Need "New Mexico" chilis

southwardbound2

Jun 5, 2008
Cannot find our favorite Mexican dish here.......Chili Verde (kind of stew made with pork). Latest Mexican restaurants don't know what we are talking about when we ask.

So am going to have to make it myself. However, I need a source for the New Mexico Chilis which range from mild to hot.....we prefer the medium.....my favorite variety is "Big Jim", but not going to be picky. These are large chilis and NOT jalape?os or serranos (both are small and way to spicy for the large quantities used in Chili Verde. Anyone know if someone is raising chilis in the DR?

Canned are not nearly as tasty, but work. Here is a picture of what I need.....brand is not important. They are also not pickled or in vinegar; just roasted, peeled and canned in their own juice.

Chiles_Original-Fire-Roasted-Whole-Green27ozCAN_WS300x380.png

Anyone seen the large cans anywhere? I have found the tiny cans of chopped chili at National in SD, but prohibitively expensive except maybe for making a batch of guacamole. I use at least two large cans per batch of Chile Verde. And for Chili Rellanos or topping on a burger I need whole, but could used chopped for anything else.

OBTW, I have found decent flour tortillas (to serve with the chili or make into burritos) at Playero in Sousa in same place as they have the Mexican food. They are not found in the freezer as I would have expected!

Thanks for any help you can provide. Mi esposo is going into withdrawal........

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
I have seen the canned ones a while ago in Playero. Let me think. They were either in the isle across from the tomato-paste, or in the isle with the canned veggies. Another possibility are the products over the freezer.

There is somebody here growing chilies. I met her when she was selling them to the Thai restaurant Chili in La Mulata. So, I suggest that you go and have a great Thai meal and ask Pazquiel, the owner, for the contact info. He is a great guy and sure to help you out.

Hope this helps, and if you do find them, and make that recipe, let us know the recipe. I love Mexican food.

BelgianK

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Last week in Playero I noticed for the first time, fresh large poblano chilis...I think this is what you would use for chilis relleno, and I assume Chili Verde.

And the tortillas you're referring to are made by "Maria's" from Los Jardines in Santiago. These are the same ones they use at Gordito's (and the same ones I use!)

HumbleHindu

Jan 14, 2010
From last year farmers started to grow Poblanos, Serranos, Jalapenos, Hungarian Wax - sweet & Hot and Long hots. So i do come across fresh ones of these peppers quite a few times in the supermarket. The other varieties like Finger Hots, Thai Chilles, Cubanela, Habaneros are always to find.

southwardbound2

Jun 5, 2008
I have seen the canned ones a while ago in Playero. Let me think. They were either in the isle across from the tomato-paste, or in the isle with the canned veggies. Another possibility are the products over the freezer.

There is somebody here growing chilies. I met her when she was selling them to the Thai restaurant Chili in La Mulata. So, I suggest that you go and have a great Thai meal and ask Pazquiel, the owner, for the contact info. He is a great guy and sure to help you out.

Hope this helps, and if you do find them, and make that recipe, let us know the recipe. I love Mexican food.

BelgianK
Thank you. I will look for them in those places.....Playero's organization has always been a puzzle to me.

Will also try the Thai restaurant for locating a local grower. However, Thai chilis are much too hot for this dish or other Mexican recipes. Chili Verde has a very strong "chili" flavor that is not just the heat......it has a LOT of chilis in it so they cannot be very hot.....

And I am happy to share my Mexican food.....I usually make a large batch and freeze some anyway. Where do you live?? I live in Cabarete.

southwardbound2

Jun 5, 2008
Last week in Playero I noticed for the first time, fresh large poblano chilis...I think this is what you would use for chilis relleno, and I assume Chili Verde.

And the tortillas you're referring to are made by "Maria's" from Los Jardines in Santiago. These are the same ones they use at Gordito's (and the same ones I use!)

YES!! I also just found those Poblanos. Now, they were a very dark green which is new to me. But I am roasting them now and will just have to see if they will work. Poblanos are great for Chili Rellano and are just a bit hotter (usually) than the New Mexico chilis, but certainly worth a try!! Will report back here after cooking and sampling....

The tortillas I found are "Old El Paso" brand and look like they are from the USA. I would MUCH prefer local ones, so I will check Playero again and look for "Maria's". Thanks!

southwardbound2

Jun 5, 2008
From last year farmers started to grow Poblanos, Serranos, Jalapenos, Hungarian Wax - sweet & Hot and Long hots. So i do come across fresh ones of these peppers quite a few times in the supermarket. The other varieties like Finger Hots, Thai Chilles, Cubanela, Habaneros are always to find.
In which supermarket are you finding these chilis? Sounds like my kind of place......I live in Cabarete.
Poblanos are probably going to work (cooking as I type this). But the Jalape?o is too hot for the quantity used in this recipe; although are great for other Mexican stuff like garnishing nachos and putting in homemade pico de gallo and gazpacho. Serranos are getting into the "too hot for me" catagory and Habaneros are dangerous......as are Thai. Hugarian Wax and Finger hots are new to me and Cubanellas are not hot enough and not meaty enough for Mexican cooking.

southwardbound2

Jun 5, 2008
OK, these poblanos are going to work. They are a little hotter than my "ideal chili", but not bad at all. I wish they were a bit meatier too. BUT there will be Chili Verde in this household tonight!!

Still wish I could find some "Big Jim" as they are just plain perfect.

A note on hotness though. One never knows the level of heat that will be in any particular variety because growing conditions will change it.....so always sample your chilis after roasting to know what you are working with before putting in the recipe.....

southwardbound2

Jun 5, 2008
My maid now knows how to roast, peel and seed chilis.

She also thinks I am loco......ruining perfectly good cerdo with inedibly spicy chilis!! She declined my offer of some Chili Verde to take home.

But she was happy to take the extra pork roast slices I didn't need this time. I had a bit of a struggle getting a pork roast out of the butcher at Playero. They don't have any out and I had to work at my bad Spanish to get them to cut one.....got it done eventually. After roasting, I was quite pleased with this cut of meat and will get it again to use just as a roast.....it was excellent.

HumbleHindu

Jan 14, 2010
I used to check in La Sirena and would find them occasionally. I work in this field and normally take them from the exporters. But i know they sell in Chinese stores in Santo Domingo because I know the guy who collects the second quality from the exporters and sell them to the Super markets.My favorite is always Thai Chillies and to some extent Finger Hots. Some varieties are planted only once in a year and by May it will be over.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
YES!! I also just found those Poblanos. Now, they were a very dark green which is new to me. But I am roasting them now and will just have to see if they will work. Poblanos are great for Chili Rellano and are just a bit hotter (usually) than the New Mexico chilis, but certainly worth a try!! Will report back here after cooking and sampling....

The tortillas I found are "Old El Paso" brand and look like they are from the USA. I would MUCH prefer local ones, so I will check Playero again and look for "Maria's". Thanks!

I think Maria's are much better than El Paso....they have a whole section at Playero with whole wheat, corn, and flour in different sizes...

And so you know...I live in Cabarete also and am a great chili (and any food) tester! :bunny:

bryan1258

Bronze
Dec 24, 2007
I know this is slightly different than the OP's request. I really, really need to find some Mexican chili POWDER, not the asian chili powder, totally different. I've checked in La Sarina, nope. Playero, nope. Anyone?

southwardbound2

Jun 5, 2008
I used to check in La Sirena and would find them occasionally. I work in this field and normally take them from the exporters. But i know they sell in Chinese stores in Santo Domingo because I know the guy who collects the second quality from the exporters and sell them to the Super markets.My favorite is always Thai Chillies and to some extent Finger Hots. Some varieties are planted only once in a year and by May it will be over.
OK, I am checking La Sirena in POP then. But the Thai and the other super hot ones are not for Mexican dishes.

southwardbound2

Jun 5, 2008
I know this is slightly different than the OP's request. I really, really need to find some Mexican chili POWDER, not the asian chili powder, totally different. I've checked in La Sarina, nope. Playero, nope. Anyone?
For making what recipe? There are several kinds.....
I might have some "chili powder", red kind that you can make chili con carne, TexMex style with beans and meat........is that what you need? It's a mixture of several spices actually....

bryan1258

Bronze
Dec 24, 2007
For making texmex chili. I used to buy it back home. It was just a generic Mexican chili powder. Sorry that's as detailed as I can get.