Dominican cooking

young seniors

Bronze
Feb 1, 2012

Considering I don`t want to starve when I come down, Im looking for all those `Chefs` to help me learn how to cook Dominican food. Of course, will eat out as well, but half of the fun for me will be learning how to prepare some wonderful dishes of the land. Soooooo, to all of you that profess to have the best recipes out there and how to prepare them, would love to hear from you.:)AND...........don`t forget the soups and desserts, lol

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
First step is to turn all the gas burners on high, then disconnect smoke alarms, next open all doors and windows for the smoke to exit.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Dominicn cooking is easy, boil rice being sure to seal with plastic bag for extra pollution effect. Buy a packet of seasoning from supermarket, add stock cube to meat bowl, chop up meat being sure to always leave the bones in and keep them as small as possible and disguised within an otherwise innocent looking chunk of meat (if the inlaws offer you a spoon rather than fork, this is a sure sign they are trying to keep the bones hidden from fork prongs which may alert you to them being there. Have the emergency dentist phone number for unsuspecting foreigners who aren't used to eating bones. Repeat using different meat types and colours of seasoning.

I must admit I love my wifes food, but that is as it has been adjusted for a happy medium so we can both eat each others food without making an excuse for not finishing. In the early years we ate out EVERY night bar none for 2 years, seriously!

Randall Bell

Feb 17, 2012
DR cooking is great, but if you're like me and like spicy food, don't expect any of it down here. This isn't Jamaica, and there's no 'jerk' cooking.

I find what works for me is a bottle of habanero tobasco sauce on the table. Adds an extra dimension to everything from rice+beans to chuleta de cerdo.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Yes, so true. I cook a great curry. My father in law eats anything. First time he ever turned down a meal, Chicken Tikka Masala. Gods gift to mans mouth! Rejected by a man that eats raw goat liver!

young seniors

Bronze
Feb 1, 2012
Dominicn cooking is easy, boil rice being sure to seal with plastic bag for extra pollution effect. Buy a packet of seasoning from supermarket, add stock cube to meat bowl, chop up meat being sure to always leave the bones in and keep them as small as possible and disguised within an otherwise innocent looking chunk of meat (if the inlaws offer you a spoon rather than fork, this is a sure sign they are trying to keep the bones hidden from fork prongs which may alert you to them being there. Have the emergency dentist phone number for unsuspecting foreigners who aren't used to eating bones. Repeat using different meat types and colours of seasoning.

I must admit I love my wifes food, but that is as it has been adjusted for a happy medium so we can both eat each others food without making an excuse for not finishing. In the early years we ate out EVERY night bar none for 2 years, seriously!

Toooooooooooooo funny

young seniors

Bronze
Feb 1, 2012
Yes, so true. I cook a great curry. My father in law eats anything. First time he ever turned down a meal, Chicken Tikka Masala. Gods gift to mans mouth! Rejected by a man that eats raw goat liver!

EEEWWWWW and i would love to have that great curry recipe of yours:)

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
On your first trip to the local "Colmado",buy 20 pounds of salt,20 pounds of sugar, 30 pounds of rice,40 pounds of dried red beans,50 pounds of salami,and all the rum and "Presidente" you can haul home.
If the two of you eat a typical Dominican diet,that should last you about a week!
The "Colmado" will send more salt,"Presidente",and rum, if you run out!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC