Ha! I got shafted!

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Yeah, they sure got me good this time! But it wasn't here!
I thought I'd be smart (a good start to get shafted) and I'd buy two complete sets of Rosetta Stone's "American English" 1 thru 5 for the kids and my GF off e-bay.
Well, even thou I have successfully done many transactions on e-bay, I did not know that Rosetta Stone does not allow the sale or even re-sale of their courses other than by their authorized re-sellers, which can issue the much needed activation codes.
So, I got me two brand spankin' new (sealed) sets for about half the price than the MSRP.
Got them down here and handed them out proudly. I installed Melany's and "whooops"... can't get beyond the "demo" even I have a truck load of disks, without the activation code which did NOT come inclosed.

I contacted Rosetta Stone and all they can say is, that it was a license violation for the seller to sell them and thus I can "fogitaboutit"... no activation for me, Melany or even my GF (even thou she's real purdy!). Ha!

So, I file a claim with e-bay and PayPal.
The seller remains silent (he knows and is probably still rolling all over the floor of the computer room he peddles his garbage from LAUGHING).
So, e-bay now wants me to send one of the sets back!
Yeah well "whuepah"! I'm in Puerto Plata!

Now that I amused you all, my question?
E-bay sent me a prepaid return label... but for shipping from the US.
Anybody flying back from POP this week willing to take the darn thing along and post it?

Thanks! ... J-D
829-221-0286

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
if u filed a complaint with paypal... they should take care of it... they will freeze the account of the seller, and if he cannot prove he sold you a solid product, they will repay you.

so file a complaint with paypal

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
if u filed a complaint with paypal... they should take care of it... they will freeze the account of the seller, and if he cannot prove he sold you a solid product, they will repay you.

so file a complaint with paypal

You my friend need a larger screen! So the whole text fits.
:D
... J-D.

yada yada yada...

So, I file a claim with e-bay and PayPal.
The seller remains silent (he knows and is probably still rolling all over the floor of the computer room he peddles his garbage from LAUGHING).
So, e-bay now wants me to send one of the sets back!
Yeah well "whuepah"! I'm in Puerto Plata!

Now that I amused you all, my question?
E-bay sent me a prepaid return label... but for shipping from the US.
Anybody flying back from POP this week willing to take the darn thing along and post it?

Thanks! ... J-D
829-221-0286

... J-D.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
can't get beyond the "demo" even I have a truck load of disks, without the activation code which did NOT come inclosed.

I'm very surprised that an activation code was not included in the sealed boxes.
Sounds like a deliberate ploy by Rosette Stone, one to punish an unsuspecting purchaser.

Somehow, I just know Pichardo is gonna get blamed for this....

According to his shadow,
.... he's not that cold a person,
......... he's in Frostproof!

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
I'm very surprised that an activation code was not included in the sealed boxes.
Sounds like a deliberate ploy by Rosette Stone, one to punish an unsuspecting purchaser.

HUH? That doesn't even make sense. How on earth is this a "ploy by Rosette Stone"? They had absolutely nothing to do with the transaction.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
That's why I'm careful with online purchases sent here. It is an expensive pain to return anything unless a friend is going back to the states...

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I know there were some recent posts about sending items to the states inexpensively using INPOSDOM from the DR to the US. That seemed to work well for the people who did it.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I know there were some recent posts about sending items to the states inexpensively using INPOSDOM from the DR to the US. That seemed to work well for the people who did it.
I've used it for items I'm not concerned about losing (like coffee samples.) But I'm highly skeptical about gubmint thieves. And historically, that's the [problem with INPOSDOM.

Let's hope it changes...

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
HUH? That doesn't even make sense. How on earth is this a "ploy by Rosette Stone"? They had absolutely nothing to do with the transaction.

THEY manufactured and sold the PACKAGE............ to SOMEONE, SOME WHERE!

They MADE their money on the product.

THINK outside the BOX!

Software I have purchased in the past has always contained the activation code with the purchase, a license included INSIDE the box....

By not including an activation code, the "purchaser" is being punished for something he bought legitimately.

How was the consumer to know Rosetta Stone's rules prior to purchase?

Do you go to the manufacturer's site for every piece of software you buy to make sure you have the right to activate before you purchase it? A sealed package should be valid for activation, some packages even warn you that once you open the package, it's yours.

The packages were evidently genuine, so why is the consumer punished by Rosetta Stone?

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008

THINK outside the BOX!

Software I have purchased in the past has always contained the activation code with the purchase, a license included INSIDE the box....

By not including an activation code, the "purchaser" is being punished for something he bought legitimately.

Do you go to the manufacturer's site for every piece of software you buy to make sure you have the right to activate before you purchase it? A sealed package should be valid for activation, some packages even warn you that once you open the package, it's yours.

The packages were evidently genuine, so why is the consumer punished by Rosetta Stone?

I think you should THINK INSIDE THE BOX!

Let's turn this around. Imagine you are a software developer. You work your ass off on a software program that you resell through authorized resellers. Someone sends you an email telling you they bought the software from an unauthorized source on eBay and are demanding an activation code. You have no idea what the true origin of the software is. Are you just going to give away a license? You didn't receive a dime in this transaction! I suspect you've never been in business for yourself. What happens when 100 people send you emails asking for activation codes?

Rosetta Stone has no obligation (and I would find them foolish) to give an activation code to someone who presumably has an authorized copy of their software.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004

THINK outside the BOX!

I suspect the seller repackaged it and misrepresented what it was. Or HE bought it repackaged and was unaware.

JD, were they sold new or used?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
This sounds likke an honest mistake on JD's part - he was just a pidgeon.

The real question is whether the actual sale was legit - bona fide product.

appears from Ms Rosetta's answer that 'No' is the answer to tha

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i do not want to throw a spanner into the working gears of male mind but... we often buy in the states and ship to EPS box in miami (then to DR). few times the product arrived damaged or broken. each time we filed a complaint with paypal, explained kindly we are, in fact, located in DR and send the product back. never a problem.
maybe, you know, you could do the same? i do not know whether sending it back actually does pay off but you may try.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
I agree. And even Rosetta Stone seems to agree when they say:
... It is unfortunate when potential customers unknowingly purchase products and the license has been compromised.

Basically it's like buying "stolen" property, even thou you paid in good faith, you never can become the legal owner.

My guess is, that they don't consider it a "software" like a game or a program, but LESSONS. In other words they sell someone "session" and that that can't be re-sold.

Thus:

... your product was resold in violation of the license agreement, we will not be able to provide you with a new Activation ID.
and
... since your product was resold in violation of the license agreement, we will not be able to provide you with a new Activation ID.

The issue, in my opinion is, that as they (RS) well concedes, consumer may buy their products from a non-authorized re-seller UNKNOWINGLY. And certainly are NOT bound by the license agreement until they instal the program and click "agree".

"We" used to have a long debate at the SteelGuitarForum.com years ago about users re-selling their used teaching material, like educational videos on how to play the darn instrument without making it sound like your kicking a box filled with cats down the street. Some who lived of making these courses, argued that these are not just "books" of "videos" (like in "entertainment" videos) but indeed COURSES, like they'd be giving one-on-one sessions but by distance.
While I think, it would be a difficult case to make legally, I do understand their thinking behind it.

... J-D.

THINK outside the BOX!

Last edited:

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Did you just call me "Gringo Palomo" there? :D :D :D

... J-D.

I had to look it up - paloma.

Yes, you are - an innocent bystander hit by a passing truck.
No harm intended to you - sorry .

They should refund your $$ and slam the seller.......... IMO, for what its worth

My friends all by Ms Stone's product, study it for the alotted 6 months and return it as unsatisfactory before the end of the trial period.
I'm not endorsing that, just saying