Question

paintedlbird7

Mar 8, 2012
Are all Dominican men who seek an online relationship Sankies?. I'm just wondering... How do you know if he's sincere & he isn't a Sankie?

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Are all Dominican men who seek an online relationship Sankies?. I'm just wondering... How do you know if he's sincere & he isn't a Sankie?

If you have to ask, you are not prepared to know; keep your head, heart and distance. Don't wonder, because Sankies do use online technology to charm you and are they are very sincere. Sankies have faith their targets have no [ fffnnnggg] common sense. Do not get caught up in this type of experience it leads to heartbreak and bankruptcy.

Regards,

PJT

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
The Dominican Republic is one of the top countries for visa fraud in the Western Hemisphere. Case in point-they are much stricter with fianc? visas than say, Colombia. So strict that one should not even bother applying for one.

I know someone who works at the Consulate in the DR. He told me 7 out of every 10 relationships that go to through the visa interview process are scams, even though some obviously manage to convince the interviewer and have all the requisite proof of the authenticity of the relationship.

There are the most blatant situations, like arranged marriages for money to get a person to the US, Canada or Western Europe. This involves family members from the West making payment to someone they know to get a relative over. You also have the opportunists who work in resorts and do online dating looking to catch a sucker, of which there are many. Then you have the most obvious one where a much older man marries a much younger Dominicana.

A foreigner with no knowledge of Dominican culture, no Spanish speaking skills, no authentic Dominican friends on the island who could steer him/her straight and who is desperate and lonely is a prime candidate. These people usually fall for the same gringo traps-they want to become part of a warm, caring family, they enjoy being treated like a king by their partner (usually for the first time in their lives) and they become convinced that this same treatment will continue once they are back home with their Dominican mates.

Dominicans have done this to themselves. They have made it almost impossible for decent, educated Dominicans to come over and live the American Dream. It never ceases to amaze me how many wonderful, smart and hard-working Dominicans cannot make it over the legal way, yet the tigeres/tigeritas seem to be able to pull a scam and leave no problem.

Last edited:

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Not all, only about 99%. Stay away from online dating in the DR. There are tons of live Dominican men who are dying to meet women who will help them escape this island. Come on down. If you must, use the net to practice your Spanish but do not meet these guys. Learn some Spanish first. Lived here a while and seen a lot of this sanky panky nonsense. It is so frequent that most mixed relationships are assumed to be Sanky Panky until proved otherwise with time.

paintedlbird7

Mar 8, 2012
What if I won't do marriage neither file for fiance visas.. Much less send him money (that I don't have). His mother in NYC is supposively doing his papers so I'm not going to.

Jeepito

Dec 22, 2011
My friend was working for his company in the DR, while there he met a nice Dominican lady who was working as his translator. One thing led to another he got her pregnant. Of course the honorable thing to do is marry her right? Well, he did; took her home to suburban Atlanta to live in his 4/3/3 dream house. It did not take her 3 months to move out and into the basement of her aunt in " nueva yolk" Because he refused to quit his job and move with her. Of course he didn't have a PRENUP, he's lucky he still has his job. Now that he's paying over a $1000.00 a month in child support, he lost the house, he's too embarassed to even tell me where he's living. Now she's probably a stripper somewhere, while his son sleeps with roaches in the basement.

I've read lots of stories on here that some of these relationships do work, I guess it's a crap shoot!

BabyBlu

Jan 20, 2004
If he sends you money for a ticket to visit him then he MIGHT ( I said might) be real...

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Oops ! Did not mean to dislike
Although I highly doubt she is a striper living in a basement.

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
What if I won't do marriage neither file for fiance visas.. Much less send him money (that I don't have). His mother in NYC is supposively doing his papers so I'm not going to.

But what CAN he do for you? Somehow your relationship won't be better or more real by his accepting the things you won't do for him. If he had an education, opportunity, or a future he wouldn't be online with foreigners.

Family can wait years, always is good to have plan b,c,d,e. You have no way to know which one you are.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
I would not believe for a second that his mother is supposedly doing his papers, that's just his way of reeling you in and have you believe he doesn't need you for a visa.

paintedlbird7

Mar 8, 2012
he doesn't seem to be very sly... Maybe he is ... he is a quiete serio type..
I have second thoughts now about going to visit him, I'll tell him I'll wait till he can pay for my ticket or at least half of it.

Thanks for all the replies.

BabyBlu

Jan 20, 2004
The quiet serious types are the ones you need to look out for the most! They are The worst!

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Just have a girlfriend that has nothing to do with you "find" him online and contact him. It will take five minutes and you will know this is a waste of time and money.

Randall Bell

Feb 17, 2012
Just have a girlfriend that has nothing to do with you "find" him online and contact him. It will take five minutes and you will know this is a waste of time and money.

That's honestly brilliant! lol. I have to use that on some of my prospects. haha.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
If his mom is doing his papers maybe just wait until he comes to the US and then find out what he is like. If you decide to come to here to the Dominican Republic to visit him then I would get your own hotel room and then see him casually. Maybe lunch or have him show you around during the day. Get to know him like that. Do not depend on him for anything while your here. Personally I would not have him pay my ticket, if you are really that interested come here on your own terms, see the country, get a idea for the culture, get to know him as a friend. Otherwise wait until he has his papers.

paintedlbird7

Mar 8, 2012
How long does it take to get papers done by the mother (who lives in NY)? He says he doesn't know & they are waiting for response from the abogada.