Gift giving: What do you suggest?

jackcrew

Aug 5, 2010
I have a friend in the Dominican Republic (yes, that kind of friend). Anyway I was considering giving a gift but I would like to forgo regular commodities such as shoes, clothes, perfume, etc. Instead I was contemplating giving a service-gift such as a trip to the dentist (check-up, x-rays, cleaning, basic stuff). But I am not sure if this is a good gift or even a necessary gift.

Do Dominicans have good dental service? Do they normally get basic yearly check-ups provided by the state, etc? Do those from poverty or the lower classes have their yearly visits? Or is this generally considered low of the list of priorities? Most have beautiful teeth, but so do I until I walk into the dentist's office and suddenly I need fillings, root canals, etc., etc.

So what does everyone think, is a dental exam a good gift? Or just stick with a bottle of perfume?

nakom

Jan 26, 2011
A great gift for anyone in a foreign country regardless of age, gender, or economic status is something that is not available in their home country. Dominicans in general (women especially) love things that their friends and neighbors do not have and can not get.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
If she's "that kind of friend" she's likely not going to appreciate a day at the dentist as a gift...a "spa day" maybe..but even that's pushing it. nakom above is correct, and like it or not...the jewelry/shoes/perfume is more in line with what she'd expect and/or likely appreciate.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Its a friend with benefits (FWB).Stop being so sensible. Clothes, clothes, clothes, then jewelery. Women want to show off to other women. A trip to the dentist - sounds like you are serious and in it for the long haul. Dentist can wait till after the wedding.

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
And to answer your question "Do those from poverty or the lower classes have their yearly visits?"
No, not on the list of priorities. Look at how many older folks have 1/2 mouth of teeth. There are decent Dentists but they can't afford it.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
Wow... how romantic. LOL OK.. granted, good intentions; BUT HAVE YOU EVER HAD A RELATIONSHIP WITH A WOMAN????

GEEZZZZZZ ... I think if I had ever given a gift of a dental visit to ANY woman, she would have turned into Lorena Bobbit (look it up), and I'd be talking two octaves higher.

dude.. if you value the family jewels, get her a girly gift. jewelry, maybe clothes, something nice.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Now, youre talking, a high end cell phone, ultimate show off gift. Dom chicas want show off gifts. Teeth are not important until they lose a few.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Pretty much like giving your wife a new blender or washing machine for her birthday. If you go that way make sure it is something she cannot throw, or is too heavy to throw. And start practising abstinence, and groveling...

BelgianK

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Get her what any other young woman would want-perfume, clothes and maybe a handbag so she can look and smell good when her Dominican boyfriend takes her to the caba?a.

As for an expensive phone, all her friends will tell her "sell it and tell him you broke it" so he can send you another one to sell again.

Or it will fall off the back of a moto as her boyfriend drops it while calling his cueros del diablo all over the barrio.