Lambi

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Anybody got that lambi recipe you get often at the beach?

Seems simple enough - butter , garlic, onions, etc and not too long for the conch.
How long is not too long?

Ms Kaufman, are you there? Calling Ms Kaufman.....:bunny:

Aug 21, 2007
Sorry, WW, can't help you this time. My cooking specialties do not include seafood or fish. Google could be your friend on this one. But, I bet if we are patient, someone will come forward with the recipe.

Good luck!

Lindsey

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Island Recipes: Conch | Islands.com

I also found a fritter recipe.
My amiga does a very good one.... I want to try the beach shack one.

Trick seems to be to pound it into submission and then very lttle heat.

Remember the "beat your meat" thread.... poor fellow didn't have the mallet ----- I DO !!!!
Always can use the bottom a frying pan too.:squareeye

Thanks for answering .................... Bill

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
I think WW is looking for the one with the kind of tomato sauce???

BelgianK

That would be Lambi Guisado o Lambi Crillo. I believe he's looking for Lambi al Ajillo, which is like a scampi, but simpler...just conch, olive oil, crushed garlic, salt...and maybe white pepper and a little parsley...

But the one the vendors on the beach sell is Lambi Vinaigrette(or Pulpo or Calamari). There's a good recipe for that in the Islands.com link above...

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I make lambi all the time, here and at home, but guisado [tomato sauce]. If you want that recipe let me know. It doesn't sound like that's the one you want - no butter in mine!

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
That would be Lambi Guisado o Lambi Crillo. I believe he's looking for Lambi al Ajillo, which is like a scampi, but simpler...just conch, olive oil, crushed garlic, salt...and maybe white pepper and a little parsley...

But the one the vendors on the beach sell is Lambi Vinaigrette(or Pulpo or Calamari). There's a good recipe for that in the Islands.com link above...

Ah ok, the ones I got at the beach apparently were the lambi criolla... Mind you, very nice and tasty...

BelgianK

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009

You're right DZ, the Ajillo and the vinaigrette , and yes, I found enough to figure it out.

My question really was about how long to cook it before turning it too tough.

Alot of the recipes suggest using the food processor to chop into such small pieces that the toughness can't get there -- or pounding the hell out of it.

I think I may just wander to the beach and ask the experts "Cuanto Tiempo"... that might do the trick.

I shall report back !!

BK & AE.... I'm not too fond of the tomato based recipe for seafood. I prefer clams in white sauce vs red, for instance.
Same for pulpo/calamari/lambi.

Thanks again

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
Ah ok, the ones I got at the beach apparently were the lambi criolla... Mind you, very nice and tasty...

BelgianK

It is not responsible to eat this species in the DR - it is not sustainable. Trade in the queen conch shells is limited by convention.

International trade in queen conch is regulated under the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES) agreement, in which it is listed as Strombus gigas. This species is not yet truly endangered in the Caribbean as a whole, but it is commercially threatened in numerous areas, largely due to extreme overfishing; the meat is an important food source for humans. The CITES regulations are designed to monitor and control the commercial export of the meat of this species as well as the shells (often sold to be used as decorative objects). Both of these trades were previously so prevalent that they represented serious threats to the survival of the species. However, the CITES Convention does not monitor or regulate any domestic use
Lobatus gigas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Queen Conch is illegally expeorted from DR - do not support conch fisherman!

Of the 28 queen conch range countries, the Dominican Republic and Honduras were the largest exporters of queen conch; the Significant Trade Review identified them as two of the three countries of "urgent concern" (the other was Haiti). There were 13 countries listed of "possible concern," and the remaining 12 countries included in the review were determined to be "not of concern." The Significant Trade review recommended against accepting imports from the three countries of "urgent concern" until they were found to be in full compliance with CITES. Honduras eventually set a quota for exports and was found to be in compliance with the CITES Significant Trade recommendations. The Dominican Republic decided to suspend international trade until research activities and an updated fisheries management plan are completed. Other countries in the region have taken considerable steps to ensure that harvest and export of queen conch are sustainable. The queen conch?s Appendix-II listing has provided motivation and resources for local and regional efforts towards sustainable trade of the species.

Endangered Species Program | News | Bulletins | Summer 2009

pi2

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
It is not responsible to eat this species in the DR - it is not sustainable. Trade in the queen conch shells is limited by convention.

Why don't you see if your head fits in a conch shell.

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
I am all for famed fish/conch ; interesting information; thanks. Mollusks have good food conversion properties. Also healthy: scallops for example:
WHFoods: Scallops

pi2

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
[video=youtube;H-IUE0idp7k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-IUE0idp7k&feature=related[/video]

pi2

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Island Recipes: Conch | Islands.com

I also found a fritter recipe.
My amiga does a very good one.... I want to try the beach shack one.

Trick seems to be to pound it into submission and then very lttle heat.

Remember the "beat your meat" thread.... poor fellow didn't have the mallet ----- I DO !!!!
Always can use the bottom a frying pan too.:squareeye

Thanks for answering .................... Bill

I am late to the party and I have a new mallet to tenderize conch and for fritters I will wing the recipe so try this.

You want a beer batter with self rising flour, seasoned of course.

A fine dice for all of the following is necessary.

Equal amonts of :

Conch
green pepper
red pepper
orange pepper
onions
garlic
sea salt and fresh cracked pepper ( for everything )

Incorporate into beer batter and form a quenelle and deep fry and this is served best with a horesradish / saffron mayonaise
or cocktail sauce if your from ???

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009

International trade in queen conch is regulated under the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES) agreement, in which it is listed as Strombus gigas. This species is not yet truly endangered in the Caribbean as a whole, but it is commercially threatened in numerous areas, largely due to extreme overfishing; the meat is an important food source for humans. The CITES regulations are designed to monitor and control the commercial export of the meat of this species as well as the shells (often sold to be used as decorative objects). Both of these trades were previously so prevalent that they represented serious threats to the survival of the species. However, the CITES Convention does not monitor or regulate any domestic use
Lobatus gigas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Queen Conch is illegally expeorted from DR - do not support conch fisherman!

Of the 28 queen conch range countries, the Dominican Republic and Honduras were the largest exporters of queen conch; the Significant Trade Review identified them as two of the three countries of "urgent concern" (the other was Haiti). There were 13 countries listed of "possible concern," and the remaining 12 countries included in the review were determined to be "not of concern." The Significant Trade review recommended against accepting imports from the three countries of "urgent concern" until they were found to be in full compliance with CITES. Honduras eventually set a quota for exports and was found to be in compliance with the CITES Significant Trade recommendations. The Dominican Republic decided to suspend international trade until research activities and an updated fisheries management plan are completed. Other countries in the region have taken considerable steps to ensure that harvest and export of queen conch are sustainable. The queen conch?s Appendix-II listing has provided motivation and resources for local and regional efforts towards sustainable trade of the species.

Endangered Species Program | News | Bulletins | Summer 2009

pi2

I actually meant the recipe, which they use for lambi, shrimp, langostino...

Hey, probably a good idea for seaweed as well....

BelgianK