what do i need to secure electric?

crille30

Dec 13, 2011
Hi all
Soon moving to DR but worry about electric.If i rent a condo/apartment many of them have generators
but i think can be a problem to get in my own internetline in,most of them have wi-fi but problery not good enough for me so I looking to rent a house and get 2 internetlines.My question is what I need to buy to secure
electric so I can keep on working?A generator?That is big money?I will live in Sosua.Any advice,ideas please let me know.Fellow online workers or any one how are you dealing with this?Any tips for good condo/apartment would be great or house area.
Thanks
criss

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
You can check the area you want to live in on line to see how much power Edenorte gives them at:

Portal de Circuitos - CDEEE

Then, depending upon your total power requirements you can decide if you need a battery/inverter systems and/or a generator for back up.

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
Hi allSoon moving to DR but worry about electric.If i rent a condo/apartment many of them have generatorsbut i think can be a problem to get in my own internetline in,most of them have wi-fi but problery not good enough for me so I looking to rent a house and get 2 internetlines.My question is what I need to buy to secureelectric so I can keep on working?A generator?That is big money?I will live in Sosua.Any advice,ideas please let me know.Fellow online workers or any one how are you dealing with this?Any tips for good condo/apartment would be great or house area.Thankscriss
Cheapest would possibly be:100 - 200 watt inverter - $50 This would power ASDL and laptop, desklight LED type, fan.Battery charger - $50 Battery car, or more expensive but longer lasting 2 6 volt deep discharge types. This would see you running and working through 12 hour or more blackout.Keep batteries fully charged and once a month partially discharge to test.I worked with this for 3 years but now have gone solar. An ASDL phoneline or mobile internet if you cant rely on power to the block WIFI.
pi2

crille30

Dec 13, 2011
Cheapest would possibly be:100 - 200 watt inverter - $50 This would power ASDL and laptop, desklight LED type, fan.Battery charger - $50 Battery car, or more expensive but longer lasting 2 6 volt deep discharge types. This would see you running and working through 12 hour or more blackout.Keep batteries fully charged and once a month partially discharge to test.I worked with this for 3 years but now have gone solar. An ASDL phoneline or mobile internet if you cant rely on power to the block WIFI.
pi2

Thank so very much, it whas cheap?well Im happy if I can set up below 1k so this is great news.That mean I can buy more beers for you guys that take the time to help me .Thank you very very much all,packing my bags haha

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
You can use Amazon to order the battery charger and inverter. They can be delivered to a Miami location and forwared by CPS.
The batteries are obtainable locally about 5 - 8000 pesos for two. A car battery will be cheaper.
If the Wi-fi at your location is not battery backed up you will need a telephone line / ASDL from Claro ( was Codeltel) If you are not internet intensive then 3G dongle is possible but there are limits on capacity.
A full ASDL line with TV will run to approx $40 a month.
I have found ASDL/Claro internet via tel line 99.9% relieable. The ASDL box needs running from your emergency power.

Total cost should be less than $500 plus whatever Claro require as deposit - I think 1000 pesos.

Hope this helps. Your could bring charger & inverter with you - charger 3 lbs, inverter 3 lbs.

This is based on laptop working under no-power situations - but laptops are powerful nowdays and have built in 4 hour batteries.

The routine is always ensure batteries are nearly fully charged and partially discharge every month or so

pi2

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Many parts of the wonderful town of Sosua have nearly 24/7 electricity which means for the DR, most of the time. Check ahead before you rent. The fuel to run a generator makes that electricity very expensive usnless shared by a lot of people. Some developers have found a new way to make $ by installing two meters on the houses. One meter is Eden Norte (public system) and the other is for their own diesel generator supplied electricity. Guess which costs more!! Plus the cost of the public electricty is already very high so you can imagine what the "developer" charges for his generator.

crille30

Dec 13, 2011
You can use Amazon to order the battery charger and inverter. They can be delivered to a Miami location and forwared by CPS.
The batteries are obtainable locally about 5 - 8000 pesos for two. A car battery will be cheaper.
If the Wi-fi at your location is not battery backed up you will need a telephone line / ASDL from Claro ( was Codeltel) If you are not internet intensive then 3G dongle is possible but there are limits on capacity.
A full ASDL line with TV will run to approx $40 a month.
I have found ASDL/Claro internet via tel line 99.9% relieable. The ASDL box needs running from your emergency power.

Total cost should be less than $500 plus whatever Claro require as deposit - I think 1000 pesos.

Hope this helps. Your could bring charger & inverter with you - charger 3 lbs, inverter 3 lbs.

This is based on laptop working under no-power situations - but laptops are powerful nowdays and have built in 4 hour batteries.

The routine is always ensure batteries are nearly fully charged and partially discharge every month or so

pi2

Thanks again.Im coming from Thailand so cant bring anything,Have to buy all there.I will sure get a ASDL/Claro and also 3G dongle as just emergency if everything fails.

crille30

Dec 13, 2011
Many parts of the wonderful town of Sosua have nearly 24/7 electricity which means for the DR, most of the time. Check ahead before you rent. The fuel to run a generator makes that electricity very expensive usnless shared by a lot of people. Some developers have found a new way to make $ by installing two meters on the houses. One meter is Eden Norte (public system) and the other is for their own diesel generator supplied electricity. Guess which costs more!! Plus the cost of the public electricty is already very high so you can imagine what the "developer" charges for his generator.

Thanks for that,good to know when I look for place to rent.