Decent Internet Without Contract

Reasonable Man

Dec 23, 2011
Hey all, so I'm just getting back from an amazing spring break trip to the Dominican Republic, and already have another one for the summertime planned I wanted to see if someone could help me with an issue. While I was down there I locked myself into an 18 month contract with Orange, for their Flybox internet with a 3GB plan. For those of you who aren't familiar with it her it is:

Huawei B260 (flybox)

While it served the general purpose of my internet usage (checking email, news, sports) I found it it to be unbearable to try and use Netflix or watch any sort of video. And Once my speed slowed down because I had reach my quota I wanted to kill myself. Since I have an 18 month contract, I choose to leave it with my parents who are retiring to the country, they will be in Santiago Rodriguez, when I return this summer, and I will be spending most of my time in Santo Domingo. I was wondering if anyone knew of a decent internet that didn't require a contract, I don't want to sign another 18 month contract when I'm only going to be in the country 2 months this summer.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me how decent this is:

ZTE MF637 - USB

or something similar, where I can get the most bang for my buck. Money isn't an issue, it's the whole wrapped up in the contract that kills me. I know this sort of thread is probably made a dozen times a week, but I using advance search could probably do me some good, but I thought a thread would be a better idea. Thanks!

HumbleHindu

Jan 14, 2010
You can get it without the contract by paying the cost of the modem. Regarding to the speed it is questionable. Everything has ceiling for usage but there are some higher plans. Only in fixed line you can get the constant speed. Even this sometime sucks.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
ZTE MF637 - USB

I have one of these, but I only use it for a back up if something happens to my landline based Claro system. I only used it two or three times, as Claro has been very good for me.

I bought it and did not take a contract, as you can just deposit money and as long as there is pesos in your account you just plug it in and it works. When you plug it in your USB port it bills you for a 24 hour period. I think the price is about 120pesos. If you take it out and use it again in the same time period you don't pay extra.

I tested speed, and got about 1.2 down and .5 up, more than enough for video if that is what you want. As far as throttling, I did not see any of this, as you use it in 24 hour increments.

Reasonable Man

Dec 23, 2011
Take a 12 contract with Claro and then toclose the contract it only costs 2,400RD,simple!

Is that the actual rate for closing the contract? Since I don't live in the country everyone's told me to just take out a contract, and simply bounce when I'm done with my trip, and don't worry about it. My only issue is that whenever I have more than 3 weeks worth of vacation from school (Winter break, Summer break) I visit, I'd hate to be in bad standing with every single ISP, and not be able to get an internet service.

Reasonable Man

Dec 23, 2011
Also, I wouldn't mind breaking contract, and canceling it only after 1 month if the cancellation fee isn't something outrageous. I'm currently stuck with SKY Cable, and while it's alright I really wished I had done research, and gotten something a bit better. Now the only way to get out of my contract is to pay the remaining months, plus a 20% fee on whatever the total balance is which would run me north of $700 dollars at this point, so if anyone knows any ISP that charges you a small fee for cancellation that would be great.

Twix

Banned
Feb 23, 2011
Take a 12 contract with Claro and then toclose the contract it only costs 2,400RD,simple!

That is not true at all, I have claro and if I wanted to cancel it I have to pay the remaining months of the contract. Don't even both bother asking claro if it actually costs 2,400 to close the account because they will tell you anything to sign the contract and then you're screwed.

Reasonable Man

Dec 23, 2011
That is not true at all, I have claro and if I wanted to cancel it I have to pay the remaining months of the contract. Don't even both bother asking claro if it actually costs 2,400 to close the account because they will tell you anything to sign the contract and then you're screwed.

Thanks! I think I'll just take out the Orange USB internet that way I don't have to worry about the contract issue.