Fishing in Sosua- Pre-Trip Report

latitude19

May 29, 2011
Hey, Going fishing with one of the fishermen from Los Tablones, Charamicos in Sosua. Thought I would start the trip by telling him that I'm writing about the experience on the internet so that he'll think twice about the consequences of pulling a fast one. If he does well, others may go. If I write later that the trip was bad, others will probably will not be so inclined to go. Pretty simple. However, he may not really care much about the internet. In any case, can offer some entertainment and if all goes well, then a bit of info for everyone else here.

He said the fish are out about 15 or so miles and that they've been doing well. Catching quite a few dorado and an occasional tuna as well. His boat is quite small. Should be quite the experience. Am bringing 2 rods- hope they see action. ..tom

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Why not go out with a positive attitude, you might actually catch fish and have a good time, instead of threatening a barrio pescadoro...."you better catch fish or else I am gonna' trash you on the internet". You may want to bring your own life jacket and VHF handheld for a 15 mile offshore trip in a yola.

good fishing

latitude19

May 29, 2011
I'm not in the least threatening him- I'm just reporting what actually will happen. If he does good, then he'll get a good report and maybe more people will use him. I got a few bad vibes from his character, (which nobody else could see) and if I understood what he said to the cashier correctly, he is forgoing another duty that he had for tomorrow. So, I have legitimate reason to question his character.

For the record, (and as you can't read my mind) I am going with a positive FISHING attitude. I saw quite a few fish in his boat. I'm NOT going with a totally positive attitude about the FISHERMAN. I aksed Rosa's 15 year old nephew how much trust he had in him- he said 40%. Michael is 100% Dominican and a smart, good kid. He saw something sketchy in the fisherman just as I did.

You judge people a lot, and without the facts, and in my opinion not always quite correctly. Better to post fact rather than at many times (like in this case) criticism without the details such as only I was exposed to them. I DO respect you for looking out for the locals. I try to look out for them too. They've got it tough.

Good or bad, I'll let people know the outcome.

Why not go out with a positive attitude, you might actually catch fish and have a good time, instead of threatening a barrio pescadoro...."you better catch fish or else I am gonna' trash you on the internet". You may want to bring your own life jacket and VHF handheld for a 15 mile offshore trip in a yola.

good fishing

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
looking forward to the fishing report. Catchemup. Regarding the vhf handheld, is there anyone that will come out and help?
I think that they go in a group for safety.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
@latitude19 - As an experienced tournament fisherman, I would never get on any size boat unless I trusted the captain 100%. So best of luck on a panga 15 miles out in The Atlantic with someone you DO NOT trust 100%. Please report back with pictures of your catch, I mean that sincerely.

@ Zoom - yes they usually go in pairs of two-three boats for safety when going that far out in a rowboat with a 50HP Merc!

Eco-

Jan 12, 2012
Even 1/2 a mile offshore should be done with someone your really really trust. Otherwise a handheld radio, a gps, (forget the term) the thingy that you activate to let the whole world know your in deep **** (you can rent them) and maybe a lifeboat. I race sailboats offshore a few times a year and have a 100% good feeling about the captain and the rest of the crew or I stay on dry land. The sea can be a MF-er if people are not on their A game.

If you still don't have all positive feelings about the captain maybe look for another one?

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
You better leave a float plan with somebody remaing ashore with the general direction of travel and planned time of return. That being said, I wouldn't put too much faith in the Dominican search and rescue capabilities if they are notified you are overdue. Maybe friends and family can organize a search.

BTW, vhf radios only have line-of-sight capabilities. A handheld vhf has a useful range of 5 miles unless you are at a height bove the water. You are crazy to boat 15 miles off shore without an EPIRB ( Emergancy Position Indicating Radio Beacon) which can send an emergency signal that can be located by satelite and airplanes. http://www.boatus.com/boattech/vhf.htm

latitude19

May 29, 2011
Hey, Thanks for your concern. You guys are just, well, trip wrecking. If it was just me, no prob, but with Micha, should not take any chances. (Micha's dad, ironically, is a Dominican commercial fishing boat captain based in PR.) Really do appreciate your concern, you American worriers. (and possibly Canadians).

I called Micha's aunt and she agreed wth y'all. Now she will not let me go in any case!!!!!!

We're going to do Kayak River Adventures if possible.

...I grew up on the Bay of Green Bay near Lake Michigan. I grew up cruising on sailboats, kayaking and windsurfing. My dad was president of Palmer Johnson Yachts. Anybody heard of them?? I bet so.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Hey, Thanks for your concern. You guys are just, well, trip wrecking. If it was just me, no prob, but with Micha, should not take any chances. (Micha's dad, ironically, is a Dominican commercial fishing boat captain based in PR.) Really do appreciate your concern, you American worriers. (and possibly Canadians).

I called Micha's aunt and she agreed wth y'all. Now she will not let me go in any case!!!!!!

We're going to do Kayak River Adventures if possible.

...I grew up on the Bay of Green Bay near Lake Michigan. I grew up cruising on sailboats, kayaking and windsurfing. My dad was president of Palmer Johnson Yachts. Anybody heard of them?? I bet so.

Palmer Johnson was a premier yacht builder many years ago...they used to make wooden boats and they wear cheese hats to football games !

Hovnanian is a premier house builder but when I was the chef on his 132" private yacht which at the time was the largest Sport Fishing Yacht in the world it sank.

There were 2 life rafts but the first mate through one away but there was a second and that's why I am able to write this.

The secret is the ebirb as that is how they found us 80 miles offshore in NJ ....try that here.

I went fishing about a month ago on a perfect day...same story....Catching many fish....not for us.

The fun part was getting to the boat which was 2 miles offshore .

The beach to the fishing vessel left sosua beach and the engine stopped.

After 20 minutes of fixing the gas supply and travelling another 30 minutes we reach the offshore fishing vessel which was towing one of these Pangas as his engine quit or ran out of gas or he was just taking his chances with god...his 2 children were un fazed.

The passengers that were on the earlier half day cruise only caught the drifting Panga.

When our crew started the second half of the fishing day the adventure continued to go downhill.

Only one of the 3 fishing chairs were functional.

The DR has world class fishing as the seas are rough and the challengers weak.

I went to Charamicos today and saw a gringo with a 50lb Tuna on his scooter so I went down the road to the entrance of the bay were the fishermen were and don't recommend that on a scooter.

Don't know were he bought his fish but they sell them on the street and that's the new plan and will try the catamaran as the flying sub has left the building.

PC

Last edited:

latitude19

May 29, 2011
That is HLARIOUS, Mike!!! ...and what a story. I'll have to ask my dad if he knows that boat. My dad is a walking encyclopedia of boats. He was in the boat business something like 45 years.

I like: The passengers that were on the earlier half day cruise only caught the drifting Panga and:

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
That is HLARIOUS, Mike!!! ...and what a story. I'll have to ask my dad if he knows that boat. My dad is a walking encyclopedia of boats. He was in the boat business something like 45 years.

I like: The passengers that were on the earlier half day cruise only caught the drifting Panga and:

The Sinking of the Lady Anna was featured in power and moter boat magazine.

The vessel sank in august of 1992 and as soon as we all flew home to florida the hurricane struck !

That was an easy sinking but not my favorite....ask me about the one in Cannes !

Edward Rivas

Mar 16, 2012
www.goldenkeymanagement.com
Great fishing

There`s a fishing boat docked in Sosua bay ( Alberto`s Julie II ) that has given me and other friends quite good times. Recently I was there with a tourist but the water was cold, were doing bottom fishing. if you really want to have fun you need to troll, troll and keep trolling. Dorados, Marlins, Wahoo...we`ve been lucky. You can find Alberto anytime by visiting the beach and asking for him, everyone knows him.

Crytonb99

Jan 25, 2010
Anyone have any information on the upcoming XXII Blue Marlin International Fishing Tournament in the Club N?utico Cabeza de Toro from August 2nd to August 4th??? I tried to log on to the Club Nautico website but the webpage is telling me something about the page is over the limit with bandwith. I have a few fellow fishermen from th British Virgin Islands who are interested in competing in this year's tournamet. They have lots of info they want to know such as registration fee and prizes etc... If anyone here has any info please let me know.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
There`s a fishing boat docked in Sosua bay ( Alberto`s Julie II ) that has given me and other friends quite good times. Recently I was there with a tourist but the water was cold, were doing bottom fishing. if you really want to have fun you need to troll, troll and keep trolling. Dorados, Marlins, Wahoo...we`ve been lucky. You can find Alberto anytime by visiting the beach and asking for him, everyone knows him.

I hired Alberto about three years ago. Found him, and more importantly, his captain and mate, to be fine, knowledgeable guys. The boat was decent as well, and everything was in good working order.

The problem was my lack of experience. You see, we took the excursion in January, when the oceans can be (and were) rougher. Also, I failed to take my dramamine, but did succeed in staying out later than I should.

You can imagine the result. I haven't been that sick in a long time. My friends weren't much better off. I caught a dorado, but trust me, it wasn't worth it, given my ill preparation.

Stay clear of the clubs the night before, take your medication, and don't go when the weather calls for choppy waves, and you should be fine.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I sent you to the largest charter boat captain on the East Coast, if anybody knows it will be Mike.

bryan1258

Bronze
Dec 24, 2007
Take your water wings and plenty of water if your going 15 miles out in a panga. If sh!t happens you might make landfall in Cuba in three to four weeks. I hope your in better shape than the skipper, you may have to eat him.

There is a nice looking 40-45ft sport fisher at anchor in Sosua bay. You might want to check it out.