High speed (10 Mbps) fixed internet from Claro without phone line?

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
Anyone have any experience with the high speed service that Claro purportedly offers without having to have a phone line? They advertise up to 10 Mbps so I highly doubt it's wireless. Does this just mean you still have to have a phone line to the house/condo but don't have to have active phone service? I ask because I would really like to have faster service than the 1.7 Mbps I get from Tricom WiMAX but my condo complex doesn't have phone lines connected to it. (As an aside, do any new developments have phone lines?)

Are there any non-3G options besides Tricom WiMAX for wireless service? I would really like super fast internet (I'm willing to pay the crazy rates) but I'm suspecting my options are less than optimal. I'm in Bavaro.

wICTJ.png

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
Anyone have any experience with the high speed service that Claro purportedly offers without having to have a phone line? They advertise up to 10 Mbps so I highly doubt it's wireless. Does this just mean you still have to have a phone line to the house/condo but don't have to have active phone service? I ask because I would really like to have faster service than the 1.7 Mbps I get from Tricom WiMAX but my condo complex doesn't have phone lines connected to it. (As an aside, do any new developments have phone lines?)

Are there any non-3G options besides Tricom WiMAX for wireless service? I would really like super fast internet (I'm willing to pay the crazy rates) but I'm suspecting my options are less than optimal. I'm in Bavaro.

wICTJ.png

It isn't wireless, its basically DSL and yes you need a phone line as far as I know.

If anyone has this service I would love to see a speedtest.

Feb 7, 2007
Yes you can have a DSL service from Codetel without having a "phone line" but you still need a physical phone line. It's called naked DSL. You will get assigned a phone # same as for a regular line but you will not be able to receive/make calls (similar as with Banda Ancha 3G service, you get GSM phone # but cannot receive calls on it). I got one in La Romana. The downside of naked DSL is that when your service goes down you do not know whether it's the "line" (you have no dialtone to check) or the "network" (e.g. DSLAM, port, etc.).

mikol

Jul 1, 2010
You're better off getting their cheapest telephone service anyways. Naked DSL has a premium.

I'm sure your complex either has cable or telephone line.