Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Are Snow Tires Necessary in DR?

Yesterday I put new tires on my car.
    Go into shop, ask if he has the size I need, he shows me some Coopers, gave me a price and I said ok.
    40 minutes later I have 4 new tires.

Get home and take a closer look at them... Cooper WeatherMaster Snow Rated Tires!
    Even have pin holes for studs!
    When will I learn!? Will I learn!? Aaaaaaargh!

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

you must be kidding....

T.E.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't get the joke, am I being naive, dumb, stupid, all three or am I to understand this is not a joke? Do you have any idea how quickly they will wear in the heat of the DR? The entire compound for these things are different.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Givadogahome View Post
    I don't get the joke, am I being naive, dumb, stupid, all three or am I to understand this is not a joke? Do you have any idea how quickly they will wear in the heat of the DR? The entire compound for these things are different.
    Not a joke.... and yes, realize they're made with softer rubber and designed for sub-zero temps, treadwear will be horrible in this heat, and safety may be an issue. I'm going to go back and swap them out for 'normal' tires.

5. Likes Givadogahome liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Just about everything sold in the DR is: a closeout, overrun, discontinued, last year's model, return, rebuilt, refurbished, or knockoff, brought to the DR in bulk by a liquidator. Did you buy those tires from an authorized Cooper dealer?

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

I wonder how many people have brought those tires and had no idea. hehehe

8. Likes KateP liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by belmont View Post
    Just about everything sold in the DR is: a closeout, overrun, discontinued, last year's model, return, rebuilt, refurbished, or knockoff, brought to the DR in bulk by a liquidator. Did you buy those tires from an authorized Cooper dealer?
    Not always.

The harsh truth is most Dominicans can't afford the top shelf items.

You can find them, however. You just have to research.

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cobraboy View Post
    Not always.

The harsh truth is most Dominicans can't afford the top shelf items.

You can find them, however. You just have to research.
    Plus many don't know what would be considered top shelf in the USA, Europe etc.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, the tires can by really helpfully here, when you live in the campo, cruising rivers and so! Especially in el Cibao where are the red alumina!! Ask the campesinos, they are looking allways for tires like that!!

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

High Gauge tread are different to snow tyres, snow tyres will kickout snow but on mud they will fill the tread and begin to act as slicks once back on the road, which is massively dangerous. This is to do with the burring on the heat of the tread edge, then the collection of mud, and the mud then has nowhere to expel as the bur on the tread has it locked in.Snow tyres are dangerous to go from mud to road. In the cold the burring doesn't happen and so the snow can be expelled constantly, which is after all the design feature and structure of the tyre complete. I suppose you might get away with themif the temps are down and in mud, but not in DR, they are a liability in almost every way. Tread, compound, and they need to run at lower pressures which will wear them quicker anyway.
    Last edited by Givadogahome; 03-16-2012 at 10:55 AM.

13. Likes frank12 liked this post
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast