Living without a car in Santo Domingo

carlosbra

Aug 1, 2011
Hi All,

I lived 8 year in Europe without a car. I prefer to use bike or walking or even taxi or public transport.

Is possible to live with no car in Santo Domingo ?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
What part of Santo Domingo are you planning to live in?

Plenty of public transport, taxis, metro etc. You don't see so many push bikes, can be a little dangerous with the local drivers :)

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
Of course you can live without a car - now whether or not this represents a serious part of your budget or not depends primarily on two factors:
1. where you live in relation to shops/entertainment/work
2. your lifestyle and how much you travel around the city each day on average

If you are a stay at home/work only type then not much money to get transport around. If you don't have a car find a taxi whose car and driving skills you like - get his personal mobile number and then you are all set.

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
have lived in SD for many,many years without car.I walk,and use publicos most of the time.If I do need a cab,I call Apolo or Aero...you can go to about any part of city for 200 pesos or less....mostly less.I live in Zona Colonial,but walk or publico to the Churchill area for shopping very often....usually walk there and take cab back with groceries,etc...Of course,there is about everythig I need close by my apt here in Zona Colonial...I also have a house in Samana,and take Guagua from SD to there for 350.pesos...drops me off in front of my house in El Limon.3 hours or less.
bob

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I was committed to car-free living until I moved to Santo Domingo from Europe. I caved in and bought my first car at the age of 36.

It's not impossible though - especially if you're a single male without children. There are areas of the capital where it's easier to live without a car in terms of being within walking distance of main amenities and carro routes.

I would say: Zona Colonial/Ciudad Nueva, Gazcue and Zona Universitaria, Mirador Sur and Bella Vista. Maybe Naco/Piantini and surrounding areas like Julieta, Evaristo Morales.

Cycling - some people do it, but I wouldn't rate their life expectancy.