Are Snow Tires Necessary in DR?

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Yesterday I put new tires on my car.
Go into shop, ask if he has the size I need, he shows me some Coopers, gave me a price and I said ok.
40 minutes later I have 4 new tires.

Get home and take a closer look at them... Cooper WeatherMaster Snow Rated Tires!
Even have pin holes for studs!
When will I learn!? Will I learn!? Aaaaaaargh! :dead:

WeatherMasterST2-adj.jpg

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
I don't get the joke, am I being naive, dumb, stupid, all three or am I to understand this is not a joke? Do you have any idea how quickly they will wear in the heat of the DR? The entire compound for these things are different.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
I don't get the joke, am I being naive, dumb, stupid, all three or am I to understand this is not a joke? Do you have any idea how quickly they will wear in the heat of the DR? The entire compound for these things are different.

Not a joke.... and yes, realize they're made with softer rubber and designed for sub-zero temps, treadwear will be horrible in this heat, and safety may be an issue. I'm going to go back and swap them out for 'normal' tires.

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
Just about everything sold in the DR is: a closeout, overrun, discontinued, last year's model, return, rebuilt, refurbished, or knockoff, brought to the DR in bulk by a liquidator. Did you buy those tires from an authorized Cooper dealer?

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Just about everything sold in the DR is: a closeout, overrun, discontinued, last year's model, return, rebuilt, refurbished, or knockoff, brought to the DR in bulk by a liquidator. Did you buy those tires from an authorized Cooper dealer?
Not always.

The harsh truth is most Dominicans can't afford the top shelf items.

You can find them, however. You just have to research.

Xpress Dominicana

Jun 23, 2010
Yes, the tires can by really helpfully here, when you live in the campo, cruising rivers and so! Especially in el Cibao where are the red alumina!! Ask the campesinos, they are looking allways for tires like that!!

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
High Gauge tread are different to snow tyres, snow tyres will kickout snow but on mud they will fill the tread and begin to act as slicks once back on the road, which is massively dangerous. This is to do with the burring on the heat of the tread edge, then the collection of mud, and the mud then has nowhere to expel as the bur on the tread has it locked in.Snow tyres are dangerous to go from mud to road. In the cold the burring doesn't happen and so the snow can be expelled constantly, which is after all the design feature and structure of the tyre complete. I suppose you might get away with themif the temps are down and in mud, but not in DR, they are a liability in almost every way. Tread, compound, and they need to run at lower pressures which will wear them quicker anyway.

Last edited:

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hi:
If you can't swap them I wouldn't worry about it they will perform well here in all conditions, besides you might get stuck in the sand and then this tire may be of value.

LTS

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
Just read a review on these tires. Said they were great on snow. Good on ice when studs added. But, the sucked in rain and slush due to hydroplaning. I guess you can avoid the snow, ice and slush in the DR, but the rain?

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Just read a review on these tires. Said they were great on snow. Good on ice when studs added. But, the sucked in rain and slush due to hydroplaning. I guess you can avoid the snow, ice and slush in the DR, but the rain?

read the same

pas

Jun 7, 2004
yes i can believe that...
i even had a rentel car one time with 2 snow tires on it

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
I used to race rally UK and can assure you snow tyres are probably the worst thing you can use in rain or tarmac. They hold little contact/coverage on tarmac and in the rain the water has nowhere to go and so you will aquaplane at any speed over 60mph possibly less, absolutely no control at all even in a straight line. Wets are designed to shoot the water out of the tyre at 35-45%, snow tyre velocity releases the snow in the tread on decompression of each turn,hence in soft snow are run at a much lower pressure, as it gets more icy the pressure can/should be increased.
Don't use them in DR, even if you run high pressure and drive slow they will be through in a few months at very best.
Take em back and demand some tyres,not snow treads, you'll end up killing someone.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
"I'm going to go back and swap them out for 'normal' tires." Be sure and come back and let us know how you make out. Everything I have ever bought in the DR was a final, no returns accepted sale. Wife could not believe that in gringoland we return everyting for a full no questions asked refund. My learning experience started with lightbulbs bought in Playereo that did not work. When I told the wife I was returning it, she laughed at me. I though I will show her. Well, she had the first and last laugh. Now, I check everything before I pay, including light bulbs. In the supermarket they even have a light bulb socket and IF you ask they will try each one to make sure it works. Its my understanding that once the money hits their hand its a done deal. Good luck, wish you the best with the tire swap.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I have NEVER heard of good tires/tyres here........... always second grade.

Do yourself a favor/favour and ship good ones in............

It will pay for itself.

Gdeleon

Sep 26, 2011
"I'm going to go back and swap them out for 'normal' tires." Be sure and come back and let us know how you make out. Everything I have ever bought in the DR was a final, no returns accepted sale. Wife could not believe that in gringoland we return everyting for a full no questions asked refund. My learning experience started with lightbulbs bought in Playereo that did not work. When I told the wife I was returning it, she laughed at me. I though I will show her. Well, she had the first and last laugh. Now, I check everything before I pay, including light bulbs. In the supermarket they even have a light bulb socket and IF you ask they will try each one to make sure it works. Its my understanding that once the money hits their hand its a done deal. Good luck, wish you the best with the tire swap.

One of the reasons that returns are difficult here is that unlike in some other countries, the wholesalers to the retail stores usually do not receive anything back from the retailer, so any return the retailer accepts is a direct loss for the store. In contrast, A friend of mine sells to Walmart in the USA and he must absorb all returns that they have of his product.