Request for information about St Michael's School

JeffInMontana

Mar 17, 2012
My wife has interviewed for a teaching position at St Michael's School in Santo Domingo. I can find very little information about St Michael's other than on their web site so I am hoping to get some objective outside information about the school before we commit ourselves. In particular:

How good is the school? Our 14 year old son will be attending St Michael's if we make the move.

What is it like to work there? Are any current or former teachers from St Michael's reading this?

What is the area around the school like? We have been told that the school provides furnished apartments across the street or around the corner from the school.

Given that our housing is provided by the school and the starting salaries are around $19,000, what kind of lifestyle can we expect?

Any other information about what to expect or how to help our son adapt would be appreciated.

EverythingJeff

Oct 31, 2010
www.facebook.com
I know 6 teachers there; I'm not an expert, but I can help.

From what I understand, the school is above average for both teachers and students.

The foreign teachers are all in their 20's though, if that matters to you.

The area is great, the apartment across the street is great inside and out for the four apartments I've seen. There is also a building around the corner they use also.

Will you be working as well? You can do it fine I think.

14 was a horribly awkward stage for me (and maybe most kids), but he'll survive. :)

ProfessionalNYC

Mar 20, 2012
EverythingJeff, thanks for your reply to JeffinMontana. I'm actually thinking about applying to St. Michael's School as well, but not sure if $19,000.00 is sufficient to survive. I am a single male and I wouldn't really have any bills in the U.S., but I'm not sure if it is enough to live a decent life in DR. It is an added bonus that the housing is taken care of, but I also don't want to be struggling either.

Do you know if the apartments have generators, AC's? I apologize for asking so many questions, but I'm a little nervous about this move, and I'm half Dominican myself :).

Thanks for your help!

EverythingJeff

Oct 31, 2010
www.facebook.com
EverythingJeff, thanks for your reply to JeffinMontana. I'm actually thinking about applying to St. Michael's School as well, but not sure if $19,000.00 is sufficient to survive. I am a single male and I wouldn't really have any bills in the U.S., but I'm not sure if it is enough to live a decent life in DR. It is an added bonus that the housing is taken care of, but I also don't want to be struggling either.

Do you know if the apartments have generators, AC's? I apologize for asking so many questions, but I'm a little nervous about this move, and I'm half Dominican myself :).

Thanks for your help!

A single guy? Honestly, you have zero to worry about in my opinion in terms of cash floor. Spending 1500USD a month would be hard :p Most of the teachers are going out on the weekends only, and are often busy with work. I don't think you'll have the opportunity to spend the money!

I think they have AC, at least in the bedrooms, and generator.. I don't think so, but you aren't going to have blackouts.

ProfessionalNYC

Mar 20, 2012
Thanks so much! I figured I would be busy, and wouldn't have much time to go out. I'm just really nervous because I was telling some of my friends here in the states, and they told me I might have to struggle....especially if the salary is paid in pesos.

My family, although no longer living there, is from La Romana, so I'm not really familiar with the capital area. Will I need a car? Also, you said there were no blackouts; I thought they have blackouts a few times a day.

JeffInMontana

Mar 17, 2012
Thanks for the information, EverythingJeff.

It is interesting that the foreign teachers are all in their 20's. My wife and I are several decades from our 20's but I find young people generally more interesting than most of the old fogies my age.

You seem familiar with Santo Domingo and the Piantini area around St Michael's. Could you tell us some more about it? We live in a small university town in Montana (population around 30,000) and moving to Santo Domingo is going to be a big change. I taught at the American University in Cairo for a few years and, after living in Cairo, I think I can adapt to any city but my wife and son have spent most of their lives in small towns in the Rocky Mountains. Are there parks near St Michael's that we could easily walk to? How hard is it to get to El Malec?n or other parts of the waterfront in or near Santo Domingo? Will it be easy to go to the waterfront in the evening so we can have a coffee and watch people for a few hours? Are there good places in Piantini to do the coffee, people watching thing?

I am sorry to sound like such a rube about this, but we know almost nothing about Santo Domingo. She has been offered a job in Hawaii and we have been there and know what it is like. I am just trying to get a feel for what it would be like to live in Santo Domingo.

Oh yeah, ProfessionalNYC, good luck on your application ... maybe we will see you there.

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
I'm actually thinking about applying to St. Michael's School as well, but not sure if $19,000.00 is sufficient to survive. I am a single male and I wouldn't really have any bills in the U.S., but I'm not sure if it is enough to live a decent life in DR. It is an added bonus that the housing is taken care of, but I also don't want to be struggling either.
I'm a little nervous about this move, and I'm half Dominican myself :).

A lot depends on what you are used to. $19,000 in New York is a lot different than $19,000 in the DR.

If you are fresh out of college, it's a good "starter" position, but probably not something you'd make a career out of (as in raise a family.)

You'd probably regret NOT doing it, more than you would regret doing it!

ProfessionalNYC

Mar 20, 2012
Thank you, La Rubia. I make a lot more money now and I have my Master's Degree, so that is why I was a little skeptical about being able to survive. I'm sure I will have to budget and rely on some of my savings.

I really appreciate your help, as well as the comments from EverythingJeff; you both are very thoughtful and I truly appreciate the input. It's not easy to make an international move, especially when you are accustomed to a certain lifestyle.

JeffinMontana, good luck to you and your wife! Although I don't know much about Plantini, I am half Dominican, and DR is a truly beautiful country with very hospitable people; however, the lifestyle is very different from the U.S., and just like any new environment, it will take awhile for you to become accustomed to "Dominican" norms.

El Hason

Nov 7, 2013
I know no one as posted in this thread for a while so my apologies for bringing back a dead thread but was wondering if anyone out there could provide some more recent info as to salaries given to teachers that work at this institution. Any info is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance

JuanDolioLiving

Sep 7, 2010
Hello El Hason,

Those schools will pay from 2500.00USD to 4000.00USD per month depending on how you get hire and your qualifications.

Cheers,

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
Hello El Hason,

Those schools will pay from 2500.00USD to 4000.00USD per month depending on how you get hire and your qualifications.

Cheers,

How much would that range fluctuate based on how you get hired? Would it be more than $4000US for someone with a Master's and say 10 years experience?

El Hason

Nov 7, 2013
Wondering if anyone out there has any idea what amount St Michaels tops out at as far as salary is concerned for foreign hires from USA. With teaching credentials.

Sent from my LG-VS980 using Tapatalk