Dead whale in Puerto Plata shores...

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
I am listening the news online and some of my friends in FB are posting pictures of the deceased whale at El Malecon of Puerto Plata city.

Anyone have more info about this?

JJ

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
That's too bad :( What they mention in the article about pulling it out to high sea I think is a good idea. If not, it'll stink up the Malecon big time. Hopefully no one will get the ingenius idea of blowing it up right there...

joseafer

Mar 12, 2012
www.thef1.com
its a shame things like this never handle with timely importance here, i heard that any government institution have done nothen so far,and that poor animal may be remove asap from there

May 29, 2006
That's too bad :( What they mention in the article about pulling it out to high sea I think is a good idea. If not, it'll stink up the Malecon big time. Hopefully no one will get the ingenius idea of blowing it up right there...

It certainly will. Dead whale carcasses are one of the few things that even sea gulls won't touch. Marine biologists doing necropsies track down the ones floating in the ocean use specially trained dogs.

web

Nov 5, 2005
I am listening the news online and some of my friends in FB are posting pictures of the deceased whale at El Malecon of Puerto Plata city.

Anyone have more info about this?

JJ

I went over there, lots of people and it is starting to smell bad. The policia have the area roped off and you can only get a brief glimpse of the whale obviously a humpback.

jad604

Nov 17, 2011
Shark Food?

It certainly will. Dead whale carcasses are one of the few things that even sea gulls won't touch. Marine biologists doing necropsies track down the ones floating in the ocean use specially trained dogs.

I saw on NGTV that sharks of different species feed on dead whale carcasses, if that's true it should be towed away ASAP. Are there sharks near? If so what kind?

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
Can anyone enlighten me as to what eventually happened to this animal? Towed out to sea? Left to rot (I think not, I would have noticed the smell), sold to a visiting gringo with deslinde and title document, chopped into steaks by the locals and put on the menu at Playa Dorada, or what?

Festero

Dec 15, 2002
Towed out to sea. I took this photo a few hours before it was hauled away. It seemed like half of POP was on the malecon to check out the whale.

POP2012_003.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
wow, puts size into perspective, huge!! Thanks for the pic I couldn't access the others for some reason.

Sure all the locals would drop everything to get down to see something dead, it is dead after all.