Orange Blackberry Full, tethering & streaming...

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
So I finally ditched that "Social" plan for my Orange Blackberry 9300...

I now have the Blackberry Full, coupled with "Plan Ardilla" (60mn of calls for 320rd$).

I will pay around 1400rd$ monthly, instead of the 1024rd$ I was paying with Social+Ardilla.

It works fine, I can surf from the cellphone, which is not bad when I am stuck somewhere, waiting for something.

But since I am also interested with using my blackberry as a modem when I am on the road (that is tethering), I found the proper information to do so:

Planes Blackberry en Orange Rep?blica Dominicana

That is once "Full" plan is activated, send a SMS to 3500 with the word "MODEM", and you will receive confirmation. (same goes for "STREAMING" in order to watch YouTube videos).

But the problem is that Orange network is experimenting issues these days, and instead of confirming the service, it just answers "Red fuera de servicio", which means "Network out of service".

After various calls to *555 (ext 2, then 1, then 3), I managed to get a confession from one of the reps: the 3500 service is down right now, and we don't know when it will work again.

-Any of you DR1ers can share their experience with tethering Orange Blackberry ?

(FYI I manually set the APN to orangenet.com.do)

Squat

Jan 1, 2002
So here's a little update for fellow Orange BlackBerry users.

I just received a sms from 511, telling me the BBmodem was up & running. So I proceeded to test it once I was in front of my Windows desktop, with the BlackBerry desktop software.

Indeed, it connects at once now... But the speed is 115kb/s !!!! I am a bit disappointed not to get (at least) 256kb/s, but what can I say... Orange never promised anything about download speed in the BBmodem service...

Squat

Jan 1, 2002
By the way, streaming works fine now (that is watching YouTube videos, or listening to online radio)

I just followed those infos:

proceso y activaci?n servicio Streaming

Ya puedes ver videos en YouTube, escuchar tu emisora de radio favorita y acceder a contenido streaming sin costo adicional, con tu BlackBerry de Orange.

Para activarlo solo tienes que enviar un SMS al 3500 con la palabra Streaming. Recibir?s una mensaje de texto con la confirmaci?n de la activaci?n.

Si tu BlackBerry no cuenta con las funcionalidades que necesitas para activar el servicio, puedes activarlo realizando los siguientes pasos:

1. Enviar SMS al 3500 con la palabra MODEM

2. Entra a men? “Opciones” -> “Opciones avanzadas” -> “Libros de servicio”

3. Procede a borrar los siguientes libros de servicio de tu m?vil:

“WAP Browser Config”; “WAP2 Transport”; “WAP Push Config”

4. Sal de este men? y entra a “Opciones avanzadas” -> “TCP IP”

5. En “TCP IP”, coteja la opci?n “Configuraci?n de APN activada”

6. Procede a escribir <orangenet.com.do> en el campo “APN”

7. Guarda esta configuraci?n

8. Puedes proceder a hacer streaming

Squat

Jan 1, 2002
My mistake !

I was mentioning earlier 115kb/s. This is the speed between the PC and the BB !!!!

Right now I am using the BB as my modem to post this: here?s my speedtest result:

1848108784.png