Our Life in the Dominican Republic

kampinge

Jan 18, 2012
Depending what you are doing here. Doing business here is often not that wonderful. Driving a car is a nightmare, drinking a beer in a Colmado can be really dangerous, just walking around at darkness I would not recommend.

But.... drinking beers in a resort and relax is wonderful, here and in many other countries.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Depending what you are doing here. Doing business here is often not that wonderful. Driving a car is a nightmare, drinking a beer in a Colmado can be really dangerous, just walking around at darkness I would not recommend.

But.... drinking beers in a resort and relax is wonderful, here and in many other countries.

Oh.... brother.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008

Business is a risk here unless you keep your wits about you.
Driving is fine if you keep your wits about and have all the paperwork in order.
Drinking a beer in a colmado is fine if you keep your wits about you.
Walking around after dark is fine if you keep your wits about you.

In summary - If you are witless then yes, you are better off keeping to the AIs.

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
Business is a risk....ah, er...anywhere.
Driving is a risk...ah, er...anywhere.
Drinking a beer in a grocery store is a risk...ah, er...anywhere
Walking after dark is a risk...ah, er...anywhere.

Honestly, I've been here for a decade and there is nothing more or less dangerous or risky here than anywhere else I've lived on the planet. The biggest difference I have seen here is lack of social supports for 'stupid decisions.' In other words, you can drink and drive in the US but there are enforced rules against it and strong social stigma against it so people seldom do it.

Seriously, in the Dominican Republic you are able to be your own man or your own woman without Big Brother peering into your every move or "society" telling you how to live or over regulations eroding entrepreneurial spirit. You are in control. But with that control comes a lot of responsibility for yourself that previously you've (probably unwittingly) left to others.

Edward Rivas

Mar 16, 2012
www.goldenkeymanagement.com
I read a lot about huge ponzi schemes and countless dangerous business deals in large developed countries, so why care about small deals in a small island? anywhere in the world business has risks, all it takes is good research before you sign anything and commit any money. Most people just want everything to be done quicker, and there lies the danger.

Regarding drinks, it`s a danger if you`re not smart enough to know which colmado to visit. BTW, not all Dominicans drink in colmados, there`s a lot of nice bars, clubs, caf?s, liquor stores... you need to come down here more often. Driving is dangerous when you`re not paying attention, still my insurance rate hasn`t been increased in a long time. If you can`t walk in the dark and be a man, stay home.

I lived in Santo Domingo and wondered why I never got mugged, then read an article that explained how thieves select their victims, it seems some people look and act like easier targets. Read a little more and you`ll learn how to live anywhere.

Randall Bell

Feb 17, 2012
Dear Kampigne,

I love the DR, and I'm not going anywhere. I do however understand your frustration, especially if you live in Santo Domingo. There are two key thing that bother me about this city. But these things exist a lot less depending on what social class and what city you reisde:

1. The lack of 'collectivism'. People don't think of 'us', they think of just 'me'. This is what causes corruption, the lack of a functioning 911 system, and the inability of ambulances to be effective, and the constant cycle of police impunity. I suggested to my vecinos - let's all take an afternoon and some shovels and fix the potholes on our road, nobody showed up :(. no mi faulta everyone says... grrr.

2. the fact that several times i've seen people fighting after a car accident, and they're not fighting to clear the way for the ambulance - but fighting to steal stuff from the car of the victims. so sad :(

But don't let these negative things weigh you down. there are negatives all over the world, and on balance, DR positives outweight the negatives - especially if you have a bit of cash!

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com

I'm glad you live in a different Dominican Republic to me.

Next...