Looking for a moped...AHHHHHHHH

brittopher

Banned
Mar 13, 2012
My boyfriend and I just moved here and are planing on staying anywhere from 6months to a year, and we are looking to buy a used moped, but have no idea where to go about doing this, or even what a good price would be. We are living in cabarete, any help would be great

Thanks!

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
First step is to make sure your life insurance policy is paid up. Then be sure your will have your last will and testament up to date and in a safe place where your survivors will be able to easily locate it. Then shop around for a really good health insurance policy (Humano has a good rep). Next, have fun on the new scooter and dont worry about a thing.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
try and buy from a gringo. Look in adscene (the free local magazine, new edition out tomorrow) or online at:
Dominican Republic Classifieds | Dominican Classified Ads | Free Ads

30,000$ will buy you a really good used scooter, 10-15000 something still good but may have seen better days

avoid chinese! Honda cubs are old-looking but very reliable and cheap to maintain

good luck

Vinyasa is correct. the adscene is a good place to begin your look; i got 2 motorcycles in there for sale. One is Honda CBR1000RR, and the other is a KTM 950sm...probably a little too much for your needs.:knockedou

Frank

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I would recommend going to Moca to get a Dominican price. Stop by Panco motors and tell Nene Ing. Chi sent you.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
newly-arrived gringos in Moca do not get dominican prices

Be careful of Dominican Math.

For example:

$70 pesos for a regulator.
$10 pesos for a hose clamp
$20 pesos discount
----

Total: $100 pesos

Oh! You're right, $20 peso discount.

$100 - $20 = $80 pesos total

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
I would recommend going to Moca to get a Dominican price. Stop by Panco motors and tell Nene Ing. Chi sent you.

WOW!!!! This will be a first, but here it goes.

Chip is right, you will get much better prices for mopeds in Moca, and I can recommend PancHo (typo by Chip). I cannot comment on the fact if the recommandation by Chi would help, as I have no idea.

I bought my moped from Pancho in Jarabacoa (they have 3 or 4 outlets..), and played it safe by first sending a local friend to ask for the price. Afterwards they quoted me the exact same price. I haggled over the price, and it went down from 32,000 rds to 25,000 rds. They gave me a 6 month warranty, and a free insurance for a year (the great value of 300 rds). I only had a problem with the gas-meter, but they fixed that with a new part without any argument.

I have read prices of mopeds and scooters on the NC, and they are way higher than the prices of Pancho. They sell used ones as well.

So go for it...

BelgianK

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
newly-arrived gringos in Moca do not get dominican prices
Slight flaw in your statement, and it's because you are unaware of how that industry works in the DR.

There is little profit in selling a moto. In fact, if you offer cash you will not get much of a discount.

Moto dealers make their $$$ from charging 3-3.5% per month interest on financing motos.

The motos are sold to make a loan, not to make $$$ from their sale.

The motos that are "deals" tend to be the ones that buyers generally don't want and the dealer is trying to dump them.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
I actually bought the moto, a model you see thousands of in this country, on an interest-free loan of 3 months from Pancho. I only took the loan because somebody told me you could build up your credit this way.

I also heard the price-difference for a yamaha 125 can be as much as 20,000 rds between the NC and Moca.

BelgianK

Major448

Silver
Sep 8, 2010
... sold to make a loan, not to make $$$ from their sale ....

And this is exactly the SAME (familiar) business model of many (most?) "used-car" dealers in the states. Nothing really wrong with it ... it's just that most people don't take time to understand how it all really works .... and what it means to one's budget.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
And this is exactly the SAME (familiar) business model of many (most?) "used-car" dealers in the states. Nothing really wrong with it ... it's just that most people don't take time to understand how it all really works .... and what it means to one's budget.
And if you're a slick talker you can take advantage of a naive, poor, trusting local and get him to co-sign the loan...without that naive, poor, trusting local knowing he's indebting himself. (But of course, there's ~always~ an excuse :cheeky:)

Been known to happen...

BTW: buying a moto on credit from a small buy-here-pay-here dealer doesn't do squat for your local credit rating. Borrowing from a bank or credit union does; but you'll still have a credit report from your home country pulled first.

And most folks who understand banking and debt understand that a co-signer gets the credit report entries in his name, not the co-signee...

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
The new fereteria in Sosua, Papaterra is flogging brand new Yamaha Cryptons for RD64,000. That sounds cheap to me?

Frank12, giz a go on your Fireblade..............Please?!!!!!!!!!

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
The new fereteria in Sosua, Papaterra is flogging brand new Yamaha Cryptons for RD64,000. That sounds cheap to me?

Could you translate this? It sounds funny!

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago

They're going for around 40 something in Moca, to be paid in three months.

Heck, I bought my Yamaha 125 which is the best bike Yamaha sells here(of the small bikes) was RD61k at Panchos.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
They're going for around 40 something in Moca, to be paid in three months.

Heck, I bought my Yamaha 125 which is the best bike Yamaha sells here(of the small bikes) was RD61k at Panchos.
The Yamahammer YBE125 and the Honda Storm are the highest quality small motorcycles sold in the DR.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
After 35 years of motors I can agree 100% with your wife's primo.

I had Yamaha's: nice bikes and reliable
I had Kawasaki's: rather nice bikes and somewhat reliable
I had the brains to stay away from the English ones, and from what my friends, who owned one, told me, I was lucky.
I had a friend with the dealership for Belgium for Ducati: nice bikes, love the ride, love the design, not so crazy about the maintenance...
Never was a fan for the Harley. Not my style, that is all...
I had 1 Suzuki SV650: for 3 months, and sold it. Hated it. Bad balance, poorly performing engine...

I had numerous Honda's: I do not know how they do it, but their balance is perfect, their mechanics are perfect and low maintenance, the ride is perfect...

Honda is by far the best motorcycle around... no doubts about it...

Come on, Harley fans, let me have it... lol

BelgianK