Musty Closets ??

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I have solved the closet problem with a solar powered attic exhaust fan.

Works like a dream when the sun shines.

Four screws to mount the fan, the wire goes outside attaching to the supplied small solar panel which we stuck on the tile roof with silicon.

Available on Amazon and E-Bay.

Randall Bell

Feb 17, 2012
Do you drink a lot of coffee? I made a little 'canal' around the edges of my closet near the ground and near the top. Every week I keep all my used coffee and put it on a paper towel in the sun, then when it's dry again, I throw it in my little canal in the closet. I've taught my maid to do it now. Once a week she changes the coffee.

The closet smells like a fresh starbucks, as all the coffee soaks up the humidity and would be mold etc.

Adjust volume of coffee for size of closet. But if you're finding yourself drinking more coffee to dry your closet, then yah, go with your solution lol

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Creative..... tough to maintain when not in residence.... but creative.

Would old cigarette filters do the same thing??

Just kidding... kidding..... hahahaha... a joke!!:speechles

Seriously, our grinds go to the compost.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i bought in price smart a box of those little sheets you put in a drier, whatever they are called. 250 sheets for about 400 pesos. i use them not only in a drier but also put them in all our closets, between bedding, towels, clothes. works very well and gives fresh nice smell. lasts a while too. good investment, in general.
another idea is what my mum does: she dries orange peel and then puts it in pockets of coats and jacketsand leaves it in the back of the closet. not only it smells nice but also keeps moths away!

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
I have solved the closet problem with a solar powered attic exhaust fan.

Works like a dream when the sun shines.

Four screws to mount the fan, the wire goes outside attaching to the supplied small solar panel which we stuck on the tile roof with silicon.

Available on Amazon and E-Bay.

Oh no, I see another Pi emerging.... solar powered fans.... :bunny:

When we had our mobilhome for travelling with the dogs, we used something like this... and it worked fine...

http://http://www.amazon.com/Dry-Packs-Indicating-Moisture-Absorbing-Recloseable/dp/B001UYEBNW/ref=sr_1_3?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1331409096&sr=1-3

Worked fine... then again, we did not have a lot of sun in Belgium... lol

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Water absorbing crystals do the trick also. Odorless, change color when saturated and can be used again and again.
ow, mi esposo had the same idea to post here haha

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Thank you Peter, likening me to Yapadu/PiMan

Truly, this is for when we are not here.... a better alternative than having the ropas hung out to air every few days.

Already, we notice a difference but the real test will come in the summer.

DV8, I love the dried orange peel idea - for north America, not here so much.
Better than moth balls - they make feel older than I want to feel...:ermm:
Like putting your teeth in a glass at night

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
Water absorbing crystals do the trick also. Odorless, change color when saturated and can be used again and again.
ow, mi esposo had the same idea to post here haha

What are water absorbing crystals and how do you use them again and again?

Yachtmaster

Jul 2, 2007
www.genesisbvi.com
What are water absorbing crystals and how do you use them again and again?
The water absorbing crystals mentioned are in fact a desiccant developed by NASA during the Apollo Space Program. The correct word is adsorbing, not absorbing (note the "d" instead of a "b") . Desiccant "adsorbs" moisture as opposed to absorbing it. During adsorption, water molecules bond to the molecules of the desiccant, which prevents the water from evaporating. During absorption, by comparison, water molecules are held in suspension without being chemically changed, which means water can evaporate out of an absorbent material (as with a sponge). In the case of desiccant and adsorption, heat is required to force the water out............. whew......That was a mouthful!!

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
I use this stuff:

Amazon.com: Damp Rid Damp Rid 7 oz. Hang Mois Absrbr (3-Pack): Health & Personal Care

Along with the bucket version. Actually I use a local generic brand that is the same stuff. One type holds the moisture in some kind of crystal or gel. The other (bucket type) pulls the moisture from the air into / through a bed of crystals, and it drips through as a liquid which is held in the base.

I put 3 or 4 in my walk in closet where all the linens are stored and clothing is left when away. Can't find the really big size yet. That would be better.

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
I use this stuff:

Along with the bucket version. Actually I use a local generic brand that is the same stuff. One type holds the moisture in some kind of crystal or gel. The other (bucket type) pulls the moisture from the air into / through a bed of crystals, and it drips through as a liquid which is held in the base.

I've been using Damp Rid too. In the states have gone to Starbucks for used coffee grounds which they give free and put them in the basement in coffee cans for dampness. I would be interested in knowing the local generic brand of Damp Rid you are getting here.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
I can't think of the local brand name, but I got them in Ferreteria Americana in Friusa. I'll check the exact name when I'm there in a couple of weeks.

I've used the big size Damp Rid in my boat for off season storage and during the season. Lasts a long time.