Power Outage - North coast

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Hi
Anybody know the reason for the current power outage? It seem to be widespread including Sosua and Perla Marina. Been off since about 8;00 pm

Olly

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Only 1hour 45mins?

Sounds not too bad to me. Consider yourself lucky.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
I only made that 45 mins from 8 pm until the OP's post!!!!

Been off here since 2 pm and was due back on at 7 pm and still waiting..... the little man that flips the switches at Edenorte must have heard me as luz has just come on as I type :)

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Power went off in Sosua before 8 PM. It also is off in Cabarete where I am. Edenorte has had many calls and is working on it.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
That must be "Fuzzy Bush math" CB.....

It was only 45 minutes at the time you posted.
True. My computer (source of the time) went to DST, and we don't need no stinkin' DST. It was 45 mins. Mea culpa...

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I love DR1,people asking questions about "Why is there no electricity in?????????????????",as if there is a "Reason".
We live in the DR for "Christ's Sake"!
The electricity goes off all the time here.THERE,is your "reason"!
You want "electricity"?
GO SOMEWHERE ELSE.
CCCCCCCCCCCCC

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Thank for the replies - learnt yesterday that it was a big power surge that took out a lot of invertors, other stuff around the area. CC - thanks for the comment about electricity - we too have all the back up and protection but this one was an unually violent surge/outage which is why I was interested if anyone knew a cause.
At that time there was quite a large magnetic disturbance from the sun but it is hard to believe it had an effect this far south.

As you say CC - is there a reason????
Thanks all

Olly and the team.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Thank for the replies - learnt yesterday that it was a big power surge that took out a lot of invertors, other stuff around the area. CC - thanks for the comment about electricity - we too have all the back up and protection but this one was an unually violent surge/outage which is why I was interested if anyone knew a cause.
At that time there was quite a large magnetic disturbance from the sun but it is hard to believe it had an effect this far south.

As you say CC - is there a reason????
Thanks all

Olly and the team.

If the the surge was caused by the solar flares, the relatively minuscule distance between the north and south poles of the earth and the distance the sun is from the earth should have little effect on how much the disturbance affected the power grid unless the ionosphere offers greater protection in the DR than elsewhere.

I had not heard of the blown up inverter issues. I suspect this was locally caused problem. Do you know what circuit this happened on? If you know the locations of the blown up inverters you can check here:

Portal de Circuitos - CDEEE