robbed soon.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Thanks for the post. That is one of my biggest fears for my beloved dog. My wife and I had two but sadly we lost our lab in December. Anyone know if they have one of these kits in Santiago? I would hate to have to travel to Sosua.
Like gringostudent said.

The ladrone in order to break-in and rob the house will sometimes poison the dogs in the yard by throwing them poison meat.

So even if your dog does not roam, it can still be poisoned here.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
If your dog doesn't roam the streets nor bark all night for nothing you have nothing to worry about.
Not true! My Perla ate some remnants of rat poison somebody threw over the wall at our former home (folks threw stuff over the wall all the time.) It wasn't intentional, as we found the plastic bag, the empty poison bag, receipts from the ferreteria and other trash in the bag. Besides, the dogs roam the yard together and Toby is The Man. Had it been a poisoned meat effort, he'd have eaten it first.

It's a miracle she's here today. The local vet performed pure heroics to save her with atropine, vitamin K and a ton of IV fluids. She was literally paralyzed and near death when we found her and took her into him. It took well over a week to recover, and the recovery was not all fun and games-at one point we asked to have her put down because of the excruciating pain-but she did recover.

She's sitting at my feet while I post this...

young seniors

Bronze
Feb 1, 2012
Not true! My Perla ate some remnants of rat poison somebody threw over the wall at our former home (folks threw stuff over the wall all the time.) It wasn't intentional, as we found the plastic bag, the empty poison bag, receipts from the ferreteria and other trash in the bag. Besides, the dogs roam the yard together and Toby is The Man. Had it been a poisoned meat effort, he'd have eaten it first.

It's a miracle she's here today. The local vet performed pure heroics to save her with atropine, vitamin K and a ton of IV fluids. She was literally paralyzed and near death when we found her and took her into him. It took well over a week to recover, and the recovery was not all fun and games-at one point we asked to have her put down because of the excruciating pain-but she did recover.

I am sooooooooooooooo much a dog lover, and tearing up over this. Glad she is fine.

Jul 4, 2010
Dominicans in general have an atavistic fear of dogs, maybe it's in the genes, since the Spaniards used dogs very effectively during the Conquest to terrorize the indian population. My daughter Angela's two dogs were poisoned with an organophosphorus compound, probably Tres Pasitos, however, the chemical substance is used extensively in agriculture. Ramfis, the rottweiler, died instantly. However, Sa?, the mutt, survived after Angela forced fed him massive amounts of cow milk. Sa? has survived two more attempts at poisoning, and Angela has saved him using the same protocol. Now Sa? has a second name, Mor? Viv?. I assume the milk provoked heavy gastric mucous which the dog proceded to vomit.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago

I'm sorry that happened but I expect this is not a normal event.

We have had dogs since we got here since 2006 and they bark a lot, are very small and sleep in the yard and eat anything they find on the ground, including crap and of course they have never been poisoned.

Jan 17, 2009
It depends where you are, Chip. A few years ago, there were a lot of dogs poisoned in the Cabarete area. Dr. Bob could not tell exactly what type of poison it was. Some claimed it was a spray. But many dogs were killed right inside their gated homes, and it was pretty much instant.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
all i have at home is injectable vitamin K. it should be administered IV but i guess IM will have to work and hopefully will give me enough time to get the dog to the vet.
in case of my rotties poisoning is not likely. i walk them every day but do not let them eat and lick anything off the ground. they also do not bark much and even then all neighbours are dog lovers and they do not mind (there are about 20 dogs on our street). but i guess one never knows. they are foolish enough to eat golf balls, let alone a piece a meat...

sabra

Jun 16, 2007
It depends where you are, Chip. A few years ago, there were a lot of dogs poisoned in the Cabarete area. Dr. Bob could not tell exactly what type of poison it was. Some claimed it was a spray. But many dogs were killed right inside their gated homes, and it was pretty much instant.

you mean this bad story? I am always hoping, that this will never happen again.

sabra

Jun 16, 2007
Unless someone is planning to break into your house. My bad, already are posts on that.

Yes, we all have to pay attention everytime for actions like that.
I am hopeful that nobody is interested to break in our small house - normally it is not very interesting for robbers,
we are doing a nice but simple way of life.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
A guy went around our neighbourhood several months ago and left poison on many street corners, in food. Most of the dogs around our campo estate run free during the day unless the owners are out. I found 3 dogs suffering in the space of a day and a couple of others were reported to my house for help. You can't afford or turn up at a vets with a load of dogs dying, it is simply not possible unless or realistic and so I was shown a mix by an old farmer (Ash (lots), mixed with a little rum, lemon, and sugar) , you can roll this into a paste kind of form and then force it down the dogs throat if they won't eat it while forcing it down wth water. Yes I too a few bad bites that day, but within 12-16 hours all the dogs were wanderng around and scrapping about for food outside the colmados, I think one died. Worked a treat.
I did find out who had done it, went to his house and he will not poison on that estate again, well, possibly now I'm not there anymore but he was 'made' to understand if he wants rid of the street dogs, then he must shoot them close up, not poison them like an evil git that he is! And be sure tht because a do os on the street does not make it a street dog, depending where you live it is normal for peoples dogs to be let out and go get on with life and come home after playing. Ours have always done this in Campo.